Christmas 2018 menu plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was waiting for your menu. You always go above and beyond for holidays, but especially Christmas.

I make small amounts of many dishes so we have variety/assortment and not many leftovers.

Christmas Eve will be seven fried shrimp as my feeble nod to the Feast of the Seven Fishes and a side of cabbage salad.

Christmas dinner will be a scaled-down feast of ham, kielbasa, pierogies, maple glazed carrot coins, and cabbage salad.

Not sure about dessert, the good elf is whispering mixed berries with whipped cream and the bad elf is whispering pumpkin pie with whipped cream. The only thing that both elves seem to agree on is the whipped cream.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'll be doing my standard pulled pork in the smoker. Not sure about sides.

I dont think I'll do my traditional jalapeno poppers though. Maybe smoked Brussels sprouts and a cream cheese stuffed pepperoncini with smoked salmon appetizer.

Still have a few days to think about it. I have taken up baking, so some kind if gluten free baked good will be in there as well.

I tell myself every year to scale down, but I tend to enjoy it, and it's only a few times a year.

My mini turducken idea got shot down. Can't do a prime rib with the girls either. Maybe the meat place will still have the half ham joints they had last week. The girls do like their ham so could leave them all the leftovers since Craig and I still have a small package or 2 in the freezer from Easter, even after taking the girls a lot of it.

Christmas Dinner

With the Holiday right around the corner now, I thought it must be time for this thread. I have an 18.2 pound Black Angus prime rib roast (bought whole in vacuum sealed bag for $5.77/lb, half the regular price). I cut a 4 bone roast, then cut the other half into 3 parts and froze them for later reference. The price was too good to pass up, and once they open the bag, the sale price immediately goes up by $2/lb.

This Safeway gets whole semi loads of rib roasts each year at this time - the butcher said they got 71 cases the day before I bought this. It's a 50 mile drive one way, but I save $120 and I have 3 small roasts for my wife and me to do over the next few months (one of those sections that I froze might just be a really nice steak for me sometime when she goes to the mountains for one of her gambling excursions).

I'm cooking the roast using Kenji-Lopez's reverse sear method. With it we are having gratin potatoes, my wife is doing her delicious carrots, and that's about all we are doing formally. Dessert is a simple parfait with strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream.

We are having 7 people over plus the 2 of us, so the seating will be a bit tight at the table, but we can make it work.

Last edited:
I bought a boneless ribeye roast from Costco the other day. I will also do a reverse sear to medium/medium rare. I'm making lyonnaise potatoes. Each of my two daughters is making a veggie dish and an appetizer we have not shared before. Desserts will be SO's host of Christmas cookies and paklava.

When I bought my late mother's house three years ago I inherited a few things..one of them was the tradition of having the whole family come here for Christmas dinner..so, in keeping with this tradition I will continue to make the classic turkey dinner my mother always made, right down to using the same seasonings, home made white bread dinner rolls, jellied salads..etc..it is kind of a running joke, but everybody enjoys it as it is a once a year thing..As all of my siblings' kids are grown up and have settled far from home, nobody really ever goes through the trouble of making such a meal..Not so bad for me, because I've done it so many times I can do it with my giblets tied behind my back...not a lot of stress on the day..and, we usually do something else for thanks giving, like lamb or beef...

Last edited:
I started a Christmas 2018 dinner thread, but since our plans have changed drastically, I'll jump in on this one.

We were supposed to bring 4 kielbasis in a sauerkraut, onion, and potato casserole to my niece's house who is hosting along with her sister, but being remarkably lazy and manipulative millenials, they somehow convinced my wife to bake a large ham, along with bringing all of the bread (Polish rye, semolina, King's Hawaiian rolls) and a dessert.

My nieces said they will he "so busy" getting a salad together (dumped into a large bowl from a few bags), potato salads and coleslaw (bought from a store, dumped into serving bowls), making a lasagna, and getting the desserts ready (that everyone else brings).

I've had their lasagnas. Ain't nothing to write home about.

She and her sister are middle school teachers, so it's not like they don't have any free time.

Well, I guess two axioms ring true this holiday. People who can, do. People who can't do, teach.

And, it's really about being with your family.

