Christmas 2018 menu plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Is anyone working on their Christmas eve or day menu plans?

We just found out that we're going to one of my niece's houses, so we're only bringing a few things. Dw will be making a casserole of 4 kielbasis, sauerkraut, onions, and potatoes. She will probably also make an apple pie.

I will stop off at the bakery in our old neighborhood for rye and semolina breads, Polish cream cheese pastries, and another Polish pastry called The Seven Sisters. Probably 2 of everything.

What are you planning for Christmas meals?

Last edited:
I'll be cooking a boneless ribeye roast by the reverse sear method and lyonnaise potatoes. We'll have some veggies my daughters will bring. I'm going to ask them each to bring a new appetizer (to get them out of their ruts).

When I bought my mother's house almost three years ago, I inherited the tradition of having people come here on xmas day..so, in keeping with this tradition, I usually go with the classic turkey dinner..I try to copy my mother's recipes and everybody enjoys it because it is a once a year thing..even down to the lime/carrot chiffon salad. People laugh, but it gets eaten..

Our family will be going to my older son's house again this year. The SC and I will again be taking 4 roasted ducks we'll cook here at home and others will fill in the menu. The recipe for them is a real winner and I'd be glad to post it for anyone interested.

Our Christmas dinner will be at daughter & sil's home.. Just the 4 of us..

While exchanging gifts, we will start off with an antipasto plate, a couple of dips, cracker and chips..

We will have a 4 bone (leftovers and no fighting for the bones) standing rib roast.

Standard sides of potatoes, a couple of veggies (potato type and veggies yet to be determined) green salad and, of course, yeast rolls..

A couple of different pies for later..

Ross

I've cooked Xmas lunch for last 25 years, ours always is
Roast leg of lamb
Roast turkey breast with stuffing.
Picklied pork with apple sauce
Roast potatoes, parsnip,pumpkin,kumara
New potatoes from garden.
Peas from garden.
Home made gravy.

Trifle for dessert.

Russ

I heard from my niece that we'll be having a spiral sliced ham, and my sister's lasagana besides the kielbasis. Plus a lot of other stuff.

I'm glad for the kielbasi and lasagna. I find people often overcook and overglaze spiral sliced hams.

Lets find the thread for 2017 Christmas and I copy it. I am doing the standard Swedish Christmas food.
Which is mustard coated ham, meatballs, isterband ( local sausage), some other type of frying sausage, broth to dipp bread in, bread , boiling sausage, ribs, brawn, liver pate, cold cut sausages, 3 types of cheese, picked herring, oven roasted brussel sprouts, red cabbage salad and a potato bake.

You mericans do lunch differently to us, we also do like you guys do a hot glazed ham, but that's not til New Year's Eve.
I love Xmas day.

Russ

We'll more than likely do Christmas wirh the DD and DD'S either the weekend before or after. Other than a buche de Noel, no.idea. I have been thinking about doing mini turduckens with deboned turkey legs, duck thighs and chicken thighs but I'll have to run that by DD. The things the girls will eat seem to change on a weekly basis. The oldest one, 15, has decided she no longer likes chocolate as her latest.

Pretty much the same as usual for Christmas dinner. Turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Christmas.

I'm not a big fan of spiral ham, so I usually get a bone in 'picnic' ham. Sides will be scalloped potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and rolls. Oh, and pie.

It's a week long process of grazing. We'll have a half dozen sweets, some beef or venison, some shrimp dishes, something that clucks, a half dozen vegetable dishes, a vegetable/pickle/olive tray, appetizers. Someone will pick up some pickled herring, someone else picks up pizza. It's a week marathon of eating.

Christmas Eve Menu

Cold Shrimp Ring
Linguine with clams sauce
Fried Fillet of Sole

Salad with Zesty salad dressing:
  • TJ's Sorrento salad greens
  • Black olives or Kalamata olives
  • Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dessert
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

Christmas Day Menu

Cheese, Meat & Fruit Platter:
  • Smoked Gouda
  • TJ's Smoked Cheese
  • Gouda
  • Muenster
  • Cheddar
  • Mild (Sweet) Sopressata
  • Pepperoni
  • Black olives
  • Green olives
  • Red Grapes
Townhouse Crackers
Triscuits Crackers

• Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dinner
Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Mashed potatoes w/ShopRite Cream cheese spread - onion chive
Baby spinach
Orange glaze Carrots
Mini Yorkshire Puddings

Dessert
Apple Pie
Whipped Cream

Last edited:
Christmas Eve Menu

Cold Shrimp Ring
Linguine with clams sauce
Fried Fillet of Sole

• Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dessert
Pumpkin Pie
Whipped cream

Christmas Day Menu

Cheese, Meat & Fruit Platter:
  • Smoked Gouda
  • TJ's Smoked Cheese
  • Gouda
  • Muenster
  • Cheddar
  • Mild (Sweet) Sopressata
  • Pepperoni
  • Black olives
  • Green olives
  • Red Grapes
Townhouse Crackers
Triscuits Crackers

• Green olives
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Stuffed grape leaves
  • Garlic Bread Sticks
Dinner
Eye round roast
Burgundy gravy
Mashed potatoes w/ShopRite Cream cheese spread - onion chive
Baby spinach
Orange glaze Carrots
Mini Yorkshire Puddings

Dessert
Apple Pie
Whipped Cream

I was waiting for your menu. You always go above and beyond for holidays, but especially Christmas.

We are hoping to be at the mummy-in-law's place. She usually does turkey, mashed potatoes, roast vegis, crudités & dip, cranberry sauce, and gravy. I forgot to mention the Brussels sprouts. I don't remember if she steams or boils them. Whichever, they aren't overcooked, so I enjoy them.

Last edited:
I looove roast turkey and the trimmings. I probably have a hot open turkey with gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce about every fortnight or so.

Ross, I'm way past the stage of hangovers,lols. I love New Year's Eve, we celebrate it with family while on our holidays

Russ

...The SC and I will again be taking 4 roasted ducks ...
Shouldn't that be 4 calling birds? :huh:

When much, much younger, New Years Eve, for my first wife and myself, was greasy bacon and eggs to prevent hangovers...
My uncle used to consume either a full cup of whipping cream OR a 1/4 pound of butter before going out. Swore it coated his stomach and he stayed sober. I doubt it, since they never showed up at Mom and Dad's until about the 6th of January. :LOL:

Not sure what's going on for Christmas this year. We are headed to OH, but whether or not it's just the four of us or we're headed to another home, I'll find out when we land at Loverly's. IF we have it at her place and it's just the 4 of us, I'll make some sort of beef roast with potatoes, two veggies (what looks good when I shop), and sauteed mushrooms out the wazoo. One year I made these mushrooms with lemon juice and toasted bread crumbs and bacon, onion, garlic... and OH MY were they good! :yum:

I think Christmas will pass unnoticed here. Mark’s birthday is the day after, so I’m gonna try to focus on that. But I think he’d really enjoy going to a diner! We have couple that are quite good and close by.

For NYE, I’d like to sous vide a couple of petit filets, and do invidual beef Wellingtons. Then maybe some snow crab legs with clarified butter and I’ll make some rolls. Mark likes Caesar salad and so do I. I saw that romaine is back, so a Caesar salad, and some black-eyed peas for luck in the new year.

All of this is contingent on what’s in the bank, of course!

Back
Top Bottom