Christmas Cookie dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I have been busier than ususal this holiday season and have yet to begin the cookie baking. In an effort to streamline the process and maybe cut down on the number of different cookie recipes to make, I asked my family to pick one kind each and I would make it. Sounds like a good plan - yes?

No.

They each picked and there are no traditional holiday type cookies on the list.

So far I have 2 requests for peanut butter, 1 for toll house, and 1 for Chocolate butterscotch drops.

Question: I have agreed to participate in a cookie exchange in a day. If I decorate peanut butter cookies can I call them Christmas cookies?

I have been busier than ususal this holiday season and have yet to begin the cookie baking. In an effort to streamline the process and maybe cut down on the number of different cookie recipes to make, I asked my family to pick one kind each and I would make it. Sounds like a good plan - yes?

No.

They each picked and there are no traditional holiday type cookies on the list.

So far I have 2 requests for peanut butter, 1 for toll house, and 1 for Chocolate butterscotch drops.

Question: I have agreed to participate in a cookie exchange in a day. If I decorate peanut butter cookies can I call them Christmas cookies?

Yes, those would be reindeer treats, they LOVE peanut butter.

Divide the dough of the for the toll house and add red food coloring to one half and green to the other. Instant Christmas cookies! :)

I don't know chocolate butterscotch drops, so I can help with those.

I got it, Janet....make peanut butter cookies, add a few chocolate chips, and stick a butterscotch drop on the top...lol. what is a butterscotch drop?

I like to put orginals mixed in with christmas ones, as I find some people aren't into fancy ones. They are usually the first ones gone. Last year I took to a get together mini chocolate chips, peanut butter, and brownies(frosted with sprinkles) all were gone before the fancy christmas were barely touched.

Oh no! Hope this helps: here's the simplest and best recipe I've found for peanut butter cookies (increase recipe size as needed of course):
1 c. peanut butter
1 egg
3/4 c. sugar
small handful of flour (2-3 Tbsp)
Mix all ingredients, roll and fork-press small cookies (heaping-tsp-size)--you can place close together; they don't spread--bake 10-12 min. @ 350F.

I had a stack of recipe cards with all the different things I like to make and a few that I wanted to try. I asked them to choose from the stack. They came up with 2 new cookies and one standard cookie, one bar recipe and one "NEW" standard. (I had made the "NEW" ones recently to try a recipe and they were a hit so I haven't been making them long enough to be standard and they aren't really new, untried recipes either.) We tend to think of Christmas cookies as those cut out sugar cookies, decorated and fancy things. Cookies of any kind are wonderful and the more diverse the selection the better. If you wanted, you could do press cookies with colored dough in Christmas shapes that will be more Christmas-y in place of one of the peanut butter recipes.

I've always thought of Toll House Cookies as Christmas cookies. It's the only time I ever made them.

I've always thought of Toll House Cookies as Christmas cookies. It's the only time I ever made them.

LOL. Thanks for the good perspective.

Usually we have almond crescents, decorated cookie press sugar cookies, Spiced things like Pepparkator and oatmeal raisin

Or you could look at it this way, they are making it easier on you! Drop cookies are quick!

You could give them in a festive tin or display them on a festive plate.

I am keeping it simple myself this year, just some gingersnaps and spritz.

are you sure you are not delirious from your cold? lol.:LOL: only once a year! i can't resist making them all through the year.

Only once a year, and it was many, many years ago.

I tried making cookies again, a few years ago (to please someone else), but couldn't get many to come out right so I gave up. I buy store bought when I'm in the mood, which isn't often.

About every other month or three I'll get a brownie mix or make a pan of fudge. I share those with neighbors to keep from eating it all myself.

I like sweets all right, but I don't want them around all the time. I'm overweight enough as it is.

Last edited:
Can I vote? Sugar Cookies and Rice Krispie green wreaths with red hots for berries send me a dozen if I win of each :) Please:chef:

Back
Top Bottom