Carpet in the Kitchen and Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karenpepper

Assistant Cook
It is my own fault but I moved into an apartment that had carpeting in the kitchen. Believe me, the rest of the place is great. Here is my problem – I cook a lot and I have a bad habit of always knocking food on the floor. It was easy to clean up before – grab a broom and the floor was clean in two seconds. Now, it has become a hassle, and I am sad because I like to cook but this problem is making me not want to go in the kitchen.

oooh, carpet's bad in the kitchen. Could you stand to put some towels or newspaper down? Or get some carpet runners? Or try to be more careful?
You don't want to lose your security deposit.

those cheapo home depot self sticking tiles work well, if you can get your landlord to agree to pull up the carpeting (they could save it to re-install when you move out). so long as the sub-floor is fairly smooth and level, they are very easy to install. just a suggestion... :D

I would get plastic carpet protectors, either the runner type that you can cut to size, or the sort that you put under wheely chairs in offices and put them in the areas where you spill food the most (usually near the sink, stove and chopping/prep areas). You will then be able to just wipe up most spills as you would with a hard floor.

Paint.

Oh I remember when mom and dad had carpet in the kitchen when I was little. Mom had these long plastic runners ..... kind of like those clear plastic pieces you might have under your computer chair to protect your floor.

What I remember most is when she would sweep and have those dog gone things flipped over and I'd come running through there and those pointy things on the backside of the runner would be face up........talk about hurt. I think she may have done this on purpose to keep us from running through the house..........maybe this was her amusement through the day ;) I can just see her snickering :LOL:

I had carpet in a kitchen once and I totally hated it - and it was indoor/outdoor carpet so it was fairly easy to clean - but it was a pain!

Check to see if the carpet is "attached" to the floor in any way - glued, tacked or taped. Chances are, since it's an apartment, it might not be glued or tacked ... so you could roll it up and stick it in a closet somewhere.

If you can't do that ... or get the apartments to remove the carpet ... mudbug had a great idea, plastic carpet runners. It depends on what kind, and how big, of messes you make in the kitchen.

i'd get the vinyl mats. i have one so my floor so i can scooch my computer chair around and i always spill stuff on it. it can be cleaned in a minute or two with some cloth diapers (to sop up the spill) and a few disposable disinfectant wipes(to get rid of the stickies). i'd recommend cutting it into smaller lengths; that way if you spill something like flour, you can fold the length in half and dump it outside or in the john. or the trash, oops, forgot about that one, lol. BTW, if you drop an egg, pour lots of salt over it and leave it for awhile. it will clean up much more easily.

A carpet in the bedroom is OK.

A carpet in the kitchen is not only a disaster, it is a SELF IGNITING house fire waiting for an excuse to start.

Tell your landlord that if he does not remove it and replace with non inflamable, cleanable tiles, he will be reported for building and fire control offences.

AND if you have not yet been in two house fires, and wondered if you were gong to make it to ground level and breath again, then you have not lived. BUT do not accept this **** from your landlord.

KP it depends on the carpeting. I had that in-out type of carpeting once in my kitchen and everything wiped up great. That stuff is designed for easy cleanning and for kitchens and patios. If it is real good carpeting, bummer

ugh carpet in the kitchen

I agree with the plastic carpet protectors but I personally don’t like the way they look and often you have to nail them down (ugly). We have carpeting in our garage – I know, but you have carpet in your kitchen – and I bought a robotic vacuum called the Roomba. It cleans whenever there is dirt and I don’t have to operate it. This way when you drop food on the floor the Roomba will start and clean up your mess while you are still cleaning. Otherwise you will have to clean your spills on your hands and knees and no one deserves that punishment. Happy cooki :shock:

Wondering if I could put astro turf in mine. :) Maybe that would make clean up a snap?

Think I would use some vinyl tiles or ceramic ones. As darkstream mentioned, carpet can be a fire hazzard in the kitchen. Im sure if you explain to your landlord that your concerned about a fire hazzard, then he/she would be willing to switch. Perhaps you can install the tiles and take some money off the rent for doing the work. ;)

Re: ugh carpet in the kitchen

ApplePie said:
.... and I bought a robotic vacuum called the Roomba. It cleans whenever there is dirt and I don’t have to operate it. This way when you drop food on the floor the Roomba will start and clean up your mess while you are still cleaning. ....

I used to have something like that AP but it was a much older technology, it was called a dog. :oops:

Re: ugh carpet in the kitchen

ApplePie said:
I agree with the plastic carpet protectors but I personally don’t like the way they look and often you have to nail them down (ugly). We have carpeting in our garage – I know, but you have carpet in your kitchen – and I bought a robotic vacuum called the Roomba. It cleans whenever there is dirt and I don’t have to operate it. This way when you drop food on the floor the Roomba will start and clean up your mess while you are still cleaning. Otherwise you will have to clean your spills on your hands and knees and no one deserves that punishment. Happy cooki :shock:

Amber, I have a roomba too. Love that thing. You have to jump out the way when it's coming. It's supposed to save time, but I spend more time walking around watching it.

i know someone that had a roomba. the cat hated it. scared the crap out of him when he slept and it decided to clean the floor. so the cat threw up on it or pee'd on it or something, and fried the electronics. lol, smart cat...

buckytom said:
i know someone that had a roomba. the cat hated it. scared the crap out of him when he slept and it decided to clean the floor. so the cat threw up on it or pee'd on it or something, and fried the electronics. lol, smart cat...

ROFLMAO - I can just see the cat now ... stalking the "sleeping" Roomba!

I had a large carpeted kitchen once. I put the stuff in, and it was beautiful, but what a hassle to keep clean. I swore I'd never do it again. I now have tile and don't even want a throw rug in my prep area. I agree that if you can't have it removed/replaced, the plastic might be the solution.
Good point about fire hazard, that would never have occurred to me.

Would those robotic things run smoothly over the plastic runners?

Back
Top Bottom