Boxing Day Dinner Dec 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
If it's ok I will start the dinner thread today. Happy Boxing Day to you who celebrate and to the rest of us who should.

Happy Kwanzaa too.

No leftovers sent home from Christmas dinner. That's ok with me. I took a package ground beef from the freezer and there is a little sausage I can mix in. I think it's time to make Meatloaf, salad and twice baked potatoes.

What are you doing to celebrate this hopefully more relaxed holiday?

Can someone tell me what Boxing Day is celebrating? I know it is an English/Canadian holiday. I probably knew it at one time, but have forgotten. :angel:

Christmas Day is set aside for religious observances and Boxing Day is for exchanging gifts.

Our Boxing Day dinner will consist of a variety of leftovers. We have rib roast, roast chicken (from Costco for Christmas Eve lunch), lyonnaise potatoes, Broccoli, and lots of cookies and stuff.

Last edited:
Christmas Day is set aside for religious observances and Boxing Day is for exchanging gifts.

So they are in conjunction?
What if you aren't that religious? Would you exchange gifts on Christmas or wait for Boxing Day?

Anyone here that does one without the other?

I'm heading into Erie today, so plan on deciding tonight's dinner at the grocery store. I wouldn't mind seeing a nice rack of ribs...

Too tired to cook today, mostly trying to rehash some of our turkey leftovers to some sort of turkey pie!

Can someone tell me what Boxing Day is celebrating? I know it is an English/Canadian holiday. I probably knew it at one time, but have forgotten. :angel:

it's a little more specific than that,andy.boxing day is traditionally when employees,servants,tradesmen & the window cleaner etc etc received gifts off of their employers & patrons etc etc.hence the saying,over this side o' the pond of a "christmas box".a gift of money or a tip,at this time of year,is also known as a "christmas box".there's also a northern saying,that when you paid someone a bribe or gave them their share of some ill gotten gains that you "boxed them off".i'm an estate agent so i should k.........:ermm::ohmy:;):LOL:!!

Last edited:
In some areas boxing day was a day off for servants. The servants were given the leftovers from Christmas and or hand me downs to share with family and friends. It cracked me up on one of those BBC shows about life on the great estates when the servants were excited because they were given new uniforms for Christmas, that ain't right, it just ain't right I tell ya!

That is how it will be in my case, the chief cook and bottle washer will be eating yesterday's Christmas leftovers! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

In some areas boxing day was a day off for servants. The servants were given the leftovers from Christmas and or hand me downs to share with family and friends. It cracked me up on one of those BBC shows about life on the great estates when the servants were excited because they were given new uniforms for Christmas, that ain't right, it just ain't right I tell ya!

That is how it will be in my case, the chief cook and bottle washer will be eating yesterday's Christmas leftovers! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
when i was growing up they considered it a bonus not to get a beating.we never beat our servants on boxing day.next best thing to a pay rise,aunty:rolleyes:;):LOL:!!

when i was growing up they considered it a bonus not to get a beating.we never beat our servants on boxing day.next best thing to a pay rise,aunty:rolleyes:;):LOL:!!

Reminds me of the prince and the pauper when the little prince had a servant kid whose job it was to take his beatings when the prince was bad! You royals know how to cover all the bases! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Reminds me of the prince and the pauper when the little prince had a servant kid whose job it was to take his beatings when the prince was bad! You royals know how to cover all the bases! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
no if's or BUTT's about it aunty;)!!"Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George".only problem with that lot is that henry v was welsh,born in monmouth castle & saint george was born in,what was,palestine to greek parents.royals?,wouldn't trust 'em as far as i could throw 'em....:ohmy::ROFLMAO:!!

Not sure what our dinner is because a couple from the church is bringing it over. I can't eat much but a nice salad is probably part of the menu!

:)

No leftovers here either. I was too sick yesterday to deal with much. I sat on the couch and dozed off and on while gifts were opened. I have some ground beef in the fridge I need to cook up before we leave to visit DH's family in Ann Arbor so will do something with that. Not sure what at this point. Something easy for sure. Still feeling puny with this cold.

Gee, is anyone feeling good today? I took today's pills, so I should be feeling better than I do.

My daughter is sending me a plate of leftovers that I didn't take home last night. Good, I can just heat it up in the micro. No dirty pans to clean. Now to find some kid so I can "box" his ears. :angel:

I'm not feeling very well today, either. DH is going to the grocery store and I asked him to grt some ground beef for burgers and frozen fries. Easy dinner tonight.

Gee, is anyone feeling good today? I took today's pills, so I should be feeling better than I do.

My daughter is sending me a plate of leftovers that I didn't take home last night. Good, I can just heat it up in the micro. No dirty pans to clean. Now to find some kid so I can "box" his ears. :angel:

I AM!!! :mrgreen:

well i'm feeling bloody marvellous,never felt better.got company tonight,sooooo,while 'er ladyship is in the bedroom,trying on the handcuffs & gimp mask i bought her for xmas,i'll share with thee,the meal i have just shared with her....harry's mixed seafood(prawns,little neck clams & chipirones(baby squid)) portuguese cataplana in a roasted red pepper,cherry tomato & echalion shallot sauce with butter beans,anchovy stuffed olives & crusty rolls.iced portuguese vinho verde lighter & brighter than an algarve spring morning...bless!right,gotta go....me?no,not talking to anyone my sweet..........

Attachments

• MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 001.JPG
    MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 001.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 136
  • MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 002.jpg
    MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 002.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 159
  • MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 003.JPG
    MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 003.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 139
  • MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 004.JPG
    MIXED SEAFOOD CATAPLANA 004.JPG