"Breakfast" Refreshments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can offer a breakfast strata. It's casserole-ish, but isn't really a casserole.

All the suggestions sound good, but Kansasgirl's cheese quesadillas with mixed fruit have really got my motor running. YUM.

Cinnamon Roll Strata with Apples And Pecans

4 cup cinnamon rolls, cubed (about 1-inch pieces)
2 tablespoon butter OR margarine
2 each granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, divided
1/3 cup golden raisins
6 each eggs
2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pecan halves
2 teaspoon powdered sugar
1 x warm maple syrup

Directions:

Spread cinnamon roll cubes on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 300 degree oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

In heavy skillet, heat butter over medium heat until hot. Add apples, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Saute about 5 minutes, until tender and caramelized. Transfer to a plate and cool.

Spray 9x13 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease lightly with melted butter or margarine. Spread toasted cinnamon roll cubes in the bottom of the pan, followed by apples and raisins.

Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Pour over ingredients in pan, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Toast pecans in preheated 350 degree oven 5 to 10 minutes or until golden; do not over brown. Chop coarsely.

Remove strata from refrigerator 45 minutes before baking. Uncover and sprinkle with pecans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 35 minutes or until set in the middle. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.

NOTE: Apple-pork link breakfast sausages can be added to this dish with good results. Place 1/2 pound sausage in skillet, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until cooked through.

Remove from water and cool. Slice thinly. Spoon over bread cubes before proceeding with the recipe.

Cats

I couldn't pass your recipe without comment Cats.

I've copied & pasted all the recipes on this thread but the cinnamon roll strata really looks too good for breakfast.

Every 5 weeks we used to get together and have a good old slapup Classic English Breakfast with copious amounts of beer. Not too good for Southern Baptists but......

I did the Lambs Fry on special occasions. Hated the stuff myself, but followed the recipe shown to me by my mother's former sister in law's second cousin - twice removed's next door neighbor's hairdresser's mother. :LOL:

The boys loved it.

brooksy, what's a lamb fry breakfast?
also, is an english breakfast like an irish breakfast? (that is eggs, bacon or sausages, black and white pudding, roasted tomato, toast, and boxtie)

I think I have pretty much decided on the overnight coffee cake & pigs in a blanket. I'm still not 100% sure though. I hate having to make up my mind! :? Thank you for all of your help! I have saved all of these recipes & ideas for the next time around! But please, keep 'em commin'! :D

Hey crewsk! I'm going to post a couple more for you in a few minutes. I just have to type them up 'cause they're new ones.

This one sounds really good. I haven't made it yet but it's just moved up on my list of breakfasts to make. This would be an easy one for you to do for your family, too, Crewsk! (There's one more recipe coming in a minute...)

Orange-Pecan French Toast Casserole

Assemble the dish the night before your gathering and pop it in the oven the next morning. Be sure to serve each slice bottom-side up so the pecan mixture is on top.

1 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c butter, melted
2 Tbsp light-colored corn syrup
Cooking spray
1/3 c chopped pecans
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 c fresh orange juice
½ c fat-free milk
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
12 (1” thick) slices French bread (about 1 lb)

Combine the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; pour into a 13x9” baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over sugar mixture.

Combine rind and next 7 ingredients (rind through eggs), stir with a whisk. Arrange bread slices over pecans in dish; pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Carefully turn bread slices over to absorb excess egg mixture. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.

Here's the other. I doubt it would work for your church breakfast, but it sounds fun. I've never made it but need to find a reason to try it!

Coconut Frushi

Great addition to a breakfast buffet or as a side. Any fresh fruit will work as a topping. If the fruit won’t adhere to the rice, apply it with a dab of honey.

1 ¼ c water
1 c uncooked sushi rice or other short-grain rice
¼ c sugar
¼ c light coconut milk
Dash of salt
Cooking spray
10 orange sections
20 fresh raspberries
1 (6 oz) carton vanilla fat-free yogurt

Bring water and rice to boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until water is almost absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered 15 minutes.

Place rice in a large bowl. Add sugar, coconut milk, and salt, stirring gently until well combined. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.

Lightly coat hands with cooking spray. Divide rice mixture into 20 equal portions, shaping each into a ball (about 1 rounded tablespoon each).

Lightly press each rice ball into an oval between palms; place ovals on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Top each of 10 ovals with 1 orange section, and press gently to adhere. Top each of the remaining 10 ovals with 2 raspberries. Cover and chill frushi until ready to serve.

Serve with yogurt for dipping.

crewsk said:
I don't think it would go over to well. But I do think it looks good & would love to try it! Thanks! :D

Yeah, I'm not sure when to use it either. It just sounds fun. You'll have to let me know how the baked french toast turns out!

Bangbang said:
Sausage Gravy with Biscuits

I thought about that. But after thinking about not having tables to eat on & only having those small styrofoam dessert plates, I decided against it. I hate those little plates! :evil: But since I already have breakfast planned for tomorrow, you gave me breakfast for Thurs.! :D

crewsk said:
I hate those little plates! :evil:

Me too, crewsk. When I am a crotchety, picky old lady who MUST be humored by all the younger relatives, I am going to refuse to eat or drink off styrofoam or use plastic silverware. They will just have to grin and bear it and complain about me behind my bent old back.

Back
Top Bottom