Canadian Thanksgiving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GW, do you have stuffed ham or any other maryland fare at your thanksgiving?

GW, do you have stuffed ham or any other maryland fare at your thanksgiving?

I'm afraid I'm a Yooper with a wife straight from Southern California. If we have something that is unique to us, it's mashed rutabaga with butter and brown sugar, and a turkey that's either barbecued or roasted in the oven until it's just the right temperature, which makes it exceptionally tender, and juicy. From my family traditions, we also have a jello salad of sorts, made in a ring mold that includes sour cream, lime jello, pineapple, and nuts, all buzzed together in a mixer until smooth. It is soooooo yummy. From my wife's family traditions we have smashed spuds, smooth and creamy, with lots of butter mashed in, and made with canned milk for a luxuriously smooth and rich texture and flavor. Sometimes I substitute cream for the canned milk. Pumpkin pie is a must, as is New York style cheesecake. Gotta have the bread dressing made with giblets, onions, egg, bread, sage, salt, thyme and all moistened with turkey broth. The gravy is made from the boiled necks and giblets, with the turkey drippings added. Season with salt, garlic, and onion. Thicken with a cornstarch slurry. Of course there is sweet potato casserole of some kind, and ants on a log, and deviled eggs, and pimento stuffed green olives, and ripe black olives that have been filled with squese cheese. I also make home made dinner rolls for the meal, to sop up all of that yummy gravy. In years past, I did so much cooking from the night before and through the next day, that invariably, after everyone had eaten, I'd fall asleep, at which time, my kids would do mean and terrible things to me, like stick things in my open mouth to stop me from snoring, or write on my forehead, etc. Now, they get to do the cooking, and when they are passed out on the couch, with their heads slung back, guess what I'm gonna do. Muhwahahaha.:LOL:

Most of all, I'm thankful that their are still good people in the world who can share their joy and friendship, no matter what side of the border, or what border they live within, and I'm not talking strictly about the U.S. and Canada, but about all of our friends, no matter what part of the world you live in.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Most of all, I'm thankful that their are still good people in the world who can share their joy and friendship, no matter what side of the border, or what border they live within, and I'm not talking strictly about the U.S. and Canada, but about all of our friends, no matter what part of the world you live in.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I share that sentiment. Thank you for wording it so beautifully. :)

Goodweed, you are so close to the Canadian border you might as well celebrate both Thanksgivings!

I have always considered GW an honourary Canuck! After all, he loves Balderson Cheddar!

Hey, I even know the first verse of the Canadian National Anthem (yeh, and hockey is my favorite sport to watch). And I have a good number of freinds on the Northern side of the ditch (that would be the St. Mary's River that runs between Sault Ste. Marie, MI, and Sault Ste. Marie, ONT).

And with all of the mispelled words I throw into my posts, I even spell like a Canuck! Ahhhahahaha (just kidding, but it was so fun to say).

L.P. I am truly honored. Thank you. But don't get me wrong, winning or losing, the Red Wings rule the ice, period!:D

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom