Bread Heels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you do with bread heels???

• Toss them

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Eat them

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Feed them to the animlas

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Never thought about it

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
The chickens get them... the bread ends that is, not my heels, GW it takes practise to learn to walk in them but it feels great in good shoes.

I love the heel toasted with peanut butter. When we are low on bread turning the end inside the sandwich works. Croutons, ducks, bread pudding. Betsy.

I call them crust, I don't like wasting food, so I eat them, usually toasted because they have such a nice flavor, and they are thinner than the rest of the slices. I let everyone else have the regular pieces and they think that is grand.
I've been having a little marmite everyday, and I think I'm getting an English accent from it. :LOL:

We definitely use them, not only for sandwiches and croutons but they make the best breadcrumbs;)

We actually called the ends of the "heel and toe" of the bread while growing up....hubby just says "heel" so I lost the "toes"....and we usually eat them.

It depends on the bread. If it's like Wonderbread or of the grocery store variety, we toss them or give them to the rats. Unless it's Thanksgiving or Christmas then I use them to make Mashed Potatoe Sandwiches!
If it's fresh bread, they are mine! Nothing is better than fresh bread crusts!

make fresh bread crumbs, use them in stuffing or meatloaf or meatballs, use them (toasted) as the base for a hot meat sandwich with gravy.

I don't like to throw food out. Find a creative use for it.

it was asked what we refer to the ends as.
I refer to them as 'ends' or heels or crusts.
and again, depending on what the type of bread is, I use for whatever the best repurposing of them is.............
but then, what is the definition of 'is'?

i throw them outisde so animals can snack. 'cept sometimes i eat them as toast- they're my favorite toasting bread.

I grew up in a "frugal" household - we never wasted any food, no matter how many nights we might have to eat it to finish up a big pot of "it". Toasted "heels" with butter and jam was a breakfast delight!

Bread heels are the best part of the loaf. That said, I'm on the net a lot searching for things for my website. From this experience I never ever ever throw bread away ever. Last option is give it to the birds. I am now so thankful for the food I have I get sick at the idea of throwing good food away. Just my thoughts.

Normally, I would have said that I eat the heels, which I do. However, whenever I come across a bread heel nowadays, it's when I'm working down at the halfway house on the golf course. Heels get cut into cubes and tossed out to the fish in the pond just outside the back door. You want to see a couple hundred bullhead catfish go into a feeding frenzy?

I've also been known to wad up the bread, mix in a little water, until it looks and feels like bread dough again. I take a little chunk, put it on a small fish hook, and go fishing.

just reading AllenOk's response lead me to rememeber that often times I have broken them up and tossed them on the grass for the birds or have broken them up and tossed them into the bird bath, as there as ducks and birds that waddle into there.

Some folks refer to it by different terms, as I was growing up, to refer to the end of a bread loaf that typically most people did not like and discarded... we called it the heel of the bread. Some folks call it crusts, and I think there may be another reference as well made in this thread. HTH.

Ah, ok, so I thought that that’s what it was. If you take typical American grocery store bought loaf of bread, I hate to say it, but the whole thing needs to be discarded. If you get the bread from a bakery, and more and more of them pop up all over the place, including inside the grocery stores, then the bread actually tastes like bread and I love the hard piece of heels/crust, or whatever else it might be called.

I don't eat bread myself except to make a sammie on occasion.... on the other hand... DH eats it just about every day. Eats it with all his meals... so maybe I will try a fresh bakery loaf or something like that.

Haven't read all the replies. We eat it usually. If I have a need for breadcrumbs for a recipe, though, I'll take the heels from a loaf for that purpose. 2 heels usually make exactly what I need.

Sometimes dd likes feed the stale ones to the birds.

What I do with Break Heels

Take a white bread paper bag.

Cut the break heels in small squares

Store them in the Pantry

Thanksgiving or when I want to make my dressing.....I use the dried bread suqares for my dressing plus other ingredients.

If we´re talking about Pullman loaves (typical loaf bread) I make grilled cheese (if im lucky with some sort of meat). I just face the heel ends towards the middle. Out of sight, out of mind.

Back
Top Bottom