"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #61
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
That's amazing, keltin. My house has always had "stick" butter. When I was a child, I used to help my grandmother make "oleo." She would give me a sealed plastic one-pound package of some nearly-white colored substance that had a "dot" of red in the center. My job was to knead the package until the red was distributed into the oleo. After many, many minutes of kneading the red was melded into the oleo and it turned a lovely yellow, just like butter. That was a long, long time ago. Guess I'm giving away my age, but that's how things were then. My grandparents couldn't afford "real" butter so they did the best they could.
That is such a cool story!! Thanks for sharing that one! I.......no words really......

Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Quote:
The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.
Lucky you where I live its that expensive so I try to stock up when its on sale.I freeze it when I get a good price.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Now, now. You went from pryin' to medlin' Santa DOES exist. How else do I explain all the wonderful things I get under my Christmas tree. Oh, Buck.......
LOL!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Both, it depends on what I am cooking. Though I do want to know why most say butter is better in terms of health vs margarine. I was under the impression that butter has a lot of cholestorol and salt, and margarine has healthy oils, less salt.
Read the whole thread and you will learn Grasshopper
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
The butter crock you reference, keltin, is the same as the butter bell I told you about a few posts ago. As long as the water is changed regularly, the butter will last indefinitely. We've never had butter go bad in our bell.

Wow! Butter is high in your area. We usually pay only about $2 per pound for salted or unsalted butter. You gotta move.
The crock was invented I believe by the french when they had no refridgeration the water creates a barrier from the air but as you said must be changed daily.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Ok jpm, I just didnt have time to read through the thread. Normally in all threads I take the time to read through. Just wanted a quick answer in a nut shell basically. Without reading through at this time, I guess it would depend on one's diet ( cholestoral, salt, etc) and weigh that against margarine vs butter. Not sure, just a guess. In my opinion, butter tastes better, but not necessarily better for your health.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Ok jpm, I just didnt have time to read through the thread. Normally in all threads I take the time to read through. Just wanted a quick answer in a nut shell basically. Without reading through at this time, I guess it would depend on one's diet ( cholestoral, salt, etc) and weigh that against margarine vs butter. Not sure, just a guess. In my opinion, butter tastes better, but not necessarily better for your health.
Margarine with trans fats is bad. Tans fat can do BOTH of lowering good cholesterol and raising bad cholesterol. All in one shot. Saturated fats, which are high in real butter, only lower good cholesterol but donít raise bad cholesterol. So saturated fat is only a single whammy while a trans fat is a double whammy (lowers good AND raises bad).

So, margarine, typically high in trans fats, is bad. BUT, in the past two years or so, margarine has started to steer clear of trans fat making it healthier (less saturated fats & 0 trans fats) than real butter. Check Country Crock with yogurt!

Most gripes you hear today about margarine are based on the old school days when they used trans fats,. These days, they donít.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #68
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I can't afford real butter, but that is still what I use. I try to buy it only when it is on sale. If I can afford to stock up when it is on sale I freeze a lot of it. I usually buy the store brand, just because it is cheaper, but sometimes I can get Land 'o Lakes for the same price (or less) as the store brand.

I guess we each have a few things we are willing to spend a little more on, and butter is one of those things for me.

Barbara
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy both salted and unsalted butters from Costco. The are sold in packs of three one-pound packages for less than $2 a pound.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #70
Certified Pretend Chef

Keltin. I don't use a lot of butter for toast or such so cold hard sticks isn't a major problem. If you need soft butter for a muffin or piece of toast, just slice off a couple of pats and leave them on the edge of the plate while the muffin or toast is getting ready and it will be soft enough to spread.

I keep one stick in the fridge for pans. I just peel back the paper and quickly run the end of the stick around in the hot pan and enough melts off to cook eggs or quesadillas or whatever.