Can I be Gourmet if I do not eat ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopz said:
I like to think of myself as a good, adventuresome, creative cook, maybe even gourmet/gourmand, at least my friends call me that.

But... I do not like Offal, Sweetbreads, Haggis, Organ Meat, Game, Small birds like pigeon and quail, Sushi, Sashimi, or even Caviar... does this disqualify me a a serious cook/gourmet?

It must derive from my familys background... down to earth first generation off the farm.

I watch the Food Network and cannot even imagine eating a lamb's bladder filled with who knows what... I cannot conceive of that being good. I might eat it if my plane crashed in the Andes and that was all there was, but if there is an alternative- why?

Thoughts?

In my eyes there are many types of cooks, and all are valued in my opinion.:chef:;)

GB said:
Why can't both of those be "good" though IC? I understand what you are saying about good being subject to a variety of factors, but I think that foie gras and pork chops and mashed potatoes can be equally good. There can be good foie gras and bad foie gras and the same with the chops and potatoes.

No, they both are good. I happen to like both. But, I don't consider smothered pork chops and mashed potatoes gourmet. Going by the definitions in the dictionary they are though. That's why if the meaning of gourmet or gourmand was to be judged strictly by what the dictionary says, it would have to be broken down into different levels, just like how different restaurants are broken down into fast food, casual, upscale casual, fine dining, etc.

Now, if I were served a stuffed Berkshire Double-cut Pork Chop with Truffled Gravy and Whipped Horseradish and Chive Potato, THAT would be gourmet. Not just good, but gourmet. And soigne. Soigne Soul Food.

Those definitions are referring to the person though, not the food.

I agree with you about food though. I would not consider the standard pork chops and mashed potatoes to be gourmet food unless prepared they way you lated described (yum!)

The OP's original intent was to describe the person (himself) and what 'qualified' one to be a gour... (insert the suffix of your choice).

In general, I have taken gourmand to be an uncomplimentary term while gourmet is considered complimentary. But that's just my take.

Drama Queen said:
Which brings me back to my origiinal question: What the heck is a gourmet hot dog?
A hotdog made with gourmet ingredients as opposed to a regular dog made with standard ingredients.

GB said:
A hotdog made with gourmet ingredients as opposed to a regular dog made with standard ingredients.

I would probably consider a hot dog "gourmet" if it were made with exotic, organic, artisinal, etc. type ingredients.

Ok then, if the definition is going by the person and not the food, then I would not consider one "gourmet" if they haven't tried the foods listed, but just assume that they won't like them because of the idea of what the food is. I don't consider one "gourmet" if they have had the opportunity to try more exotic foods, but instead choose to order what they know. Now if a person has tried all of these foods and it's just a matter of taste, that's one thing. But to automatically assume that they won't like it is something else.

having said that, you haven`t lived until you`ve been to Highlands of Scotland and tracked down, hunted, killed, and then Cooked your very own Haggis! :)

YT2095 said:
having said that, you haven`t lived until you`ve been to Highlands of Scotland and tracked down, hunted, killed, and then Cooked your very own Haggis! :)

I believe they like to forage on young guacamole plants.

Thistles Andy, they eat thistles. And scare Highland ponies. The haggis is a fierce beast.

It is interesting that you say you're first generation off the farm and that is why you don't like these meats. My dad is a farmer's kid and he loves all of it. I do draw the line and kidneys, they smell like what they are. Mom used to make them for Dad, but, well, none of us ate them. I also simply do not like the looks of menudo but would eat them if I was in a situation where it would be polite to do so. But no, I don't think you give up gourmet status by choosing not to cook or eat those products. In my opinion you give up gourmet/gourmand status when you quit eating an entire category of food like meat, or flour or .... if you go to a restaurant and cannot find something to eat at all (oh, this has that in it, this has something else in it, I can't eat that) ... or if you go to a friend's home for dinner and cannot eat because of an aversion to, say, onions. Once you become a vegan, it is all done.

My ambition has never to be labeled as a "gourmet" but I do like to be called a great cook.

Eat what you like, using the freshest and best ingredients you can afford and you'll always have wonderful food.

Back
Top Bottom