"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #71
Senior Cook

We use only butter in our home and have for many years. I buy it when it's on sale, as well, and freeze.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
So, everyone here that is saying they love "real butter" is only buying and using sticks??????

I want to hear from all the posters.....are you only using sticks and butter dishes?

Yep, only real butter here. I can buy butter in 4 sticks to the pound, in one pound blocks and in 2 pound Amish made rolls. I use a butter dish that I keep in the fridge and bring out when needed.

I used to live down wind from a margarine factory in Columbus Ohio. It smelled like vomit.

I was raised on margarine, as well as white bread, marshmallow creme sandwiches, fried bologna and canned vegetables boiled to death. Instinctively, when I left home, I switched to butter, whole grain foods and fresh fruits and vegetables. Margarine to me is an abomination

Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #73
Master Chef

[quote=jpmcgrew;490975]
Quote:
I'll try that! But I just looked it up, and Smart Balance is technically a margarine (whipped oil with other ingredients). Next thing you know, someone is gonna' say the Tooth Fairy isn't real.............HUSH! [/quote
Yes but the point is its not bad for you in fact its good for you with no trans fatty acids with a good amount of Omega 3.It has also been endorsed by professional chefs for the taste.No hydrogenated oils,no gluten,no gelatine.
Try it you will like it.I have a friend who is a heart surgeon and he also uses it.Im not saying give up butter because I wont but its great on toast and as a substitute for baking recipes that call for margarine just dont get the light version you cant cook with it and it doesn't taste as good.I like to use butter for some things and the Smart Balance for others

I think regular SmartBalance is one of the worst spreads I've tasted. Worse than the Mother's margerine I use. Sorry.

But my SIL bought some organic, vegan Smart Balance and it is very different -- tastes closer to butter. Problem is that you can't use it for baking becasue of all the water in it.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #74
Master Chef

Quote:
Land-O-Lakes Light is technically a margarine.......more specifically, a blend. It starts with real butter and emulsifies oils into it. Either way, not real butter.

INGREDIENTS: Butter (Cream, Salt), Water*, Food Starch-Modified*, Contains Less Than 2% of Tapioca Maltodextrin*, Salt, Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides*, Lactic Acid*, Potassium Sorbate* (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate* (Preservative), Xanthan Gum*, Natural Flavor* Vitamin A Palmitate*, Beta Carotene* (color).

*Ingredients not found in regular butter. CONTAINS: MILK

Where are the oils listed? This looks like butter with water emulsified into it. And chemicals added for some reason.

This is not margerine.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #75
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Keltin. I don't use a lot of butter for toast or such so cold hard sticks isn't a major problem. If you need soft butter for a muffin or piece of toast, just slice off a couple of pats and leave them on the edge of the plate while the muffin or toast is getting ready and it will be soft enough to spread.

I keep one stick in the fridge for pans. I just peel back the paper and quickly run the end of the stick around in the hot pan and enough melts off to cook eggs or quesadillas or whatever.
Why not just keep a stick of butter out on the counter in a butter dish? Since butter is a fat, bacteria won't grow on it, and it will last a long time at room temperature, as long as it's covered. I always keep a stick out.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Why not just keep a stick of butter out on the counter in a butter dish?...

For the reason I stated earlier:

"I don't use a lot of butter for toast or such so cold hard sticks isn't a major problem."
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #77
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Where are the oils listed? This looks like butter with water emulsified into it. And chemicals added for some reason.

This is not margerine.
Vegetable Mono And Diglycerides are a fat that aid in emulsifying. Margarine!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #78
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
After some experimenting with real butter, and cooking a full meal with it, Iíve decided I prefer a spread such as Country Crock with no trans fats to butter.

Butter, in my area, can cost 500% more than a spread. Country Crock is healthier than butter with less calories and lower saturated fat. Butter is just too greasy. Butter only comes in sticks or blocks and is too hard to work with. Butter has less flavor than a spread.

I literally rolled an ear of corn in a plate of greasy melted butter, and even though my corn was dripping with the fatty substance, it still had very little butter flavor. On the next ear, just a small pat of Country Crock and there was an explosion of buttery flavor with almost none of the greasy mess that butter created. Further, the mashed potatoes had far less flavor and a looser texture when made with real butter as opposed to Country Crock.

So, I prefer a spread to real butter. Itís far more economical, healthier, easier to work with, and has more flavor. Next on my list to try is Smart Balance!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Norwegian grandparents came over from Norway to Minnesota and grandfather started a dairy farm. My mother was raised on butter and only butter but someone invented Oleo which they put a container of orange/yellow stuff in so make the color more like butter. Mom's told me this story many times. When I was little, we went from only butter to oleo/margarine for a while, it wasn't the same. Not the same at all.

Put a stick of butter on a plate on the counter, do the same with a stick of margarine (gad it's hard to type in a motor home while it's moving like crazy) leave it there, which one melts? That's the one I want running through my veins. My husband treats me to gourmet butters a lot. He'll come home from work and have a little package of it for me, never know the origin but always relish the adventure.

Husband sent me an email a year or two ago that revealed how margarine is a very close cousin to plastic. Wish I had it here, I'd post the link
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #80
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Why not just keep a stick of butter out on the counter in a butter dish? Since butter is a fat, bacteria won't grow on it, and it will last a long time at room temperature, as long as it's covered. I always keep a stick out.
I dont know about bacteria but if butter sits out long enough even a butter bell it will go rancid.