Big game snacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brats on the grill, taco dip and I'll just have to wait and see. I'm going to look in the Appetizers and Hors D'oeuvres forum. Lots of great stuff to choose from.

TexasTamale said:
mish said:
Game, what game? I'm going shopping.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Lets go Out for a nice Brunch too!...
I'm thinkin one of the Fancy Hotels Downtown 8)

Brunch & shopping, now we're talkin game plan. Cute pic :)

Honestly, I could care less who wins. I was hoping the Colts would make it but since that hope got shot down a couple weeks ago, I'll eat, drink and hope for a decent game.

There's a game? I'm going out with the girls. Lunch and maybe a movie. Care to join us girls?

i'm going out with the gals, too, if you ladies don't mind the extra company. brunch and shopping sounds good to me! :D

We're heading to my mom and dad's to watch the game since hubby screwed up the cable and we'll still be without tv. I think I'll take some of bucky's buffalo chicken dip. We're grilling burgers and will have German potato salad and all sorts of munchies. As usual there will be way too much food for 4 people! :roll:

wasabi said:
There's a game? I'm going out with the girls. Lunch and maybe a movie. Care to join us girls?

Yeah, but doesn't the game start at like 10:30 am Island time?? ;)

John

Here's some more ideas/recipes I've collected & wanted to share:Philly Cheese steak sammiches/big hogies (cold cuts etc), potato or macaroni salad, cole slaw/clam chowder/Seafood nachos/chili/hot wings/kebobs/satay (oriental dipping sauces)/Sangria/tacos or burritos/dips n chips n spreads (i.e. guacamole, bean, salsa, cheese, seafood dip)/fried ravioli/pizza, pizza, pizza/Loaded potato skins/fried mozzarella sticks/stuffed mushrooms/meatballs/mini quiches/rumaki/cheese puffs/spinach or broccoli balls/ mushroom turnovers/onion rings/egg rolls/coconut shrimp/prawns wrapped in bacon -
anything in a crockpot/jello shots for dessert
------------------------
Lobster Nachos (could use all shrimp if you like)
1 13.5-ounce bag of white or red corn tortilla chips
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red onion, chopped
8 ounces baby shrimp, drained
8 to 14 ounces of cooked lobster meat
8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 16-ounce jar salsa

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Layer tortilla chips in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish.

Blend cheeses and sprinkle half the mixture and tomatoes over chips. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion to pan and saute until onions are tender, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp and lobster meat and heat until warm, about 3 minutes.

Drain and layer warm seafood mixture on top of nachos. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until cheese melts. Top with scallions and dollops of sour cream. Serve hot with salsa on the side. Serves 8.
----------
Cherry Garcia Takes A Dip
From "Delicious Dips."
2 pints Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, such as Valrhona or Scharffen Berger, cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons kirsch (optional)

Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften for 20 minutes. Scoop the ice cream into a medium bowl and add the chocolate chunks and kirsch. Stir to make it creamy and diplike. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately. Make 4 cups.
Other dippables possibilities: Cinnamon crisps, toasted pound cake crisps, strawberries, chocolate wafer cookies and graham crackers. This dip can be prepared 2 days in advance. Cover and refreeze. Soften 20 minutes before serving. Makes 16 servings.
----------
Salmon Wontons with Ginger Soy Sauce
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger (reserve two teaspoons of the ginger)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 pound salmon diced into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon red crushed chilies
Salt to taste
1 12-oz. package wonton wrappers
oil for frying

Place fresh ginger in Food Processor and mince. Place fresh onion in Food Processor and finely chop. Blend 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/4 cup (less 2 tablespoons) ginger, vinegar and honey in small bowl.

Combine salmon, onion, egg, garlic, crushed chilies, scallions and salt in medium bowl. Mix in remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 2 teaspoons ginger.

