Christmas Day Meal - 25 December 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Hoyt Axton. Hey wrote (I don't think he sings it. my 45 has been buried for years) a cb song called white knight about a cop that tricks a guy into speeding. I love that song and have it on 45 vinyl but I can't find the lyrics anywhere online.

Shrek and I searched, the closest we came was "Speed Trap," but I don't think it's the song you are looking for. Couldn't find "White Knight" anywhere, not even on our albums.

We had lunch with Hoyt, a few times, he was a most generous man. My Mom was mad I didn't keep the check he wrote...I told her I don't do "fan" very well. He liked us because we treated him like a friend and not a star.:)

We had planned to do a ham as usual but events conspired. So we had a five legged roast chicken with mashed and gravy, stuffing and cranberries, steamed cruciferous veggies and corn fritters(for my brother). We had shrimp cocktail for starters and apple pie for dessert. Not to mention the egg nog. All in all it should have been a totally satisfying feast but by the time I sat down to eat I had had eggnog and a fritter and a full glass of water and all I could eat was a couple of bites of chicken and some cranberry sauce. Oh well, there are tons of leftovers. Thank Heaven for cold weather. cause there is just no room in the fridge. It'll all have to be stored in the deck room.

Last edited:
We had planned to do a ham as usual but events conspired. So we had a five legged roast chicken with mashed and gravy, stuffing and cranberries, steamed cruciferous veggies and corn fritters(for my brother). We had shrimp cocktail for starters and apple pie for dessert. Not to mention the egg nog. All in all it should have been a totally satisfying feast but by the time I sat down to eat I had had eggnog and a fritter and a full glass of water and all I could eat was a couple of bites of chicken and some cranberry sauce. Oh well, there are tons of leftovers. Thank Heaven for cold weather. cause there is just no room in the fridge. It'll all have to be stored in the deck room.

What is a five legged chicken roast?

had a lovely brunch at my granddaughters with all the family. got to watch all my great grand babies open their gifts. we had sausage casserole that i made two of. sticky buns.assorted bread, cheese and she had a ham. beautiful fruit plate. i came home at noon, and brought a small plate with me. had a good nap. i think will wait til tomorrow for my own little christmas traditional type dinner. everyone got wonderful goodies and plenty of food.

Christmas Dinner

img_951427_0_b2a0c4003893af8fba21e33563095d58.jpg

img_951427_1_47d524e545a5d1426b82f3e8b80f8d48.jpg

Eye round roast

img_951427_2_da36f71812f5fbee3d170bd668fd8059.jpg

Roast beef & burgundy gravy, mashed red & Yukon potatoes (butter, sour cream), steamed cauliflower and garlic bread.

img_951427_3_18690dd5fb6b13c7ff467a6f99099ef6.jpg

Cheesecake with cherry topping (picture from last night)

img_951427_4_e196915da695c6991b0ae79ebcfe5b1c.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Smacking chops, ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Full belly snore ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Last edited:
I had dinner at my son's house. He soloed Christmas dinner(well most of it). He did a great job!!!! Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Gravy, Yeast Rolls and MY Sweet Potato Casserole. Dessert was Mint Brownies and Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake contributed by his ex-wife.

Yesterday's Christmas lunch was ham, broccoli casserole (the old-fashioned calorie-laden, mushroom soup, mayo, grated cheese with crushed cheese crackers on top of broccoli recipe), oven-roasted white & sweet potato wedges, spinach sauteed in a teeny bit of bacon grease, sweet & dill pickles, warm rolls. For dessert, Alix's lemon cake, with little melon-baller scoops of lemon curd (from a jar :blush: - have copied PF's recipe to use next time) on top, with a sprig of mint. An ice-water toast to friends and family, both scattered across the USA and those no longer with us. Son and DIL won't even look at alcohol if they'll be driving. After they waved good-bye I had a nice glass of reisling, and I'm sure they relaxed with a glass in hand once they got back home.

I'm already looking forward to New Year's, to try that pork roast covered in latticed bacon - hope to achieve something approaching the photos on DC a few weeks back. Sorry, I don't remember whose little beauty that was.

Yesterday's Christmas lunch was ham, broccoli casserole (the old-fashioned calorie-laden, mushroom soup, mayo, grated cheese with crushed cheese crackers on top of broccoli recipe), oven-roasted white & sweet potato wedges, spinach sauteed in a teeny bit of bacon grease, sweet & dill pickles, warm rolls. For dessert, Alix's lemon cake, with little melon-baller scoops of lemon curd (from a jar :blush: - have copied PF's recipe to use next time) on top, with a sprig of mint. An ice-water toast to friends and family, both scattered across the USA and those no longer with us. Son and DIL won't even look at alcohol if they'll be driving. After they waved good-bye I had a nice glass of reisling, and I'm sure they relaxed with a glass in hand once they got back home.

I'm already looking forward to New Year's, to try that pork roast covered in latticed bacon - hope to achieve something approaching the photos on DC a few weeks back. Sorry, I don't remember whose little beauty that was.

I love that broccoli casserole recipe. My aunt makes it every year. I can indulge around the holidays.

Back
Top Bottom