Bread Heels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you do with bread heels???

• Toss them

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Eat them

Votes: 58 65.9%
  • Feed them to the animlas

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Never thought about it

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

sattie

Washing Up
We just got home and needed a quick meal so we agreed upon bologna sandwiches.

Grabbing for the bread, I realize that there is only 4 pieces left, one of which is the heel of the bread. (Normally I toss these out... tsk tsk tsk!) I know hubby would not think of eating it so I figure what the heck, I will use it on my sandwhich! Not bad at all, specially if it is grilled. Came out nice and crispy. So I told hubby to save the heels for now on in stead of tossing them out.

As I was eating my sammy... I got to wondering about the bread heels. How many of you toss em out? Then I wonder... all these people tossing out bread heels... that is alot of waste. Then another thought came to mind... do any of you do something creative with them? Or have special uses for them in recipes?

All I know is that I will never waste another bread heel... there could be a day not so far off that I will wish I had that bread heel!!!

So what do you guys do with your bread heels?

The heels were Buck's favorite part of a loaf of bread, especially since our bread was always homemade. I don't particularly care for them so I suppose I'll save them for croutons or to make stuffing. I'm not one to throw anything out.

I use them in a sandwich. Just turn them so the crust side is in. I like them toasted. Love crust!

The heels were Buck's favorite part of a loaf of bread, especially since our bread was always homemade. I don't particularly care for them so I suppose I'll save them for croutons or to make stuffing. I'm not one to throw anything out.

Katie, do you have a lake or pond near with ducks? That is something you can do with the heals:)

Awe Katie!!!! Hi sweetie!!!

Croutons is a great idea!!!

Texasgirl.... I'm not a big fan of feeding human food to ducks, but at least it is better than just tossing it out (maybe). You should see the ducks at our little park that we have here. They are soooooo over weight. I see folks feeding them chips, (BBQ flavor!) cookies, and all kinds of stuff. I don't think they will ever go hungry!!! Probably a little indigestion!!!

When I bake a loaf, the heel, just out of the oven, is my treat. With Rye bread. I have to put some of the last loaf in the dough for the next loaf, I save the heels for that.

The wife unit also likes heels, so, they go to use in our house.

AC

The heel (we call it the crust) is my favourite part of the loaf - my son also likes it so there can be debates as to who gets to eat them. The other use I have for them is to convert them into bread crumbs.

I eat them...DW doesn't care for them...Love to make toast on the griddle with them...Makes a good PB&J sammich too...It's just bread!!

Enjoy!!!

This really settles and argument I have with dh. He said they are only useful for keeping the bread fresh. Glad to know others enjoy them. I always eat them and agree it makes really good toast.

Oops. I voted before I read the thread, though it doesn't necessarily change my answer. The first thing I thought of when I read "heel", was the end on a loaf of Italian bread. Those were all mine when I was a kid and I still love the heel. You really have to work the butter into it though... Doesn't matter to me. I love crust.

On a regular loaf of bread; when I bought bread in the store the end (I also call it the crust) was a last resort. Taken out and put back in to help keep the next slice fresh. I had no problem eating the two crusts, but they were usually sliced thin and flimsy and really only good for toast, IMO.

Now homemade bread.... that's a different story. I'm with AC and what Katie said about Buck. The end is absolutely a treat on a fresh made loaf. And the way I slice my bread machine loaves, I get three ends; one I enjoy right away, one to keep the loaf fresh on the end and winds up as toast or garlic bread, and the other one usually gets tossed, as it is where the paddle was.

Italian bread, heels are the best part.
White bread, I use them to keep the next slice fresh til the end, then toast and make open-faced peanut butter
sandwich.
Challah, I usually have to stop myself from pealing the whole loaf just to eat all the outer crust.

Whoever said about the ducks, if you watched what they eat naturally, digging and eating mud to get the critter, bread is not so bad. But too much of a good thing is just that. They are like goats with wings. dirty, dirty, but
tasty, tasty!

Back
Top Bottom