Christmas Day Meal - 25 December 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are having our Christmas dinner at 2 today. Everyone wanted turkey so that is the main course - with cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, fresh green beans, roast asparagus, cranberry relish, ambrosia, rolls. We already have a lemon meringue pie (the first one I've ever made from scratch) pumpkin pie, fruitcake squares, and various and sundry cookies. I'll need a nap, but won't get one.Dd is bringing another dessert - unknown to me at this time.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I'm so thankful we have a good reason to celebrate this day.

MMMMMmmmmmm. That sounds so good. I only got to eat one small drumstick this season. I sure hope there's turkey on sale now. I need turkey. Just the amount of meals with that wonderful strong turkey flavor will make me happy. For that I will make scratch stuffing ala Betty Crocker any day.

Standing rib roast, English roast potatoes with plenty of gravy, Brussels sprouts casserole with pancetta, gruyere, shallots, white wine & herbs, and assorted mushroom bread pudding with parmigiano reggiano, and Boston cream pie for dessert.

Brunch: Blueberry & Sour Cream Scones with butter, OJ and Coffee.

Big meal: Pork Tamales with red chili sauce, Spanish Rice and Refries.

Dessert: Shortbread cookies with Lemon Curd.

Beverages: Blackberry wine, Rum (for me), Macallan 18 year old Scotch for Shrek...various other sodas, coffee etc. until we feel the need for the booze.

Sounds yummy. Would you please share your recipe for lemon curd?

Sounds yummy. Would you please share your recipe for lemon curd?

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.

Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

I don't strain it...too lazy!:LOL:

Sandwich for me and pizza for DH from an airport restaurant ... Missed our flight, getting in to the in-laws too late for dinner on the next one :(.

Sandwich for me and pizza for DH from an airport restaurant ... Missed our flight, getting in to the in-laws too late for dinner on the next one :(.

Dang! Sorry, but at least you are together! Airport Christmas!

I had a convenience store Christmas one year...got to meet Hoyt Axton for the first time! I was the only place open for milk and eggs:LOL:

Oops, forgot to post dinner. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes (probably mashed), broccoli wild rice casserole, some cooked veggie, Dad's coleslaw, and a plateful of treats for dessert. I also have a chocolate ganache tart with whipped cream and caramel sauce. Sparkly drinks to go with. Then a nap.

Dang! Sorry, but at least you are together! Airport Christmas!

I had a convenience store Christmas one year...got to meet Hoyt Axton for the first time! I was the only place open for milk and eggs:LOL:
I love Hoyt Axton. Hey wrote (I don't think he sings it. my 45 has been buried for years) a cb song called white knight about a cop that tricks a guy into speeding. I love that song and have it on 45 vinyl but I can't find the lyrics anywhere online.

"I'M SINGIIING!!! I'M IN A STORE AND I'M SINGIIING" :ROFLMAO:
That movie is a big hit around here. All year, actually.

Love that movie. " Watch those yellow ones..they don't stop" ( Points to the Taxi's)

And Christmas story. My kids tell me I sound just like Ralphie's Mom. RALPHIE!!!? ...RANDY!!!??
ON THE DOUBLE!!!

Look at me I'm blowing it like Ralphie..
Dinner is a help yourself to left over Prime Rib.
Neighbor lady came through with her delish Tamales.
Hubby slept right through the doorbell. He's sorry..

Merry Christmas everyone :)

Munky.

Oops, forgot to post dinner. Turkey, stuffing, potatoes (probably mashed), broccoli wild rice casserole, some cooked veggie, Dad's coleslaw, and a plateful of treats for dessert. I also have a chocolate ganache tart with whipped cream and caramel sauce. Sparkly drinks to go with. Then a nap.

Of course, mashed. With that pan gravy? Besides you'll need some gravy for the stuffing. Mmmm I'm drooling on the keyboard again, Alix.

So are you having Christmas Dinner, Christmas Lunch or Christmas Brunch?

What's on your table today?

We are having a Christmas Lunch around 2 this afternoon. Baked Ham (brown sugar, honey, spices), scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, snap peas, carrots, rolls.

Chinese food.

Leftover prime rib here, too. I'll give it a couple flips on a hot grill and also cook some pan seared scallops, green beans and a grilled potato.

Chinese food.

This sounds like a spectacular idea!

Today I have been cranking out the vittles! So far:

:chef: Blueberry pancakes, bacon, creme fraiche and fruit

:chef::chef: Turkey noodle soup (home made) Croque monsieurs by the sackful, peach pie and more fruit

:chef::chef::chef: Tonight (not yet made) Cheese souffle, mussels, Steamed veggies, grilled tomatoes and french bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom