"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What do you do with bread heels???
Toss them 16 18.18%
Eat them 58 65.91%
Feed them to the animlas 12 13.64%
Never thought about it 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I like heels too, especially 3 inch ones, black is nice. They accentuate the female calf so beautifully, making them look muscular and strong. I wouldn't throw them at the ducks though. It might hurt the poor critters. I also wouldn't wear them, or make them from bread. I'd think the bread would crush when you stepped down on them, unless we're talking about those ultra hard zweiback things.

I don't understand the concept of dunking heals into things like olive oil, or ranch dressing. Heals, as stated before, have to be very hard to withstand the weight of a woman standing on them, and therefore would be difficult to chew, and harder to swallow. And why would you want to even try?

Ok, enough silliness. Bread heels are great when lightly toasted, smeared with just the right amount of butter, and drizzled with good honey. The mroe dense outer side keeps the honey in place, rather than letting it seep through the pores to drip all over my shirt.

I also use the heals to make home-made panko bread crumbs. Just rub the insides of two heels together and say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." Oh! Wait! That's not right. That's from the Wizard of Oz movie. Now let's see. Oh yeh. Rub the insides of the heels together, like sand paper. Beautiful bread crumbs fall downward, so do this over a plate or jellyroll pan, or something, unless you like picking up a bunch of breadcrumbs off of the floor. And for those of you with pets, or stinky feet, I wouldn't recomend you use those breadcrumbs from the floor for your cooking (unless you followed the 3-second rule of course).

Finally, if you bake the bread crumbs until crisp, and then file the edges, you can use them as a lethal frizbee kind-of-thing, to hunt with.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
That was great Goodweed!!!! Someone got you wound up!

Old 07-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Yep. I was right. Those don't look like anything I'd want to munch on. I'll stick to the whole wheat variety, thank you very much. Oh, and how do you ladies walk in those things anyway? Do you have to practice on stilts first? And do you have to carry extra hankies around, in case of nosebleeds?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I don't want to alarm you Goodweed, but I don't think those shoes are meant for walking!

Old 07-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #33
Executive Chef

oh I keep 'em fer sure. I love the heels for me for my sandwiches either grilled cheese or peanut butter. I wouldn't give 'em out to anyone else though. if it's really good bread, I freeze them and use 'em fer bread crumbs later, like with sourdough
Old 07-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Another question--what do you call them? Obviously "heels" is a popular term, and I had heard them called that. We always called them "end pieces." I noticed someone calls them crust. Is there another name anyone uses?

Barbara
Old 07-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #35
Master Chef

Hmmmmm.... good question! I'm trying to remember from my childhood days what we called them. Seems my parents always referred to it as the heel of the bread. So does that mean there is a toe?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

End pieces here..."Heel".... is on my foot

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #37
Head Chef

I usually feed the birds with the heels, (if the darn squirrels don't get em first)
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #38
Senior Cook

I do the same as many of you, crumbs, croutons and food for the outside critters. However, when right out of the oven, one heel is for me!!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Depends on the bread. Real good crusty bread, you gotta fight me for it. I've been known to cutt off both ends and run...
The store bought loaf, my middle son likes it.
Pardon me for being rude, we call the ends the "butts"
So he requests his PB&J or ham n cheese in a "butt sandwich"
Yeah, I know, too much info...
:)
Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #40
Master Chef

[quote=Goodweed of the North;640540. Oh, and how do you ladies walk in those things anyway? Do you have to practice on stilts first? And do you have to carry extra hankies around, in case of nosebleeds?
Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North[/quote]

I wear tennis shoes.