"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What do you do with bread heels???
Toss them 16 18.18%
Eat them 58 65.91%
Feed them to the animlas 12 13.64%
Never thought about it 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #51
Head Chef

Bread heels are the best part of the loaf. That said, I'm on the net a lot searching for things for my website. From this experience I never ever ever throw bread away ever. Last option is give it to the birds. I am now so thankful for the food I have I get sick at the idea of throwing good food away. Just my thoughts.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Normally, I would have said that I eat the heels, which I do. However, whenever I come across a bread heel nowadays, it's when I'm working down at the halfway house on the golf course. Heels get cut into cubes and tossed out to the fish in the pond just outside the back door. You want to see a couple hundred bullhead catfish go into a feeding frenzy?

I've also been known to wad up the bread, mix in a little water, until it looks and feels like bread dough again. I take a little chunk, put it on a small fish hook, and go fishing.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #53
Executive Chef

just reading AllenOk's response lead me to rememeber that often times I have broken them up and tossed them on the grass for the birds or have broken them up and tossed them into the bird bath, as there as ducks and birds that waddle into there.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #54
Master Chef

I have an English lenguage question: what are those "bread heels"? What does it mean?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #55
Master Chef

Some folks refer to it by different terms, as I was growing up, to refer to the end of a bread loaf that typically most people did not like and discarded... we called it the heel of the bread. Some folks call it crusts, and I think there may be another reference as well made in this thread. HTH.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #56
Master Chef

Ah, ok, so I thought that that’s what it was. If you take typical American grocery store bought loaf of bread, I hate to say it, but the whole thing needs to be discarded. If you get the bread from a bakery, and more and more of them pop up all over the place, including inside the grocery stores, then the bread actually tastes like bread and I love the hard piece of heels/crust, or whatever else it might be called.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #57
Master Chef

I don't eat bread myself except to make a sammie on occasion.... on the other hand... DH eats it just about every day. Eats it with all his meals... so maybe I will try a fresh bakery loaf or something like that.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Haven't read all the replies. We eat it usually. If I have a need for breadcrumbs for a recipe, though, I'll take the heels from a loaf for that purpose. 2 heels usually make exactly what I need.

Sometimes dd likes feed the stale ones to the birds.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #59
Sous Chef

What I do with Break Heels

Take a white bread paper bag.

Cut the break heels in small squares

Store them in the Pantry

Thanksgiving or when I want to make my dressing.....I use the dried bread suqares for my dressing plus other ingredients.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #60
Senior Cook

If we´re talking about Pullman loaves (typical loaf bread) I make grilled cheese (if im lucky with some sort of meat). I just face the heel ends towards the middle. Out of sight, out of mind.