Brownie Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brownies #1 or Brownies #2

• Total voters
OK mudbug STOP! You took away the iPod and the computer...don't take away dessert too! That is unnecessarily cruel! :LOL:

My problem with the recipes were that they weren't specific enough with regards to ingredients. For example..."cocoa": Dutch process cocoa or natural cocoa? I used dutch process but have no idea if that was your intent. Chocolate...unsweetened, bittersweet, semisweet, milk, dark? Again, you made no specification. I had bittersweet on hand so I used that...but that part didn't turn out well.

Not only did we get two wonderful brownie recipes and ideas for a gift, but we had fun together just baking and comparing our thoughts. We ought to do this more often..
kadesma:)

Poppinfresh said:
My problem with the recipes were that they weren't specific enough with regards to ingredients. For example..."cocoa": Dutch process cocoa or natural cocoa? I used dutch process but have no idea if that was your intent. Chocolate...unsweetened, bittersweet, semisweet, milk, dark? Again, you made no specification. I had bittersweet on hand so I used that...but that part didn't turn out well.

My apologies Poppinfresh. I didn't intend for anyone to be so specific, more to just use what they had on hand. I only ever use Dutch Process cocoa, and didn't use the chocolate as I plan on jarring these as gifts and cocoa is more amenable to jarring!

I just made #1... I've never been the best baker, but they turned out all right. They seemed a little too gooey in the middle and, even though I greased the dish, they still want to stick. I baked them for the full 30 minutes and, since it didn't look to cracky on top, I left them in for another 3 minutes. The top seemed to be starting to develop black spots, so I took them out.

Good feedback Z. I am getting a lot of gooey about #1. I am wondering if it is too gooey.

Sugar and Spice, glad it went over well, make sure you post to let me know how #2 goes.

I sure appreciate all of you helping me with this and letting me know what it is you like and don't like about the recipes.

Just finished cooling a pan of Brownie #1. I used Hershey's dark choc cocoa. They are very good!

When this pan is finished (could even be later tonight after HH gets home), we'll try Brownie #2.

Alix said:
Good feedback Z. I am getting a lot of gooey about #1. I am wondering if it is too gooey.

Sugar and Spice, glad it went over well, make sure you post to let me know how #2 goes.

I sure appreciate all of you helping me with this and letting me know what it is you like and don't like about the recipes.
Alix,
yes, brownie #1 is gooey in the middle, but it hold together well and is not a sticky gooey that stays on your hands if eaten with your fingers..I loved them, guess it's because for me most brownies are dry..I loved these, so did the kids.

kadesma:)

Our pan of #1 doesn't seem gooey at all - dense and moist, yes, but not particularly gooey.

I love gooey. wonder what we did wrong. Oops, just checked the recipe again and we used a cup of cocoa with the flour instead of more chips (not enough chips). D'ya spose that was it?

Alix - I started out by making #1 the way you recommmended - cocoa instead of chips and 1 c white sugar and 1 c brown - things got rushed - I forgot to add the 1 c of chips - but didn't realize it until a week later when I made the recipe again - anyways, my family thought it was a bit too cocoa-y. They were good but not in a brownie way - they reminded me of a fancy cake you would get in an upscale restaurant.

Yesterday I made #1 again - this time with chocolate chips instead of cocoa and more white sugar than brown (1-1/2 c white and 1/2 c brown) - the result: Yum! They were gooey - just like we like 'em - but not too gooey! I was surprised how light in color they were. Very good.

I haven't made #2 yet - I chose #1 because we are more gooey brownie fans than cake brownie fans.

Thanks so much for sharing these recipes. I hope everyone's input helps you achieve your goals!

Better late than never- I made #2 today, we used white choc chips and some walnuts in them too and they were beautiful!! I had to cook them for more than 30 minutes but my oven is hopeless. I love the crusty edges and then the gooey middle and they were so easy to make.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom