Christmas Day dinner..2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
Thought I'd get this started early since I'm on the left coast. Dinner will be about 3:00 our time for this family. Four ducks are now in our oven to be finished at my son's house, 20 minutes away. I'll tell you the details at the end of the day.

What's on your plate this Christmas?

Dinner for us here in the middle of the desert will be leftovers from last night... I still cook as if I were feeding 4-5 people or more :stuart:

005.JPG
Cucumber Maki Sushi

007.JPG
Imitation Krab Cocktail

008.JPG
Shrimp Cocktail

009.JPG
Smoked Trout and Radish Crostata

010.JPG
Limu Ahi Poke

011.JPG
Shoyu Ahi Poke

012.JPG
Lomi Lomi Salmon

014.jpg
TJ's Mini Pizza with Anchovies

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 164
REALLY?! Dawg, which ones? ... and I'm honored, thanks :blush:

Um, all of them! We've been to Maui and Kauai a number of times!

Dinner party with friends tonight, thinking there may be ham involved, probably with some other stuff.

Last edited:
I have a prime rib in the oven and a hasselback potato casserole in the toaster oven. We'll also have sautéed asparagus drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar.

I made a flourless chocolate cake. Still need to make the ganache and raspberry toppings. Luckily, since it's just me and DH, there's no schedule to stick to ;)

Started the day with a veggie fritatta, and then off for a bike ride (never been able to do this on Christmas day before, as we're having record high temperatures). Daughter, SIL, and BIL were over for our traditional Christmas paella, along with dutch oven olive oil and rosemary bread. I've been doing the paella for decades, and can't remember how this tradition started, but can't change it at this point.

I cooked a ham, buttermilk biscuits, eggnog, and green chile cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. Friends brought green beans with caramelized onions, fruit salad, wine, green salad and chocolate ball things. It was a special event. Two of the friends were celebrating their first Christmas as a single person and really appreciated being included to eat with DH and me.

I have a prime rib in the oven and a hasselback potato casserole in the toaster oven. We'll also have sautéed asparagus drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar.

I made a flourless chocolate cake. Still need to make the ganache and raspberry toppings. Luckily, since it's just me and DH, there's no schedule to stick to ;)

So very good. :yum:

Attachments

• 1451092906830.jpg
    1451092906830.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 1451092920062.jpg
    1451092920062.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 1451092932626.jpg
    1451092932626.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 1451092948007.jpg
    1451092948007.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 235
A whole lot of hoopla and dinner was a blast. BIL made two turkeys and someone brought ham. This year the dressing and gravy were perfect and no lumps in the mash potatoes. Also enough veggie dishes this year. Last year was a bit short at the end of the line. BIL needs a bigger dessert table, although we somehow put a big dent in everything.

The little kids were happy and nice all day despite being off nap schedules and probably hyped up on sugar. And cute, dressed in their Christmas best.

Wow, fabulous looking dinners, everyone! I completely forgot to take a pic of our delicious spread. :huh: Dinner was at my daughter's house a mile away, and there were 6 adults and 2 kiddos.

We enjoyed a great dinner of ham, parmesan roasted baby Yukon golds, roasted yams drizzled with a glaze of butter, brown sugar, and orange juice (those were AMAZING), a medley of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, deviled eggs, and garlic cheddar biscuits. Apple cake with French vanilla ice cream for dessert. :yum:

I have a date with my recliner about now. :sleep: :LOL:

We had a boneless ribeye roast rubbed with rosemary and garlic, lyonnaise potatoes, roasted squash, parsnips, mushrooms and onions.

Dessert was a delightful assortment of cookies, pumpkin roll and kadief, a dessert similar to paklava made with shredded filo.

Last edited:
Mr. Kgirl......that spread from your honey would sure be welcomed here, and by everyone I know!

I apologize there's no pictures of our ducks all in a row, as we adults were too enthralled with our little two year old elf, and she was worth all the attention, as the first little one in our family for many, many years. What a charmer, with the now adult cousins, and she loves duck!
The SousChef and I were so happy the family loved the four ducks we prepared and transported for the family feast, and the delicious sides that others prepared made for a memorable meal shared with those we love.
What a wonderful Christmas!!:heart:

Last edited:
K-Girl, why would anyone NOT eat those? They all look great...
It's all lovely, but I'll enjoy it with my eyes only. Try as I might, I just cannot enjoy "raw" fish, and Maki Sushi style rolls leave underwhelmed. I'm the odd duck in our family, since Himself and our two kids love all types of sushi or sashimi.

Started the day with a veggie fritatta, and then off for a bike ride...
It was pushing 70 degrees in parts of north-east Ohio on Thursday, prompting our son to ride his bike to his sister's 17 miles away (where we stay when we come in to visit) in lieu of us driving up to get him. (He wants nothing to do with cars, using only bike, feet and, sometimes, public transportation.)

Since the lasagna was ready for the oven, the garlic bread was quick to do, and salads take only as long as how many extras you want to prep, so I figured I'd make a pumpkin pie. Wow, did I miss my kitchen and all of my gear when trying to put it together. Baking isn't high on Loverly's to-do list. ;) I persevered, and got a pie into the oven early enough to make sure it was out to cool before the lasagnas had to go in.

We enjoyed super salads, lasagna, and pie. Well, I had pie. No one else had room! :LOL: However, I know what is on most of the breakfast plates come morning...

Attachments

• 2015-12-25 19.12.26.jpg
    2015-12-25 19.12.26.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 2015-12-25 17.37.28.jpg
    2015-12-25 17.37.28.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 218
Kgirl, lovely looking dishes. I'd eat the sushi, both pokes and the shrimp. Not much for salmon or smoked fish of any kind but that's just me. Not fond of imitation Krab either. But, again, they do look beautiful.

Oh, ETA our dinner. Prime rib, mushroom bread pudding, roasted fingerling potatoes and made from scratch green bean casserole.

I actually finally decided to make what little cookies/candy I was going to do this year yesterday morning: Bourbon balls (candy type), macadamia/white chocolate chip cookies, and snowballs (butter cookie with pecans rolled in 10x sugar). So those were dessert.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom