"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Another Lurpak fan here!! I think it is one of the bests around, if it is not THE best. (Except the ones we could get straight fresh from the mountain farmers while we were in the Alps.... )

I agree with Goodweed. Both butter and margarine are not the ideal thing for your health if you overdo them and are the things to be consumed in moderation. And hydrogenated vegetable oil is absolutely no healthier than butter fat. But when you do use them and if they are equally guilty, then why not go for the gusto and enjoy that special creamy sweet rich flavour that only butter can offer?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #32
Senior Cook

i'm lactose intolerant, and even though butter does not have a lot of lactose, i STILL use ghee (clarified butter) most of the time-but that's just for the richness of flavor that it adds.

but just like butter, you MUST use ghee in moderation...

i do use butter in most of my recipes... just not as much, and when i do, i almost ALWAYS use Plugra (european style, unsalted). i will hunt down the lurpak and give it a try though.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Ellen...you are dead right! Margarine should be outlawed AFAIC. I use Olivio's EVOO spread or the avocado one. Except for baking, gotta have the real thing so butter's the go there! Good Lord, imagine pikelets or scones with marg, not a good thought at all.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
Ellen...you are dead right! Margarine should be outlawed AFAIC. I use Olivio's EVOO spread or the avocado one...
You don't consider Olivio to be margerine???
Old 08-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #35
Sous Chef

BuckyTom, agreed re Lurpak...it is wonderful. Got to know it well when I lived in Italy and I was SO happy to see it on our supermarket shelves here in lil' ole' New Zealand. We had come of age as far as I was concerned!!
We do have superb butter here in NZ ( and the world's best cream...promise!) that is bright yellow from all the lovely grass we have, and sooooo tasty. Mostly salted tho'.

There is something sexy about Lurpaks paleness. I dunno. And the taste sure is too!

Urmaniac, I agree also about Italian butter in the Alps. In Valdisotto ( SO) my family had cows so butter and cheese were always being made. Exceptional stuff.
And boy do I miss Bitto cheese.
Terribly.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #36
Sous Chef

AndyM...you know about our Olivio brand??

0ooops! I mean Olivani not Olivio...sheesh but I get confused with those two brands.
Olivani has our National Heart Foundation healthy heart food tick.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Olivio is an olive oil based fake butter spread sold in the US. It contains no cholesterol or trans fats.

From your earlier post, I assume your Oliviani is the same or similar.

So if it's a fake butter spread made with vegetable oil and lots of water, and processed to make it a solid at room temperature, I consider it margerine. You are putting it in a separate category.

Granted, it's probably more healthful than old style margerines.