"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #51
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I think you mean clarified butter and the beauty of this butter is you can cook with it at a higher temp like in Indian food and it has a long shelf life because you took the impurities out.
Yep, just caught that typo. Microsoft Word is good with the spell check.....but even though it is spelled correctly doesn't mean it was the right word!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
I’m frugal, and I have to say, there was some sticker shock on real butter today. I saw $4.89 for 1 pound of butter, or $2.89 for THREE pounds of great tasting, no trans fat, Country Crock with yogurt! Hard choice….

BUT, I have just realized today, in this thread, that I have not been using real butter, and probably haven’t been around it (real butter) since I was knee high to a grass hopper when Grandma cooked with it.

I feel a bit ignorant about this……a bit embarrassed for not knowing the difference…….but now I am having fun with butter, and I want others to know that, if you’re using a “tub” and not a stick, then it probably ain’t butter. Who knew. Butter don’t come in tubs! If you’re a real butter user, then you’re using sticks!

Because of this, I’m thinking of getting one of these! Katie, how long will butter last on the counter top in one of these?

Also, butter manufacturers like Land-O-Lakes also a make stick version of margarine, so even buying a stick doesn’t guarantee you got butter. What a trip …….I’ve really learned a lot here in this thread!
The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
I’m frugal, and I have to say, there was some sticker shock on real butter today. I saw $4.89 for 1 pound of butter, or $2.89 for THREE pounds of great tasting, no trans fat, Country Crock with yogurt! Hard choice….

BUT, I have just realized today, in this thread, that I have not been using real butter, and probably haven’t been around it (real butter) since I was knee high to a grass hopper when Grandma cooked with it.

I feel a bit ignorant about this……a bit embarrassed for not knowing the difference…….but now I am having fun with butter, and I want others to know that, if you’re using a “tub” and not a stick, then it probably ain’t butter. Who knew. Butter don’t come in tubs! If you’re a real butter user, then you’re using sticks!

Because of this, I’m thinking of getting one of these! Katie, how long will butter last on the counter top in one of these?

Also, butter manufacturers like Land-O-Lakes also a make stick version of margarine, so even buying a stick doesn’t guarantee you got butter. What a trip …….I’ve really learned a lot here in this thread!
Exactly thats why I use butter for some things and Smart Balance for others there are times I prefer the healthy spread over the butter just because I like the taste.Just read your labels on your sticks as margarine also comes in sticks.Are you really confused now? Dont be embarrassed you only know what you know until you come right here to DC.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
I grew up with stick butter. I use stick butter for my baking typically - especially pastry, can't do that with margarine. However for every day eating I use "Land O Lakes light butter" in the little plastic tub. I used to use margarine until I found out the issue with trans fat being far worse for you than the saturated fat/cholesterol in butter. There are a few margarines on the market that don't have the trans fat in them, but I tend to prefer the LOL light butter to the others.
Land-O-Lakes Light is technically a margarine.......more specifically, a blend. It starts with real butter and emulsifies oils into it. Either way, not real butter.

INGREDIENTS: Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).
*Ingredients not found in regular butter. CONTAINS: MILK
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.
No kidding!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Exactly thats why I use butter for some things and Smart Balance for others there are times I prefer the healthy spread over the butter just because I like the taste.Just read your labels on your sticks as margarine also comes in sticks.Are you really confused now? Dont be embarrassed you only know what you know until you come right here to DC.
DC has been an eye opener for me...but DANG, I got totally floored on this butter issue today! This is akin, seriously, to finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist. What an earth mover.....and I thought I knew something!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Cool! I'm ordering one and am gonna try it! Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Both, it depends on what I am cooking. Though I do want to know why most say butter is better in terms of health vs margarine. I was under the impression that butter has a lot of cholestorol and salt, and margarine has healthy oils, less salt.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #59
Cook

Quote:
Land-O-Lakes Light is technically a margarine.......more specifically, a blend. It starts with real butter and emulsifies oils into it. Either way, not real butter.

INGREDIENTS: Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).
*Ingredients not found in regular butter. CONTAINS: MILK
Yes I know, but it tastes more 'buttery' than any of the others I've tried. Plus at least it does say 'butter' on it.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
DC has been an eye opener for me...but DANG, I got totally floored on this butter issue today! This is akin, seriously, to finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist. What an earth mover.....and I thought I knew something!

Now, now. You went from pryin' to medlin' Santa DOES exist. How else do I explain all the wonderful things I get under my Christmas tree. Oh, Buck.......