Breakfast Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefgirlardee

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm looking for new ideas for breakfast. I'm tired of the traditional breakfast menu and so I usually end up sacrificing my breakfast time at home for a few minutes of extra sleep:sleep: and then end up buying fast food breakfast. Also, since I work fulltime and go to school I'm also looking for prepare-ahead breakfast ideas (if anyone has any). All suggestions are welcomed!:)

You can also try a breakfast smoothie:
Here's one I had today:

Blenderize:
1 banana
milk (start with about 8 oz, add more if it's too thick later on)
then add:
1/4 c. milk & egg protein powder (this is my fav, but you can use soy too)
Blend well
Then, throw in 6 frozen strawberries (I buy them frozen)
Blend again.
Ta da!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Another thought - hard boil some eggs and have them handy in the fridge. Eat one with a bagel and some juice and you'll be set till lunch!

If you haven't already...invest 20 dollars into a small electric griddle, with nonstick coating. You can whip up a small batch of pancake batter, or french toast batter the night before, and make some quick pancakes, french toast, or quick eggs and bacon.

Thanks jkath! The blueberry french toast sounds delicious. The hard boiled eggs is a really convenient idea, and I love bagels. Mmm...the smoothie should be great i.e. as soon as I get a blender lol. Thanks a lot!:)

Actually, Erik, I don't have an electric griddle. However, I think it's going to cost more than $20 here, but it's worth the investment. Thanks for the idea!

Another thought -
my older boy's favorite breakfast is "reheated last night's dinner leftovers"!
His absolute fav is my chicken pie (made with cream cheese). (I know it's been posted here a few times)

One of my favorite quick breakfasts is to precook some sausage patties. Then freeze them to use as needed. Then in the morning I scramble an egg. Fold the scrambled egg over so it will fit on an English muffin or bagel with the thawed sausage patty and a slice of cheese, if desired. Wrap in a paper towel and place in a closeable plastic bag. When you want to eat your breakfast remove from plastic bag and heat for one minute in the microwave. Instant breakfast and you can even assemble it the night before and store in the fridge until ready to eat.

Thanks again Jkath. However, I usually take leftovers for lunch:)

SierraCook thanks for the great idea. I enjoy breakfast sandwiches but just never thought of using patties that can be prepared ahead of time...will try. Thank u.

I guess this might be considered a traditional breakfast menu item, but one of my easiest and quickest (and favorite) breakfast's is oat flakes and milk (or water) thrown in the microwave for 3 minutes, then topped w/ a spoonful of plain yogurt, strawberries or blueberries or banana, walnuts or almonds, and some nutmeg! healthy and very filling!

I often make up a batch of breakfast sandwiches & wrap them individually in foil. Put them in the fridge & just heat one in the oven while I'm getting ready for work.

Breakfast Sandwiches
1 pkg Pillsbury Grands biscuits
8 sausage patties
8 eggs
8 slices American cheese

Flatten out Grands to the size of the sausage patties. Bake as directed on package.

Cook sausage patties.

Fry eggs in egg ring. Break yolk; add salt & pepper. If you don't have egg rings, a can with both ends removed will work, so I hear.

When everything is done cooking, slice biscuits in half. Assemble as follows:

Bottom half of biscuit
Sausage
Fried Egg
Cheese
Top half of biscuit

Here's another one. This was one of my Pillsbury Bake-Off recipes that didn't qualify. You can use this basic recipe & really change things to your liking.

Buenos Dias Biscuits

2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup onions, finely chopped
4 ounces mushrooms (finely chopped)
4 ounces chorizo, ground (Mexican sausage)
1 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies, drained
4 Large eggs, beaten
1 16.3 oz can Pillsbury Flaky Layers biscuits
3/4 Cup sour cream
3/4 Teaspoon dried dill weed
3 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350º F.

Melt butter in large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add Chorizo and chilies. Stir until blended and heat through. Add beaten egg to pan and stir to blend ingredients. Cook and stir until eggs are just set, about 3 minutes. Turn off heat.

Separate biscuit dough into 8 pieces. Separate each biscuit into 2 layers, making 16 dough rounds. Using fingers, press each dough round onto the bottom and up the sides of a non-stick muffin pan. (2 3/4 X 1 1/4 inch muffin cups)

Evenly divide filling mixture into each dough cup, approx. 1 heaping Tablespoon of mixture in each cup. Press mixture into cup with the back of a spoon.

Whisk sour cream and dill weed. Divide sour cream mixture evenly over each cup; approx. 2 teaspoons per cup.

Sprinkle each cup with shredded Parmesan cheese - approx. 1 teaspoon of cheese per cup. Garnish by sprinkling dill weed on top of cheese, as desired.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until biscuits are golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove from muffin pan and serve.

Refrigerate leftovers. May be reheated in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds per biscuit.

There's no law saying what constitutes a "breakfast" food. Leftovers work quite well!! Soup, sammiches, well, anything you'd eat at any other meal is just as tasty in the morning hours.

I'd rather have my eggs / pancakes for supper. =P

:heart:
Z

assorted melon cubes and strawberries or other fruit. prepare the night before, toss it into a container. have some vanilla yogurt to dip it in. try having an unsalted hard pretzel with it. get juice in little containers.
tasty & quick. i get mine already prepared on the way in to school. it's convenient and the place i get it at is right near school.

Back
Top Bottom