Breakfast - Sun - Dec. 9, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
While I was strolling the aisles at the local grocery tonight - I ran across something I hadn't thought about in some time ... a tin of smoked kippers. So, breakfast is going to be this concoction that I made back in my college days ...

1 can smoked kippers (about 3.5 oz)
1/2 medium yellow onion (diced)
1-2 tablespoons butter (salted)
3-4 eggs (beaten)

1 English muffin (split - buttered and toasted)

Drain the oil from the tin of kippers into a skillet, add the butter, and add the onion ... sauté until soft and starting to brown ... then add the kippers and break up with a fork, and add the eggs ... stir everything together and cook to a soft scramble (you can add a couple tablespoons heavy cream or sour cream if you wish).

Serve with the toasted English muffins on the side ...

And a right nice cup of Earl Gray, or a hearty Irish breakfast tea.

Last edited:
Dang! I want to go eat at Katie and Buck's place. I had oatmeal (the real stuff cooked on the stove) and I tossed in a handful of blueberries. Then I topped with brown sugar and enough milk to cool it down a bit. 2 cups of coffee and I'm ready to rock!

I had a Sunshine Skillet at Bob Evans..... does that count :LOL:
Man I wish I could make biscuits like theirs.

mac-n-cheese, kippers are fish that were caught during it's spawning season that have been salted and smoked. i've seen herring and salmon, but any fish can technically be "kippered".
the reason they're salted/smoked is that fish caught during spawning are abundant but don't taste as good as they could, so preserving while adding flavor is the way to go.
i love kippered herring, as well as trout and whitefish.

michael, your breakfast sounds fantastic! i'm craving eggs and smoked fish.

sunday morning, while i was still bleary eyed from working late, dw took off to go to costco. so i asked my boy what we should have for beakfast.

we had turkey hot dogs, baked lays potato chips, tangerines, and snapple iced green tea. :chef:
for breakfast.

guess i don't need to dna test the kid.

I had to work.
Egg sandwich on a cheddar herb bagel
W/ swiss cheese, bacon, tomato, lettuce, onion, and a squeeze of ceasar dressing.
No wonder I love working mornings!

mac-n-cheese, kippers are fish that were caught during it's spawning season that have been salted and smoked. i've seen herring and salmon, but any fish can technically be "kippered".
the reason they're salted/smoked is that fish caught during spawning are abundant but don't taste as good as they could, so preserving while adding flavor is the way to go.
i love kippered herring, as well as trout and whitefish.

Ahh, ok. thanks for explaining.

and, I also think baked lays taste good anytime of day, too. great kid ya got there.

Now you know what that old Supertramp song is about, Mac- :)

"Can we have kippers for breakfast, Mummy dear Mummy dear?
They get to have them in Texas, cuz everyones a millionaire."

pacanis said:
Now you know what that old Supertramp song is about, Mac- :)

"Can we have kippers for breakfast, Mummy dear Mummy dear?
They get to have them in Texas, cuz everyones a millionaire."

LOL pacanis ... kippers are more common in the UK and New England than in TX.

And trust me ... we're not all millionaires, we don't all shop from the Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalog, we don't all have ranches, horses, cattle, oil wells in our front yards, or big bass boats ... and I don't even have a pick-up truck! :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom