"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Christmas Day Meal - 25 December 2010

So are you having Christmas Dinner, Christmas Lunch or Christmas Brunch?

What's on your table today?

We are having a Christmas Lunch around 2 this afternoon. Baked Ham (brown sugar, honey, spices), scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, snap peas, carrots, rolls.

Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Master Chef
Neighbors and we share holidays. I usually do Thanksgiving, she does Christmas. She does a sort of British prime rib, etc, thing. My job is to keep people out from underfoot. Oh, that's not true. I have a serious job. She usually buys a really great rib roast. I mean, a quality not available here. Has it brought in. But she doesn't have a sharp knife in her kitchen (how can you love to cook and not... oh, well, stay away from that). The first year, she cut it, the second her son did, the third my husband did. I finally, the fourth year said I would,, and realized why no one could get a slice out of this absolutely, positively beautiful roast. Hey, they're cutting it with what might as well be a butter knife. So I slaughtered it that year. Then last year I asked hubby to rosin up the bow, and I'm coming in with my own carving set. This year she specifically asked me to come with my own carving set, because she spends a fortune on this roast and is almost always disappointed ... until last year. Got it. In my own family I'm considered to be the person who can carve a piece of meat. Oh, he--, people, buy a decent carving set. I only use mine a couple times a year, but yes, this gal carries it with her any more! Haha!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Master Chef
That aside, hubby and I are, after he sleeps in, going to have a sort of brunch of fruit, cheese, thin ham slices, and, star of it all, potica, with a bottle of champagne, in front of the fire place and tree. Get me in the mood for slicing a cow. Haha!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Roast 14 lb goose, stewed apples, honeyed butternut squash.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
The menu at Casa de Hoot this Christmas will be a baked Smithfield ham, potato salad,
baby limas and sweet corn cooked with a smoked and peppered hog jowl, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, rolls and for dessert--pecan pie and vanilla ice cream, and plenty of it all.
If you leave this table hungry, it's your own fault.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Shrimp cocktail and champagne for an appetizer. Then I'm going to slice a couple of filets mignon from a whole tenderloin I bought at Costco. They will go with Bearnaise sauce, lyonnaise potatoes and asparagus.

NY Style cheesecake with wild blueberry topping for dessert.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Master Chef
Kim is cooking a big ham, and with that we are having scalloped potatoes, seasoned green beans, "Killer" baked beans, rolls, red velvet cake and apple crumb pie.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Prime Rib
Mashed potatoes
sides from other parts of clan

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Crispy enchiladas and snack mix. Nice and quiet day.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I am 48 years old and will be having Christmas dinner in my own home for the first time, ever. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I still have my Mother and my wife has her parents. We have always traded off going to their homes every year. We are having the traditional turkey dinner, with stuffing, mashed potatos, gravy, green beans. We still have to work our way through tons of leftover food from last night.

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote