can you figure out what pittsburgh language means?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
now, any non-pittsburghers, let's and try and see if you can figure these out...

-what is pop?
-what do pittsburgher's call sandwiches?
-what is do we put ON our sandwiches?
-what is dahn tahn?
-what's yins?
-what's youns?
-what's diddint?
-what's a gumband?
-what's a stiller?
-what's a primanti's?
-what's a crick?
-what's 'gint iggle?
-what does 'jeet' mean?

lol, actually, i don't even really use most of these terms, Mom made me speak properly, but i sure as **** have heard them enough and used to use many of them when i was little...
and might i ask my fellow pennsylvanians to not answer these questions? we can then get a laugh from some of the answers that people post. :D

ok luvs, here goes:

-what is pop? soda pop
-what do pittsburgher's call sandwiches? grinders
-what is do we put ON our sandwiches? ?????
-what is dahn tahn? downtown
-what's yins? ?????
-what's youns? all of you
-what's diddint? ????
-what's a gumband? a rubber band
-what's a stiller? a steeler (football)
-what's a primanti's? ????
-what's a crick? a small river
-what's 'gint iggle? ?????
-what does 'jeet' mean? did you eat

ok, couldn't decipher all of 'em. how'd i do?

Shucks!!!! I guessed all the same ones buckytom did -
with a guess at:

what's diddint? - didn't it (just a guess though)

marmalady said:
LOL, luvs-food - I grew up in Pgh!

woo-hoo, marm! a fellow pittsburgher! i grew up just outside of it, but spent (and still do spend) half my days there. :D

i saw it on "the best of" show on food tv a few years ago. why would i even remember that? such a waste of braincells, now if i could only remember where i put my keys...

ok, so what's diddint and yins? last 2 left.

okay, diddnt is 'did not'.
'yins' are 'youns', and 'youns' are, 'you guys'. all one in the same, really.

And I thought "yins" were the same thing as "hankerins" - learn something new every day!

As for 'crick' - it's either a small stream (creek) or, if your my age, it's a stiff neck that hurts - not to be confused with a 'hitch' which is the same as a 'crick' but somewhere else - such as in your 'getalong'.

p brothers sands rock sooooo much i go to the burg just to get there sandswiches also a cheese steak from the o . forget about it . there fries are the bomb . my ex was born there the first time she said gumban i nearly lost it . but when her cousin said yins kids goin dawn tawn i laughed right in her face it was so unexpected i didnt know there was an whole launguage http://www.pittsburghese.com/ this site is off the hook have fun . :D

fat n happy said:
p brothers sands rock sooooo much i go to the burg just to get there sandswiches also a cheese steak from the o . forget about it . there fries are the bomb . my ex was born there the first time she said gumban i nearly lost it . but when her cousin said yins kids goin dawn tawn i laughed right in her face it was so unexpected i didnt know there was an whole launguage http://www.pittsburghese.com/ this site is off the hook have fun . :D

lol, that sight pretty much sums it up! :D
yins guys oughta check it out!

Back
Top Bottom