I hope one of them has a boyfriend as a guest. :devilish:

Mwahahaaaa

While I was writing my post, I thought I had seen it someplace before..lol

Nice that you can vent about your family..I lack patience with some of my extended..even my immediate, but they get a pass..my sister is great for offering to bring stuff, but it is usually just picked up from a grocery store on her way..I do appreciate it but that really doesn't blow my skirt up..and my brother rarely cooks anything..he is great to offer, too..but don't bother..my youngest brother smokes so much pot that he cooks the crap out of everything until it is almost unrecognizable..I guess he just likes standing in front of the stove stirring things..lol...

Ahh, family...

Neither of my daughters has much interest in cooking. One isn’t interested at all and the other does some
cooking and experimentation. They’re happy with my doing it. So I ask them to bring stuff.

Neither of my daughters has much interest in cooking. One isn’t interested at all and the other does some
cooking and experimentation. They’re happy with my doing it. So I ask them to bring stuff.

I first read this to say staff. Who do I know that has enough money to bring a "staff" with them for a meal. Time for a vacation for me. :wacko: And I do think I deserve this "wacko".

For Christmas Day, we're having a small rib roast done with Kenji's reverse sear method. I'm going to salt it today and let it sit uncovered in the back fridge to dry. I'll make some sort of potatoes, roasted asparagus and yeast rolls to go with it.

Funny story [emoji38] I asked DH yesterday what he wanted for Christmas Eve dinner, since we don't have a traditional meal we always have. He said, isn't there some kind of mostly fish dinner that people have at Christmas?

You mean the Feast of the Seven Fishes, says I?

Yeah, he says excitedly. Let's do that! [emoji16]

Okay then! :ROFLMAO:

So this is our menu for tomorrow evening. Fortunately, some of it can be made in advance.

1. Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
2. Creamy Crab, Artichoke & Spinach Dip
3. Asian Seared Tuna Salad
4. Baked Fish with Garlic, Lemon & Garden Herbs and Rice Medley (we'll have to see what looks good)
5. Oysters Rockefeller
6. Moules Marinières (Mussels Steamed in White Wine-Butter-Garlic Sauce)
7. Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon (or Lobster) Bites - DH wants lobster, but I'm not a big fan. We'll see.

BT, I'd love to be with you to watch the dynamics of your family,lol.
My family we all get on well, no drama here. Just good vibes. I'm blessed.

Russ

Our "eve of" and "day of" plans have changed also..

Eve of is, generally, clam chowder and day of, standing rib roast..

We have decided to do the roast, also Kenji reverse sear, on eve of and do all of the munchie things on day of..

Hoping that will accomplish 2 things..
1) Have our biggest, most looked forward to meal without filling ourselves with snacks, etc., as we did on Thanksgiving.. :ermm:
2) Leave Christmas day for fun with all the cheese, cold meats, dips etc. We will have leftover roast if anyone wants as, we four will not eat all the 4 bone roast on Eve..
And pie.. We will, definitely have leftover pie.. :yum:

Ross

We are going to Jr's for Christmas Eve lunch (so the grands can have naps.) Like that's going to happen! I'm already chucking all the way to the bank on that one. Presents whenever later is. We're each bringing cookies and Dx is bringing a dessert too.

Christmas day starts late with dinner, games and a house full of people at BIL's. I'm bringing sliced gingered carrots and cookies.

Everyone's Christmas menus sound delicious. :yum:

This year it's just going to be my brother and I. My daughter, SIL, and Tyler are going to her dad's home in Arizona. I'm happy for them, and Tyler will love seeing his grandpa again. Older daughter lives in Valencia and they usually do Christmas dinner with her hubby's folks - we get together sometime in January. I think her firefighter husband is scheduled to work Christmas day, though.

Bro will be here around noon, and we'll have dinner about 2. We're having a picnic ham, salad, fresh green beans with pearl onions and slivered almonds, scalloped potatoes, and rolls. Peach pie for dessert.

Bucky's thread >>> Christmas 2018 menu plans

I have made a few changes since I posted original menu.

Christmas Eve Menu

Cold Shrimp Ring
Linguine with clams sauce
Fried Fillet of Flounder (Sole was unavailable where I shop)
Twice baked potatoes (added to menu)

Salad with Zesty salad dressing:
  • TJ's Sorrento salad greens
  • Black olives or Kalamata olives
  • Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dessert
Pumpkin Pie