Christmas Day Meal - 25 December 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
So are you having Christmas Dinner, Christmas Lunch or Christmas Brunch?

What's on your table today?

We are having a Christmas Lunch around 2 this afternoon. Baked Ham (brown sugar, honey, spices), scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, snap peas, carrots, rolls.

Neighbors and we share holidays. I usually do Thanksgiving, she does Christmas. She does a sort of British prime rib, etc, thing. My job is to keep people out from underfoot. Oh, that's not true. I have a serious job. She usually buys a really great rib roast. I mean, a quality not available here. Has it brought in. But she doesn't have a sharp knife in her kitchen (how can you love to cook and not... oh, well, stay away from that). The first year, she cut it, the second her son did, the third my husband did. I finally, the fourth year said I would,, and realized why no one could get a slice out of this absolutely, positively beautiful roast. Hey, they're cutting it with what might as well be a butter knife. So I slaughtered it that year. Then last year I asked hubby to rosin up the bow, and I'm coming in with my own carving set. This year she specifically asked me to come with my own carving set, because she spends a fortune on this roast and is almost always disappointed ... until last year. Got it. In my own family I'm considered to be the person who can carve a piece of meat. Oh, he--, people, buy a decent carving set. I only use mine a couple times a year, but yes, this gal carries it with her any more! Haha!

Last edited:
That aside, hubby and I are, after he sleeps in, going to have a sort of brunch of fruit, cheese, thin ham slices, and, star of it all, potica, with a bottle of champagne, in front of the fire place and tree. Get me in the mood for slicing a cow. Haha!

The menu at Casa de Hoot this Christmas will be a baked Smithfield ham, potato salad,
baby limas and sweet corn cooked with a smoked and peppered hog jowl, black-eyed peas, mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, rolls and for dessert--pecan pie and vanilla ice cream, and plenty of it all.
If you leave this table hungry, it's your own fault.

Shrimp cocktail and champagne for an appetizer. Then I'm going to slice a couple of filets mignon from a whole tenderloin I bought at Costco. They will go with Bearnaise sauce, lyonnaise potatoes and asparagus.

NY Style cheesecake with wild blueberry topping for dessert.

Kim is cooking a big ham, and with that we are having scalloped potatoes, seasoned green beans, "Killer" baked beans, rolls, red velvet cake and apple crumb pie.

I am 48 years old and will be having Christmas dinner in my own home for the first time, ever. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I still have my Mother and my wife has her parents. We have always traded off going to their homes every year. We are having the traditional turkey dinner, with stuffing, mashed potatos, gravy, green beans. We still have to work our way through tons of leftover food from last night.

Last edited:
We celebrate the Solstice, so we had our big, festive meal already. I made a pork roulade stuffed with dried apricots and prunes. We had trifle for dessert.

Tonight we will probably have pork schnitzel and leftover, mixed, garlic butter tossed vegis. Haven't decided if we will have 'taters or brown, basmati rice yet.

We have a big Christmas dinner...served noonish....

Smoked Duck & Andouille Gumbo
Double Smoked Ham & Sliced Smoked Duck Breast....
Cornbread Dressing ..... Oyster dressing
Candied Sweet Potatoes.....Green Beans with Bacon/Garlic/Tasso
Cranberry Salad....Rolls
Pecan Pie...Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce....Fruit Cake
A Plethora of Candies etc....
Blood Mary's ...Mimosa's...Wines etc.
A Long Winter's Nap........

We will be going to my older son's house this afternoon and having a dinner for 12. He is serving a roast leg of lamb, and also a ham. Everyone is bringing a side and I have my cheesy potato casserole ready for the Nesco roaster.
I also did my favorite broccoli salad. He said to bring a vegetable, and I like that the broccoli salad needs no further attention.
I'm about to go in the kitchen, and make a nice breakfast for the two of us.
Gosh, how I miss Christmas past when the kids were little, and the house was a wreck by now with wrapping paper everywhere.
Merry Christmas.

We will be going to our best friends' house. We had a big dinner over there yesterday (ham and all the fixings) and will munch on leftovers today while we watch a lot of Christmas movies. I can't believe Susan has never seen "Elf!" That will be the first one we watch! Then "It's a Wonderful Life." :cool:

:)Barbara

We are having our Christmas dinner at 2 today. Everyone wanted turkey so that is the main course - with cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, fresh green beans, roast asparagus, cranberry relish, ambrosia, rolls. We already have a lemon meringue pie (the first one I've ever made from scratch) pumpkin pie, fruitcake squares, and various and sundry cookies. I'll need a nap, but won't get one.Dd is bringing another dessert - unknown to me at this time.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I'm so thankful we have a good reason to celebrate this day.

I'm taking it easy today. We will be having a late dinner.

This is the plan at the moment but the menu may change a bit.

Eye Round Roast
Yorkshire Pudding
Burgundy Gravy
Veggies
Mashed red & yukon potatoes
Salad
Cheesecake

Well, let's see. I'll begin with our breakfast. We had coffee, juice, my homemade potica with fresh butter, soft scrambled eggs, and baked blood sausage. Kind of a "soul food" meal from part of my heritage.

As for our Christmas dinner, it's a bit up in the air as we're in the midst of a snowstorm. We were supposed to have gone down the hill (next door) to Glenn's mother's home to have our big meal with his three children, their families and his mother, but many who would've been here and brought food aren't able to travel because of dangerous roads. Not sure what is going to transpire as of this moment.

What we DO have in our house is a big pan of cornbread dressing, several dozen freshly-baked potato rolls and the makings for bourbon balls and...candy that Santa left in our stockings.:LOL:

More later............

Brunch: Blueberry & Sour Cream Scones with butter, OJ and Coffee.

Big meal: Pork Tamales with red chili sauce, Spanish Rice and Refries.

Dessert: Shortbread cookies with Lemon Curd.

Beverages: Blackberry wine, Rum (for me), Macallan 18 year old Scotch for Shrek...various other sodas, coffee etc. until we feel the need for the booze.

Back
Top Bottom