"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Lyn I agreei was thinking that rice dish was a lil too much for someone who isnt use to it!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
Executive Chef

The Canadian/Kiwi breakfast sounds like a 'Full English' breakfast or a 'Full Scottish' - which in many places includes all or many of the items below

Fruit juice/fruits
Cereals
Porridge

Eggs
Tattie Scone
Fried Bread
Bacon
Sausage
Lorne Sausage
Tomato
Black Pudding
Mushrooms
Haggis
Beans (a step too far, in my estimation!)

Followed by lashings of toast and butter, marmalade/jams and tea

No wonder so many tourists say that an English/Scottish breakfast in an hotel or a B&B sets them up for a full day of sightseeing!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Ishbel...pure Scottish blood flows thru' my veins, all my Grandparents emigrated to NZ from Scotland so that explains it!! Black pudding..I adore the stuff but its so hard to find someone who makes it properly. When I lived in Italy I suprised the locals by gobbling up the Salsicce di Sangue ( Blood Sausage).
Im a Scots girl thru' and thru'...lolol
And lets not talk about faggots. Oh yum.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 AM   #14
Executive Chef

OOOH NO..... Faggots are English Got to confess, I'm not keen on the full 'Ulster Fry' - but it's what made the British what they are today....

overweight, etc!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
OOOH NO..... Faggots are English Got to confess, I'm not keen on the full 'Ulster Fry' - but it's what made the British what they are today....
overweight, etc!
I always knew I suffered from delusions...Pommie stuff huh?? Oh well. gotta give em' credit, Faggots are tasty wee things!
And porridge,with cream and brown sugar. Thats for me tomorrow. I have a wonderful memory of my Granny stirring her porridge with a huge wooden spoon and it was the best Ive ever tasted. My other Granny only used her wooden spoon for a certain part of my anatomy. lolol
Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 AM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks folks for all the inputs and the humor served on the side! I am a little apprehensive about the kkk dish myself (disclaimer to be inserted here by urmaniac ). The dish CAN BE fierce, especially in the morning. I'll try to think up a milder dish that's suitable for breakfast. If all else fails, I'll just deconstruct this dish on the platter so that the guests can choose which deadly ingredients to leave out. It will look nice and colorful too. The traditional Thai breakfast of rice soup or soupy rice is actually kinda boring.

The breakfast is set pretty early, at 7.30am. So maybe it's safest to serve this fusion menu. I've been known to serve all-asian/thai lunch and dinner to westerners but breakfast is another thing altogether.

Bucky, I agree about the touch of sweetness! I have an unopened jar of Nutella. Very French. Will that do? I was also thinking of putting some grapes with the cheeses, not just great for taste but for appearance too!

Ok. Loud and clear on the instant coffee. I actually went to the mall today to check out a nice Krups dual-system coffee and espresso maker with steamer. It was at 30% off with a free Krups coffee grinder thrown in. I'll sleep on it...

But I have another stupid question: If I don't buy the coffemaker, can I just serve tea that's in tea bags or is that uncouth too? Sorry, we Asians generally don't mind getting served instant coffee and tea in tea bags y'know... Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Put your teabags in a teapot and they are hidden!! And acceptable for sure!!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCook
I am dying to know what rose apples are though.
I searched the internet and what I found is not the same fruit as what is known as Rose Apple here or Macopa as it is known in the Philippines. I'll try to post a picture of it for you, DaCook. Pls give me a few days.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I would like a full recipe (with maybe some suggestions/ideas for substitutions if not everything is available elsewhere...we CAN get jasmine rice though!!)
Urmaniac, please wait and I'll post the recipe for you one of these days... I'm glad you're interested in it! It's one of my favorite Thai dishes!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
I always knew I suffered from delusions...Pommie stuff huh?? Oh well. gotta give em' credit, Faggots are tasty wee things!
And porridge,with cream and brown sugar. Thats for me tomorrow. I have a wonderful memory of my Granny stirring her porridge with a huge wooden spoon and it was the best Ive ever tasted. My other Granny only used her wooden spoon for a certain part of my anatomy. lolol
The special type of wooden or horn spoon for porridge is called a spurtle - and SUGAR AND CREAM? You are a heathen... Salt and a Leeeetle milk only!

BUT, they hold a Porridge competition every year at Carrbridge and the prize is a golden spurtle. Here's a photie of the winner holding said spurtle. Mine is made from stag horn! http://www.goldenspurtle.com/photo2002zoom01.htm

Chopstix - sorry to go off subject in your thread!