Careers in food other than being a chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Restuarant supply would be pretty much a 9-5, at least it is in the one that I'm familiar with. Check your newspaper classifieds, possibly they have a food, restaurant or other section that would give you either a job or an idea for a job.

marmalady said:
Why don't you do some 'sample' reviews of restaurants you've been to - or, the next time you go to a restaurant, pay attention to what you're being served, how you're being served, etc, and then just write a little piece here for us to "review''?
This is my favorite idea yet! This sounds like something I would be able to do and actually feel like I am doing something. Thanks for this suggestion Marm! This is something I am going to seriously consider!

I think food writing is a great idea and you don't need any degrees. there are lots of great food magazines out there that you might be able to sell to.

Or, What about writing your own cookbook? Not fast money, but you might do well with it.

You might also consider working in the cafeteria at a large company. The hours should be close to 9 to 5 there. My friend works at a company that has it's own cafeteria and I've eatten in there with her. The food was great, not just soup and sandwiches.

PS: This is the address of a great, free, foodwriting newsletter.
To subscribe: send email to
food-writing-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com To unsubscribe: send email to
food-writing-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Last edited:
RMS said:
You might also consider working in the cafeteria at a large company. The hours should be close to 9 to 5 there.
This is another great idea! The only problem with this is the pay, but I think I just have to accept the fact that if I do pursue this career change then my pay is going to suffer greatly. That might just be something I have to accept.

If I recall, you also enjoy photography? I remembered a story I saw or read -- A fellow took a picture of everything he ate (every meal and every snack everywhere he ate) for a year and published it in a book. :LOL: You just never know.

Thanks Mish. that is another great idea as a side project, but I need something with a steady paycheck and something I can do as a career for the rest of my working life. That would be a fun book to create though!

GB said:
This is my favorite idea yet! This sounds like something I would be able to do and actually feel like I am doing something. Thanks for this suggestion Marm! This is something I am going to seriously consider!

You're most welcome, GB - my little holiday present just for you! My DH is a professional writer, so if you want any tips/resources, etc from him, I know he'd be happy to share.

Another idea re food writing, is to not only do restaurant reviews, but just general food articles - ie, on 'latest trends', or local specialties, or hot cookware item reviews.

Look into being a personal chef! I think that's something where it would be easier to keep the hours down to something that was a bit more managable then being in the restaurant/catering business.

:heart:
Z

Luvs do you know what exactly a stylus does and what skills you need to be one?

How is school going by the way? Have you started yet or am I jumping the gun?

just saw your response to my msg. as i was going to get dinner. a stylist preps food for advertising, etc.
i'm not so very sure what goes into being a food stylist; just thinking, with your skill for cooking/photography, that seems to be something that you could look into.
school for me is next month, btw! thanks for asking!

I will have to look into that.

I can't wait to hear about your school experiences Luvs. I am so excited for you.

Food brokers are the companies a lot or maybe most commerical kitchens/restaurants buy their foods, supplies. Different compaines provide various ranges of products and services. So I am sure certain brokers would have a good range of job opportunities. Some brokers hold classes for food safety, have marketing, sales, delivery and etc. Could get you into a lot of restaurants and networking with folks in the industry, while paying the bills and getting a feel of what might really be a fit for you.

Sysco would be one of the big companies, US Foods.
There could be some smaller, local companies in your area, and those may also specialize in one area, i.e. produce, meat, chicken, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom