"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #41
Senior Cook

"Breakfast" refreshments?

I've never made biscotti but it would be a good choice. I made low fat chewy oatmeal bars - recipe on back of large Quaker oats box - and they travel well. Deviled eggs are always good.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:43 PM   #42

Took a quick look at this earlier KCrews, and shuddered at the thought of doing it for children, but thought maybe "Rice Krispy cake" made with cheerios and fruit bits together with marshmallows, to get some semblenceof Vitamin B into the menu...of course when you said "adult eaters" this makes more sense, and transfer from "cherry bits to "cranberry bits"...

Likewise, unheart-healthy but is bits and bites, isn't it?

Try making "Monte Cristo Sandwiches", with layers of "french toast", thily sliced "sugar cured" ham (almost, or better, "shaved" ham...) Provolone or Swiss cheese, extra thinly cut, note for the bread, to use sourdough, fresh baked, raisin or "holiday" bread, soaking it extra long in the egg mixture, frying it up a bit "extra crisp", and cutting into 1" square "bites", which, hopefully, you might be able to keep reasonably "warm" for service...accompany these with sliced melons (there are a boatload, honeydew, watermelon, the "golden" varietals...you know what I mean!)

If you want to go "back" a few pages in "Appetizers", I wrote up my wife's favourite "Spinach Dip" with the stuffed pumpernickel loaf, steamed spinach, waterchestnuts, mayo, etc., that a few members attested to and/or raved at the thought...

A few nice thougts of the "proscioutto" (sp?) wrapped melon bits, if you want to "splurge", as you aren't, probably getting a tax receipt for your skills and generosity...but you might want to do a "test run" with this thought, before you try it at home on the family...

Anyways, a few thoughts!

Lifter