Carving at the table or in the kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
On Thanksgiving, will you be taking the whole turkey to the table to carve or will you carve in the kitchen and have a platter of sliced meat at the table?

At my house we'll carve in the kitchen. There will be too much other food on the table to carve, plus, while we do a good job of carving we sure aren't "elegant" about it!

just make sure the toikey has rested, like 20 minutes, before you carve it sizz. if it's still to hot, the juices will run out and it will tear and shred rather than slice. remove a leg, thigh and a wing from one side, slicing thru the joints. then the breast will be easy to carve as it is somewhat protruding.

thanks for reminding me bucky cause I think my nerves are getting the best of me the closer we get and I completely forgot about letting it rest.

I figure we'll just all stand around and pick at it till the carcass is clean, no carving required!

Then we'll go sit down and have the side dishes...

John

We always carve in the kitchen. If we carved at the table, half the people would be eating dessert by the time the last of the turkey is served.

We do a buffet. The last time we did a formal sit down Thanksgiving dinner was in the early '80s when we had dinner for 4. It's pretty hard to do a formal dinner for 40 or more without hired help.

On TV they always show them carving the turkey at the table. We always thought we were the "odd" ones, since we have always carved it in the kitchen and served it on a platter. But I guess we were normal after all! LOL

:) Barbara

My father always carved the bird AT the table and that was always a tradition and something we always counted on - but now I just carve it in the kitchen. If it were carved at the table, and people saw how it was "woman-handled" they probably wouldn't eat it! :oops:

I do not know. My daughter and I have been invited to her future in-laws for dinner and his mother knows of my passion for cooking and said she would buy everything for the dinner if I would plan and prepare, so very flatteringly I said yes. She is Danish and her son is Canadian so do not know what traditions they use. They do celebrate a TG day in Canada but do not think they do in Denmark.

In the kitchen, by one of the guys - I just think it makes more sense - gives me some last minute time to get everything else assembled, and stuff's not getting cold while everyone is sitting around the table watching the 'carver' do their work!

My dad would always bring out the lovely browned bird, just to show.

And then take it back into the kitchen to be cut up.

A tradition that I kinda like and follow.

norgeskog, sounds like you have the opportunity to begin new traditions. You'll have to tell us what you ended up doing.

My family has always carved the bird in kitchen, as do I. So does my DW's family.

Of course, we do a "Family Style" dinner once a week at work, and sometimes that's a Turkey dinner, with a carving station. Big Tom Turkey's, about 10 of them, get carved up during that night.

I carve it in the kitchen. I have also cooked them the day before.....carved it and then heated it up in the oven. This makes for a very more relaxed day in the kitchen.

Another reason I prefer to carve in the kitchen is the cooks always put aside our favorite pieces. :P

Barbara L said:
On TV they always show them carving the turkey at the table. We always thought we were the "odd" ones, since we have always carved it in the kitchen and served it on a platter. But I guess we were normal after all! LOL

:) Barbara

I've always thought the same thing, Barbara! I'm not sure if this makes us "normal" though! ;)

Back
Top Bottom