California Olive Oil + Penne alla Vodka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I'll admit, the California Olive Oil isn't quite as good as it's Spanish cousin. Although the fruitiness in the oil is nice, it's missing the peppery and grassy qualities that oils from the Mediterranean have. Still good drizzled over pasta. Penne alla Vodka with San Marzano Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Fresh Ground Pecorino-Romanao cheese.

I just remembered I can't stand Alton Brown but only admins can edit thread titles. :huh: I guess that's what happens when you hit "submit thread" too quickly.

Attachments

• penne-pasta.jpg
    penne-pasta.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 275
  • olive-oil.jpg
    olive-oil.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 275
IC,
this olive oil is produced here where I live and the Mr. S. attends chruch with us each sunday, he sells his olive oil at the local farmers market each thursday and saturday..Nice man, oil very good if a bit pricey..

kadesma:)

IC I edited yout title for you.

Your dish looks delicious! I think you just helped me decide what is for dinner tonight :)

everytime i see the food of iornchef,i have a feeling of being in restaurant. this is not the same as be in china.
In china,maybe one chef can do the excellent food.but when he go home ,in the most time ,his wife will prepare some ordinary dishes. the ordinary ones is not so beautiful.
haha

Your pasta look delicious, just the way the Romans like to prepare theirs!! I am the lucky one who lives in a place where good olive oil is readily available with reasonably low cost, but I am glad that you have found a fine alternative without damaging your budget too much!!
We do the same procedure for our blocks of parm/grana padano/aged pecorino some times, it is a very handy solution...though with certain recipes we prefer to use our hand cranked cheese grinder to give more texture.

urmaniac13 said:
Your pasta look delicious, just the way the Romans like to prepare theirs!! I am the lucky one who lives in a place where good olive oil is readily available with reasonably low cost, but I am glad that you have found a fine alternative without damaging your budget too much!!
We do the same procedure for our blocks of parm/grana padano/aged pecorino some times, it is a very handy solution...though with certain recipes we prefer to use our hand cranked cheese grinder to give more texture.

I have to actually pick up another cheese grinder. Mine broke from overuse. At home, I have like I think 10 or 12 different types of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use it all pretty quickly so they don't go bad.

My favorite extra virgin olive oil is on this page. It's in the second row on the far right in the tin:

http://www.colorsofspain.com/oil.htm

Your pasta dish looks delicious. I must be one of the few people in the world that doesnt really care for olive oil. I find it has a strong flavor, though I must admit I havent tried really good olive oils, just the least expensive extra virgin from my grocery store. I really prefer canola oil.

My goodness, Ironchef. I've just looked at the prices of the olive oil in the link you give. That's pure theft! I've just bought 10 litres of organic extra virgin olive oil made with my favourite olives (picual), 5 litres cost me 33 euros and it is excellent oil. I should start shipping oil over.

Snoop Puss said:
My goodness, Ironchef. I've just looked at the prices of the olive oil in the link you give. That's pure theft! I've just bought 10 litres of organic extra virgin olive oil made with my favourite olives (picual), 5 litres cost me 33 euros and it is excellent oil. I should start shipping oil over.

I'm sure the selection that you get is unbelievable. I don't actually order my olive oil online, I get it from a Spanish market in Los Angeles.

I'm sure the selection that you get is unbelievable. I don't actually order my olive oil online, I get it from a Spanish market in Los Angeles.

Don't make me drive through Hollyweird to get it! :LOL: Where in L.A.?

Love penne alla Vodka - sometimes add some cream/half 'n half and throw on some fresh basil. Think this may be a pasta week for me, IC. Thanks for sharing.:)

ETA: Don't have any Marzanos at the moment, but I'm thinking about roasting some tomatoes, evoo, garlic & herbs -- may add that to the mix. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom