"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
I like to think of myself as a good, adventuresome, creative cook, maybe even gourmet/gourmand, at least my friends call me that.

But... I do not like Offal, Sweetbreads, Haggis, Organ Meat, Game, Small birds like pigeon and quail, Sushi, Sashimi, or even Caviar... does this disqualify me a a serious cook/gourmet?

It must derive from my familys background... down to earth first generation off the farm.

I watch the Food Network and cannot even imagine eating a lamb's bladder filled with who knows what... I cannot conceive of that being good. I might eat it if my plane crashed in the Andes and that was all there was, but if there is an alternative- why?

Thoughts?
In my eyes there are many types of cooks, and all are valued in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Why can't both of those be "good" though IC? I understand what you are saying about good being subject to a variety of factors, but I think that foie gras and pork chops and mashed potatoes can be equally good. There can be good foie gras and bad foie gras and the same with the chops and potatoes.
No, they both are good. I happen to like both. But, I don't consider smothered pork chops and mashed potatoes gourmet. Going by the definitions in the dictionary they are though. That's why if the meaning of gourmet or gourmand was to be judged strictly by what the dictionary says, it would have to be broken down into different levels, just like how different restaurants are broken down into fast food, casual, upscale casual, fine dining, etc.

Now, if I were served a stuffed Berkshire Double-cut Pork Chop with Truffled Gravy and Whipped Horseradish and Chive Potato, THAT would be gourmet. Not just good, but gourmet. And soigne. Soigne Soul Food.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Those definitions are referring to the person though, not the food.

I agree with you about food though. I would not consider the standard pork chops and mashed potatoes to be gourmet food unless prepared they way you lated described (yum!)
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

The OP's original intent was to describe the person (himself) and what 'qualified' one to be a gour... (insert the suffix of your choice).

In general, I have taken gourmand to be an uncomplimentary term while gourmet is considered complimentary. But that's just my take.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Which brings me back to my origiinal question: What the heck is a gourmet hot dog?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
Which brings me back to my origiinal question: What the heck is a gourmet hot dog?
A hotdog made with gourmet ingredients as opposed to a regular dog made with standard ingredients.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
A hotdog made with gourmet ingredients as opposed to a regular dog made with standard ingredients.
I would probably consider a hot dog "gourmet" if it were made with exotic, organic, artisinal, etc. type ingredients.

Ok then, if the definition is going by the person and not the food, then I would not consider one "gourmet" if they haven't tried the foods listed, but just assume that they won't like them because of the idea of what the food is. I don't consider one "gourmet" if they have had the opportunity to try more exotic foods, but instead choose to order what they know. Now if a person has tried all of these foods and it's just a matter of taste, that's one thing. But to automatically assume that they won't like it is something else.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
having said that, you haven`t lived until you`ve been to Highlands of Scotland and tracked down, hunted, killed, and then Cooked your very own Haggis! :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #29
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
DQ, check out this web site! Hot Doug's

Voila! Gourmet Hot Dogs!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
having said that, you haven`t lived until you`ve been to Highlands of Scotland and tracked down, hunted, killed, and then Cooked your very own Haggis! :)
I believe they like to forage on young guacamole plants.