Christmas Day Meal - 25 December 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Off subject:
PF and MsM........here's some Hoyt Axton personal trivia.

Many many moons ago when I was in college I was part owner of a "Coffee House". :cool: A bunch of us kids pooled our money and purchased an old broken down house on Main St. We all worked our young butts off turning it into a really cool weekend night spot serving various coffee concoctions (we were long before Starbucks). We also served hand crafted sandwiches and sweets. One of us, (don't remember who) hired this unknown entertainer one weekend. This guy packed the place he was so good. I'll never forget him sitting on that stool with his guitar, and belting out his yet unrecorded song "Green Back Dollar". Yep, I knew Hoyt Axton, before he was Hoyt Axton. :mrgreen:
YouTube - Hoyt Axton - Greenback Dollar Video

Last edited:
Off subject:
PF and MsM........here's some Hoyt Axton personal trivia.

Many many moons ago when I was in college I was part owner of a "Coffee House". :cool: A bunch of us kids pooled our money and purchased an old broken down house on Main St. We all worked our young butts off turning it into a really cool weekend night spot serving various coffee concoctions (we were long before Starbucks). We also served hand crafted sandwiches and sweets. One of us, (don't remember who) hired this unknown entertainer one weekend. This guy packed the place he was so good. I'll never forget him sitting on that stool with his guitar, and belting out his yet unrecorded song "Green Back Dollar". Yep, I knew Hoyt Axton, before he was Hoyt Axton. :mrgreen:
YouTube - Hoyt Axton - Greenback Dollar Video

That is so cool! He was a very kind man, I know that if I had asked him for an autograph for Mom he would have given it to me, but I didn't want him to feel uncomfortable around us. It was sad watching him walk into a restaurant for lunch and everyone crowding around him, the poor man couldn't eat in peace. When he would sneak in the back and we were there, we'd make room for him and others wouldn't notice him. I twas great to sit and have a meal, talking about everything.

This all sounds yum, even though it was only a few days ago I could eat it all again. We had parma ham wrapped in mozzerella to start followed by roast turkey, roast potatoes, roast carrots & parsnips, sprouts, cabbage and peas. Followed by Christmas pudding and brandy custard.

Here's another thumbs up for Alix's lemon cake recipe - it was our dessert - moist and good, not too sweet. Thanks, Alix.

I don't know how I missed the whole Hoyt Axton conversation, but wow, I always loved him!!! Nice to see he was as genuine as he seemed to be.

:)Barbara

I don't know how I missed the whole Hoyt Axton conversation, but wow, I always loved him!!! Nice to see he was as genuine as he seemed to be.

:)Barbara

You would have loved him, it was a sad day when he died. The entire town was in mourning. He was real folk, no star about him, unless it was pushed on him. Nothing like hanging out, sipping soda and shooting the breeze with him at 2 in the morning. Happened a few times when I worked in the convenience store.

I made a Brunch on Christmas day that was completely inspired from visual observation of photos here...mostly from the Food Art thread. I made all of these and they were easy, quick, and fun.

I humbly admit :angel: that my guests raved about the taste and presentation of all dishes and I'll be doing the exact same thing next year as requested.

1. Cheese-Mushroom-Sausage-RedPepper Strata
2. Feta-FreshSpinach-Pomegranate Salad
3. Kiwi-PinkGrapefruit-Orange-Pistachio fresh fruit Salad
4. Fresh Avocado Tree (yes I splurged on the star fruit
and put one star on each plate as well. I also sliced a beet
for the trunk and squared it off)
5. Aebleskivers and Morello Cherries
(both prepared from TraderJoes and excellent)

Attachments

• christmas-breakfast-strata.jpg
    christmas-breakfast-strata.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 194
  • foodart-fetaandpomegranatesalad-bywohlners.jpg
    foodart-fetaandpomegranatesalad-bywohlners.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 228
  • foodart-FruitandPomegranate.jpg
    foodart-FruitandPomegranate.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 87
  • foodart-AvocadoTree.jpg
    foodart-AvocadoTree.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 198
  • foodart-Aebleskivers-MorelloCherries.jpg
    foodart-Aebleskivers-MorelloCherries.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 85
Molly, I especially would be headed to tear apart your avocado christmas tree dish...*LOL...avocados are like suger cookies & pastries to me*...Plus, that spread look amazingly well put together too!! *hats off & curtsies to the visual "yumms"*

Our Christmas dinner tradition is going to eat at the Japanese restaurant w/the hibachi grills. Its like a show, &, the food gets cooked to your liking w/the chef right there. Lord knows that I make every other single bloody holiday meal myself, so...X-mas day, is my personal gift, &, I leave it up to the true professionals! PS- Goyza as an appetizer?? *sighs/gasps/dies with smile on my face* LOL :)

Last edited:
I made a Brunch on Christmas day that was completely inspired from visual observation of photos here...mostly from the Food Art thread. I made all of these and they were easy, quick, and fun.

I humbly admit :angel: that my guests raved about the taste and presentation of all dishes and I'll be doing the exact same thing next year as requested.

1. Cheese-Mushroom-Sausage-RedPepper Strata
2. Feta-FreshSpinach-Pomegranate Salad
3. Kiwi-PinkGrapefruit-Orange-Pistachio fresh fruit Salad
4. Fresh Avocado Tree (yes I splurged on the star fruit
and put one star on each plate as well. I also sliced a beet
for the trunk and squared it off)
5. Aebleskivers and Morello Cherries
(both prepared from TraderJoes and excellent)
BEAUTIFUL!! I love all the colors! I Love TJ's stuff!!

Thank you msmofet.

Uh oh, I just looked more closely at the photo up there of the avocado tree and see that they cut out a star shape from a yellow bellpepper.

Oh well, the star fruit I used was fun because none of us had never tasted it before. It wasn't easy to eat because there are tough sections inside the tiny fruit and the peeling is difficult to eat while the fruit itself is soft...just a conflict of textures...but the taste was mild, sweet, and delicious. Plus it's an awesome shape when sliced. The starfruit is probably only 50 cents more than a bell pepper so I would do the star fruit again...if available.

I had to search 3 grocery stores for it...
...found it at Kroger.
Sometimes I just want my way :LOL:

Last edited:
Thank you msmofet.

Uh oh, I just looked more closely at the photo up there of the avocado tree and see that they cut out a star shape from a yellow bellpepper.

Oh well, the star fruit I used was fun because none of us had never tasted it before. It wasn't easy to eat because there are tough sections inside the tiny fruit and the peeling is difficult to eat while the fruit itself is soft...just a conflict of textures...but the taste was mild, sweet, and delicious. Plus it's an awesome shape when sliced. The starfruit is probably only 50 cents more than a bell pepper so I would do the star fruit again...if available.

I had to search 3 grocery stores for it...
...found it at Kroger.
Sometimes I just want my way :LOL:

It still looks fantastic! Good job!

Here were the homemade Pork tamales, refries and rice...it's all covered with cheese and definitely not artistic!'

28716-albums283-picture2464.jpg

Back
Top Bottom