Place several wrappers on work surface; brush edges lightly with water. Place heaping 1 teaspoon salmon filling in center of each. Fold wrappers diagonally in half, pressing edges to seal. Place wontons on waxed paper. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Preheat Toaster Oven to 250oF. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat; add 1/4 of wontons. Fry until wontons are golden and filling is cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to baking pan; keep warm in Toaster Oven. Repeat frying with remaining wontons, using 1/2 teaspoon oil per batch. Serve wontons with honey-soy sauce.
----------
Mushroom Quesadillas - 16 appetizers
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 (6-ounce) package (2 1/2 cups) cremini mushrooms, sliced*
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 tablespoon Butter, melted
4 (1-ounce) slices Roast Beef, cut into strips
4 (1-ounce) slices Provolone or Mozzarella Cheese, cut into strips

Heat oven to 375°F. Combine onions, mushrooms and pepper in 10-inch skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender (4 to 5 minutes).

Brush 1 side of each tortilla with butter. Place tortillas, buttered-side down, onto ungreased baking sheet. To assemble quesadillas, layer each tortilla with 1/4 mushroom mixture, 1/4 roast beef and 1/4 cheese. Fold tortillas in half. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown and cheese is melted. To serve, cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm. Substitutions: *Substitute 1 (8-ounce) package sliced button mushrooms
----------
Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip - Makes about 4 cups
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
One 10-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
12 ounces crabmeat, picked over for cartilage and shells
Hot red pepper sauce, to taste
Baguette crisps, for serving

Position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, and garlic in a medium bowl. Stir in the artichokes and crab. Spread in a 1-quart round baking dish, a chafing dish, or the crockery insert of a small electric slow cooker. (The dip can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, covered, and refrigerated.)

Bake until the dip is bubbling, about 20 minutes, depending on the shape of the baking dish. If the dip is refrigerated, allow 30 minutes. Serve hot with the baguette slices.
Baguette Crisps - These crunchy toasted slices are great for dipping, serving with cheese,
or even snacking.

For garlic-flavored crisps, heat 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and 2 large garlic cloves, crushed under a knife, in a small saucepan until small bubbles appear around the edges. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain the oil, discarding the garlic. Slice a long, thin baguette into 1/4-inch thick slices and place the slices in a large bowl. Drizzle the oil over the slices, tossing them well. Spread the slices on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400° oven until crisp and golden, 12-15 minutes. Cool. For plain crisps, delete the garlic.

To store, place the crisps in a brown paper bag (storing in plastic can make the crisps soggy), close the bag, and store at room temperature for up to 8 hours.
----------
Philly Cheese Meatball Sandwiches
1 package (18 oz) frozen fully-cooked beef meatballs (about 35 meatballs)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
4 to 6 hoagie rolls, split, warmed
3/4 cup pasteurized process cheese spread sauce, heated

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper and onion; cook and stir 3-minutes. Add meatballs; cover and cook 13 to 14 minutes or until meatballs are heated through and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.Spoon meatball mixture into rolls; drizzle with cheese sauce. Makes 4 to 6 servings
----------
Parmesan Chicken Bites
6 chicken breasts
½ cup crushed packaged herb-seasoned stuffing mix
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1/3 cup butter, melted

Cut each chicken breast into 6-8 pieces about 1½” square. Combine stuffing mix, cheese, and parsley. Dip chicken pieces into butter. Then roll in stuffing mixture. Place in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake in a 300º oven for about 10 minutes, or until tender and cooked thoroughly. Serve hot or cold with toothpicks.

my menu has changed. Daughter and fiance are hosting super bowl party. Keg of beer, and they want the chicken fingers and tempeh prepared like chicken wings, and tossed in Franks Hot Sauce; ranch dressing and carrot and celery sticks; crustini with tempenade, brie mixed with gorgonzola; Emerald Valley Fresh salsa with black beans and grilled corn added for nachos with melted cheddar. Need to find one more thing.

buckytom said:
thanks norgeskog, i never thought of trimming them first to hep remove the skin. i haven't made them in a long time because it's such a pita.

oh, i meant to start a thread to inform you of a show on pbs i saw the other day. it was called "new scandinavian cooking with andreas viestad". i only caught a few minutes, but it looked interesting.
here is the accompanying website: www.scandcook.com

buckytom, I have his cookbook and have posted several of his recipes. I am waiting to get it here. The cookbook is awesome, comes with some pretty amazing pictures of Norway. Thanks for the web site.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom