"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 05:13 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Ross, I'm way past the stage of hangovers,lols. I love New Year's Eve, we celebrate it with family while on our holidays

Russ
Me also... We (my first wife and I) were party animals from our 20's to early 40's.. Fear of DUI put a stop to that..

Ross

Old 12-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I was waiting for your menu. You always go above and beyond for holidays, but especially Christmas.
I make small amounts of many dishes so we have variety/assortment and not many leftovers.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #23
Master Chef

Christmas Eve will be seven fried shrimp as my feeble nod to the Feast of the Seven Fishes and a side of cabbage salad.

Christmas dinner will be a scaled-down feast of ham, kielbasa, pierogies, maple glazed carrot coins, and cabbage salad.

Not sure about dessert, the good elf is whispering mixed berries with whipped cream and the bad elf is whispering pumpkin pie with whipped cream. The only thing that both elves seem to agree on is the whipped cream.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I'll be doing my standard pulled pork in the smoker. Not sure about sides.

I dont think I'll do my traditional jalapeno poppers though. Maybe smoked Brussels sprouts and a cream cheese stuffed pepperoncini with smoked salmon appetizer.

Still have a few days to think about it. I have taken up baking, so some kind if gluten free baked good will be in there as well.

I tell myself every year to scale down, but I tend to enjoy it, and it's only a few times a year.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #25
Executive Chef

My mini turducken idea got shot down. Can't do a prime rib with the girls either. Maybe the meat place will still have the half ham joints they had last week. The girls do like their ham so could leave them all the leftovers since Craig and I still have a small package or 2 in the freezer from Easter, even after taking the girls a lot of it.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Christmas Dinner

With the Holiday right around the corner now, I thought it must be time for this thread. I have an 18.2 pound Black Angus prime rib roast (bought whole in vacuum sealed bag for $5.77/lb, half the regular price). I cut a 4 bone roast, then cut the other half into 3 parts and froze them for later reference. The price was too good to pass up, and once they open the bag, the sale price immediately goes up by $2/lb.

This Safeway gets whole semi loads of rib roasts each year at this time - the butcher said they got 71 cases the day before I bought this. It's a 50 mile drive one way, but I save $120 and I have 3 small roasts for my wife and me to do over the next few months (one of those sections that I froze might just be a really nice steak for me sometime when she goes to the mountains for one of her gambling excursions).

I'm cooking the roast using Kenji-Lopez's reverse sear method. With it we are having gratin potatoes, my wife is doing her delicious carrots, and that's about all we are doing formally. Dessert is a simple parfait with strawberries, blueberries and whipped cream.

We are having 7 people over plus the 2 of us, so the seating will be a bit tight at the table, but we can make it work.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

I bought a boneless ribeye roast from Costco the other day. I will also do a reverse sear to medium/medium rare. I'm making lyonnaise potatoes. Each of my two daughters is making a veggie dish and an appetizer we have not shared before. Desserts will be SO's host of Christmas cookies and paklava.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #28
Master Chef

When I bought my late mother's house three years ago I inherited a few things..one of them was the tradition of having the whole family come here for Christmas dinner..so, in keeping with this tradition I will continue to make the classic turkey dinner my mother always made, right down to using the same seasonings, home made white bread dinner rolls, jellied salads..etc..it is kind of a running joke, but everybody enjoys it as it is a once a year thing..As all of my siblings' kids are grown up and have settled far from home, nobody really ever goes through the trouble of making such a meal..Not so bad for me, because I've done it so many times I can do it with my giblets tied behind my back...not a lot of stress on the day..and, we usually do something else for thanks giving, like lamb or beef...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

X'mas Eve rib roast on the Weber.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I started a Christmas 2018 dinner thread, but since our plans have changed drastically, I'll jump in on this one.

We were supposed to bring 4 kielbasis in a sauerkraut, onion, and potato casserole to my niece's house who is hosting along with her sister, but being remarkably lazy and manipulative millenials, they somehow convinced my wife to bake a large ham, along with bringing all of the bread (Polish rye, semolina, King's Hawaiian rolls) and a dessert.

My nieces said they will he "so busy" getting a salad together (dumped into a large bowl from a few bags), potato salads and coleslaw (bought from a store, dumped into serving bowls), making a lasagna, and getting the desserts ready (that everyone else brings).

I've had their lasagnas. Ain't nothing to write home about.

She and her sister are middle school teachers, so it's not like they don't have any free time.

Well, I guess two axioms ring true this holiday. People who can, do. People who can't do, teach.

And, it's really about being with your family.

I hope one of them has a boyfriend as a guest.

Mwahahaaaa

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, dinner, menu