"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What do you do with bread heels???
Toss them 16 18.18%
Eat them 58 65.91%
Feed them to the animlas 12 13.64%
Never thought about it 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
Croutons, bread crumbs, animal food.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Master Chef
Bread crumbs.... I did not even think about that. Thanks Andy!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
Executive Chef
The heel (we call it the crust) is my favourite part of the loaf - my son also likes it so there can be debates as to who gets to eat them. The other use I have for them is to convert them into bread crumbs.
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
I eat them...DW doesn't care for them...Love to make toast on the griddle with them...Makes a good PB&J sammich too...It's just bread!!

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Executive Chef
This really settles and argument I have with dh. He said they are only useful for keeping the bread fresh. Glad to know others enjoy them. I always eat them and agree it makes really good toast.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Oops. I voted before I read the thread, though it doesn't necessarily change my answer. The first thing I thought of when I read "heel", was the end on a loaf of Italian bread. Those were all mine when I was a kid and I still love the heel. You really have to work the butter into it though... Doesn't matter to me. I love crust.

On a regular loaf of bread; when I bought bread in the store the end (I also call it the crust) was a last resort. Taken out and put back in to help keep the next slice fresh. I had no problem eating the two crusts, but they were usually sliced thin and flimsy and really only good for toast, IMO.

Now homemade bread.... that's a different story. I'm with AC and what Katie said about Buck. The end is absolutely a treat on a fresh made loaf. And the way I slice my bread machine loaves, I get three ends; one I enjoy right away, one to keep the loaf fresh on the end and winds up as toast or garlic bread, and the other one usually gets tossed, as it is where the paddle was.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I toss them out onto the lawn for the birds
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Executive Chef
for the most part, I feed them to the goats, they LOVE them. But if I need bread crumbs, I make them from crusts.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Italian bread, heels are the best part.
White bread, I use them to keep the next slice fresh til the end, then toast and make open-faced peanut butter
Challah, I usually have to stop myself from pealing the whole loaf just to eat all the outer crust.

Whoever said about the ducks, if you watched what they eat naturally, digging and eating mud to get the critter, bread is not so bad. But too much of a good thing is just that. They are like goats with wings. dirty, dirty, but
tasty, tasty!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
Senior Cook
I put them in the blender and make crumbs

Is this RED sauce HOT ??
Chicks is offline   Reply With Quote