"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #21
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Our prime rib turned out perfect- delishhhh ! so was everyting else, nice dat w/grandsons - but just before they left- 2yr. old got sick -, poor little guy! YT, sorry about your dinner ! I like all vrg's soft, just start DW earlier than yours !

Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #22
Head Chef

Our dinner turned out wonderful even though I did not get but a little taste of the prime rib. Our oldest daughter showed up as a surprise and it made me feel so good to watch her chow down!! She asked if I could send a plate home with her for her SO; I made a plate for both of them to eat later together. Since we had not expected to have anyone come, I had only made just enough to fill her request. I usually fill up on the smell of food cooking and can't eat right then anyway. It was so worth it to see her eyes light up when she saw the big plate of food for her to take home!!!!!!!!!!!! I get much more joy cooking for others!!

Old 12-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #23
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Our dinner turned out wonderful even though I did not get but a little taste of the prime rib. Our oldest daughter showed up as a surprise and it made me feel so good to watch her chow down!! She asked if I could send a plate home with her for her SO; I made a plate for both of them to eat later together. Since we had not expected to have anyone come, I had only made just enough to fill her request. I usually fill up on the smell of food cooking and can't eat right then anyway. It was so worth it to see her eyes light up when she saw the big plate of food for her to take home!!!!!!!!!!!! I get much more joy cooking for others!!
I have done as you many times -guess it's a Mom thing !
Old 12-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
Head Chef

Yup, got to be a Mom thing!! LOL!! I also went through all my cupboards and the giant chest freezer for stuff to send home with her. I do that with the other daughter too; good thing they all love my cooking!!
Old 12-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Yup, got to be a Mom thing!! LOL!! I also went through all my cupboards and the giant chest freezer for stuff to send home with her. I do that with the other daughter too; good thing they all love my cooking!!
Way to go Mom It has to be a mom thing, that urge to feed them, hug them, kiss them til they hollar stop Then you run and get as big a bag or box as you can find and stuff it full of goodies for them to have later..I do the same thing..Just can't help myself. I love the look on their faces as they take a gander at the things to go.
kadesma
Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
...the Sprouts were perfect too, but the wife complained (as usual) coz she likes them Mushy and I don`t, we have that particular arg every year anyway.
Unless you just enjoy the argument (some do!) why not make some of them perfect for you and some of them perfect (mushy) for your wife?

Barbara
Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Our dinner was great and simple. I didn't make much but it was delicious, I sure don't want to waste stomach space on substandard food.
We had
grilled pork tenderloin with a peppercorn mushroom sauce (the sauce was great!)
mashed potatoes with diced bacon and shredded cheese mixed in
To-Die-For Broccoli Rice Casserole
buttermilk biscuits
and kahlua mousse pie

Overall, a great meal.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #28
Executive Chef

I did our dinner at our sons house in Vegas.
He wanted a turkey but had not picked one up Christmas Eve.
He did have a giant pork tenderloin in his freezer.
Baked that, mashed pots, gravy, broccoli, applesauce, yams, garlic bread, stuffing, cherry jello with marshmallows, dutch apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Lot's of wine sans for me, diet dr. pepper berries and cream.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My sister-in-law doesn't like traditional Christmas fare so we have a bunch of different things. I made a Boston butt - I couldn't smoke it due to the weather so I just cooked it low and slow in the oven. I started Christmas Eve afternoon hoping it would be done for some nibbling Christmas Eve - but alas - it wasn't done until 10:00 AM on Christmas morning IT TOOK 20 HOURS TO COOK! But let me tell you it was like butter!!!!!!!!!!!! Made some slaw and some homemade "cidery" thin bbq sauce. Needless to say - we're having left-overs!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote