Canadian-American Chains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread has been so fun to read through from start to where we're at now...I must say that while I don't drink coffee, if I want to splurge on calories it's gotta be Tim's for me! I had maple glazed and powdered jam filled fantasies while we were abroad. They just don't make 'em overseas like they do at Tim Hortons.

Someone told me awhile ago that there is no Dairy Queen in the States is that true? Likewise a burger and ice cream place that I've never seen north of the 49th is Sonic, are there any up here?

Piccolina said:
Someone told me awhile ago that there is no Dairy Queen in the States is that true?

They had one in the town my grandmother lived in in Hitchcock, TX. There's one on Emory Rd. here in Knoxville, and there was one in Ft. Myers, FL, where I grew up. Some of them are Dairy Queen/Brazier stores.

Soooo not true around here in Virginia. We have both the straight ice cream joints and the ice cream/brazier versions.

What I miss is Steak and Shake, but that's for another thread about U.S. chains.

Piccolina said:
This thread has been so fun to read through from start to where we're at now...I must say that while I don't drink coffee, if I want to splurge on calories it's gotta be Tim's for me! I had maple glazed and powdered jam filled fantasies while we were abroad. They just don't make 'em overseas like they do at Tim Hortons.

Someone told me awhile ago that there is no Dairy Queen in the States is that true? Likewise a burger and ice cream place that I've never seen north of the 49th is Sonic, are there any up here?

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there was a Dairy Queen in, or at least around, Champlain, N.Y., just across the boarder from my home town, in the area where I grew up.

I loved Dairy Queen, but I can't eat sweets any more, so I make my own ice cream using substitutes for the sweetener...

Hey, just reread this. There really are lots of places in the US that we don't have here. So many that were mentioned make me want to take a driving tour of the US just to try them out.

Steak and Shake? that sounds like fun.
Sonic? just want to see it cuz of the Simple Life. LOL
Togo's? pizza is good stuff!

Seems like Timmy's is the "Canadian" thing.

I just read this because I vaguely recalled the donut theme. I spent yesterday selling Krispy Kreme donuts as a fundraiser for my daughters ball team. Ugh.

I don't see why they're so highly thought of. They're just donuts. There aren't many in Canada, and in fact the nearest one to us is about 300kms away!

The only Canadian chain restaurant other than Tim Horton's that has managed to wander across the border in a few locations is Swiss Chalet. Excellent rotisserie chicken! They were very popular in Western New York when I lived there.

In the fast food arena, I remember a chain called The Red Barn that I used to frequent after playing hockey at the Stanford Arena. They were unique at the time in that they also carried hot dogs, but only in Canada. When they wandered over the border into the States, they only brought burgers with them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom