Chow Time for 7/7/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I will be cooking fresh Bucatinni with fresh steamed cut up quahogs and Ro-Tel tomatoes.

Cleaning those quahogs is a nasty job. I think from now on I am going to stick to just clams. Less work. :angel:

Sounds yummy, Addie. I have to cook the steelhead trout I meant to eat yesterday. Expecting a thunderstorm--hopefully that will break the humidity enough to tempt me to cook. I don't have much of an appetite when it is so frigging hot and humid.

So far we have not had any of the humidity. And I can live with that. But it is 79ºF. right now. And that is fine with me as long as we don't have the hummi-did-dit-tee. (childenese) :angel:

Tonight i'm making Hamburger Onion pie.

It's a delicious dinner with plenty of leftovers that tastes even better reheated another day, or even after freezing.

We've had the threat of rain flying by us to the west all afternoon. "Nice" and sticky outside, too, with 98% humidity outside my air conditioned home. I'll cook inside. Ham steaks seared in my CI pan, then joined by fresh green beans and a bit of water so they soak up some of that lovely smoked ham flavor. :yum: Fresh corn off the cob, too. And a using-up-some-greens salad before the main event.

Sounds good, Addie. Glad to see you participating in the daily dinner thread. Hope to see a pic of your great sounding dinner!

I'm going to have an Ortega burger. :yum: I saw them on the menu when we were out of town over the weekend, and it sparked my memory of how good they are. Fire roasted whole Ortega green chiles and a slice of Monterey jack cheese on a grilled burger, with tomato and sliced red onion on a toasted bun.

A very simple summer supper. Part of a green bell pepper sliced into rings and stacked. Fill the hole with cottage cheese and surround with cucumber slices and halved baby tomatoes for scooping and green and kalamata olives. Top with a minced scallion and a whole lot of black pepper. Big slice of watermelon and an icy beer mug of ice tea. I think I get double points -- no cooking involved.

Dinner on the deck tonight. Smoked poke chops with salsa roja and spicy oven roasted cauliflower. Served with a nice chilled sauvignon blanc we picked up in Santa Barbara last month.

img_1428333_0_bc6a1704d3857b94703305e187383b03.jpg

That looks delicious, Steve. What is the 'spice' in your oven roasted cauliflower? I love roast cauliflower, and yours looks like it has so much flavor. :yum:

That looks delicious, Steve. What is the 'spice' in your oven roasted cauliflower? I love roast cauliflower, and yours looks like it has so much flavor. :yum:
Thanks Cheryl!

The spice blend I use is:
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I just cut up a large head of cauliflower and toss it in 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with the spices. Then spread it on a baking sheet and roast in a 500F oven for about 20-25 minutes. I usually give it a stir about halfway through.

:yum: guys! Steve, I'll have to try your roasted cauli blend.

We went to a friend's restaurant, and since DH has been jonesin' for a nice thick chewy piece of fish, we split an order of Mahimahi with mango salsa and roasted cauliflower along with one of our favorite salads with candied walnuts and feta with balsamic dressing.

Oh that sounds good, Dawg. :yum:

Change of plans for tonight's dinner - I didn't have enough lump charcoal. :( The Ortega burger will have to wait till tomorrow. I ended up with a fried egg sandwich and cucumbers with ranch dressing.

What really had my mouth watering was Addie's fresh bucatini pasta and steamed clams. OMGosh - that sounds so good. I'd love to be able to get fresh clams here, but we're too far inland. How was your dinner, Addie? Please share! :yum:

Thanks Cheryl! I too am curious about Addie's meal, and the quahog clams. I don't think I've ever had them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom