"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #41
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
You missed my whole point, Snoop. Who said "Reprehensible?" My Aunt Eleanor lived to be 99, most of those years living on her own (my Uncle died when she was about 90). they were farmers, and she was the best home cook, other than my Mom that I have ever known. I remember her, at age 92, remarking about how the chickens she now bought at the supermarket didn't taste like the ones she had raised. thought maybe it was her advanced age and reduced ability to taste. She was appalled to find out how those supermarket chickens were raised, and started buying from a nearby farmer, instead. I realize we all don't have those choices, but often it is just lack of information.

Sweetie, you are preaching to the choir. I'm a Senior Citizen.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #42
Head Chef

Then you will fully understand the difficulties some people face, sweetie.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #43
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
She was appalled to find out how those supermarket chickens were raised, and started buying from a nearby farmer, instead.
When I moved to my current apartment complex it was "in the middle of nowhere". There was a farmer down the street who raised chickens. I'd see them running around the front yard when I drove to work. True free range; I was always afraid one of them would run out into the road and I'd hit one. They didn't, but they came close. Unfortunately he sold out to developers and now there's a middle-school and a bunch of starter homes all over the place instead of the chickens and the cattle.

I'd buy direct from a farmer if I could find one nearby. Even the farmer's market at the Agricenter for fresh vegetables is a joke.

Fraidy
Old 11-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #44
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Fraid... how far are you from a Whole Foods? they sell both organic and free range chickens. or you can look for Kosher or Halal chickens.. depending upon your area. both of those are raised sustainably and killed humanely.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:50 AM   #45
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Fraid... how far are you from a Whole Foods? they sell both organic and free range chickens. or you can look for Kosher or Halal chickens.. depending upon your area. both of those are raised sustainably and killed humanely.
There is a Whole Foods in Collierville, TN, and I think there's one in east Memphis. I try to stay out of Memphis. Anyway, either one would be about 15 miles from me. The problem is I can't afford to shop there. But I'm not overly concerned about organic or free range, it was just a random comment.

Funny thing, I went to the liquor store the other day and noticed a big sign next to some very expensive bottles of vodka saying it was "organic". I just had to laugh.

Fraidy
Old 11-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #46
Master Chef

I've just revisited this thread, so I apologize for being way behind in responding to the previous postings about how much time it takes to properly care for horses.

I currently have 7, although 2 of them will be up for sale soon, as that was the plan. I grew up riding from the age of 10, & my dream was always to breed quality sport horses. Unfortunately, no sooner did I have that dream, than I took a nasty fall that fractured my spine, & a year later nearly severed my leg in another barn-related accident.

I still do all of the barn work myself - albeit with a back & leg brace - because I refuse to completely relinquish my girlhood "dream", now that I can afford it. What I can't afford is hired help - so I do everything myself. And while I freely admit these tasks are my choice (along with all our other pets - all adopted & unwanted), it does cut in to my cooking hobby. When one combines my tasks with my husband's irregular schedule (dear dear person that he is for supporting all this), I really don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything to the food gods by using boxed mixes once in awhile. Particularly when it's 7 p.m., I'm covered with wet muck, dogs want to be fed, & husband wants (& definitely deserves) a nice meal on the table. : )
Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #47
Senior Cook

We used to use boxed and convenience foods quite often, but not anymore. For us the switch was motivated by both financial and health reasons. When my husband had to take a pay cut last year in order to keep his job, I learned a lot about budgeting and stretching our grocery $$. I can buy 10 pounds of rice or potatoes for the price of one box of Betty Crocker, same goes for dried beans over canned and freezing bread ends for stuffing over buying Stove Top. Second, for us, the salt in the convenience foods became a real concern. Now, it's been so long since we've used them, I wouldn't go back to them.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourgirl
...I can buy 10 pounds of rice or potatoes for the price of one box of Betty Crocker, same goes for dried beans over canned and freezing bread ends for stuffing over buying Stove Top. Second, for us, the salt in the convenience foods became a real concern. Now, it's been so long since we've used them, I wouldn't go back to them.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #49
Master Chef

I would be a liar if I didn't admit to using "convenience" ingredients, or methods, from time to time.

While I may tend to shy away from most - I'm not inclined to make my own "fresh from scratch" noodles for mac-n-cheese, raman noodles, etc.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
...While I may tend to shy away from most - I'm not inclined to make my own "fresh from scratch" noodles for mac-n-cheese, raman noodles, etc.
And even if you did, one could say that you didn't mill the flour yourself.

I forget who has the tagline on the order of, "If you want to bake an apple pie from scratch, first you have to invent the universe."

Still and all, there is quite a bit of difference between dried pasta and boxes of converted rice with dehydrated vegetables and powdered flavorings.

Agreed?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote