"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Yes, the exam is for CIA. My math skills are great, english is up to standards, but my French is another thing, I don't do well in learning foreign languages but must try.
My plan is taking French 101 at a local college. What do you think?

Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

if this is an entrance or placement, not a prob cause they teach the courses you'll need for the BA in CUlinary arts. But a start ahead of time is always a good background and will make it easier later. do it.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice, that what I thought.

I can't go to school full time but do take on-line class and buy all Culinary Institute books, although I learn everything on-line, once I pass my exam, I will seek part-time employment to get on-hands training. My current training is almost industrial cooking for many people, the personal touch needed to be sucessful in a resturant is what I looking for. Not ****'s Kitchen episode, I'd probably walk out crying.

Any other advise for someone who can't afford to attend a real expensive culinary school.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenetea68
I can't go to school full time but do take on-line class and buy all Culinary Institute books, although I learn everything on-line, once I pass my exam, I will seek part-time employment to get on-hands training. My current training is almost industrial cooking for many people, the personal touch needed to be sucessful in a resturant is what I looking for. Not ****'s Kitchen episode, I'd probably walk out crying.

Any other advise for someone who can't afford to attend a real expensive culinary school.
It's much, much better and would be more beneficial for you to go to a cheaper culinary school and get the actual hands on experience rather than to learn from a book and then try to get experience later on, on the job. You're going to find that you will be VERY far behind and that you will have a huge learning curve to overcome.

Look at your local community colleges and see if any of them offer associate degress and/or certificates of completion in food service/culinary arts. If you can choose from more than one option, go to the school which is the more reputable. You'll find yourself much better prepared to then enter the workforce.
Working part time at a restaurant will help as well. Be prepared to start off as a dishwasher. If you show any type of aptitude in the kitchen, they'll move you up and/or give you more important tasks in no time.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #15
Executive Chef

CIA has much financial aid, also there are national scholarships for students seeking culinary training. Look into every option! good luck.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I agree with the comment about getting hands on instead of just reading. Cooking isn't just a science its also an art. you need to get involved with it.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Greentea, This just opened in Charleston, SC, and the programs they're offering are VERY reasonable - plus, Charleston is becoming an awesome 'foodie' town -

http://www.tridenttech.edu/culinary_...charleston.htm

Of course, you'd have to move here - enjoy lovely weather most of the year, beaches within walking distance, wonderful fresh produce outlets, cheaper economy, no shoveling snow-------