"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

I'm just about to start our dinner - it's just hubby & I. Am roasting an 11-3/4 pound goose & will be serving it with Port wine gravy, traditional Czech bread dumplings, sauerkraut, a potato gratin, butter-braised Brussels Sprouts, & good old Crescent Rolls - lol.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Bucky T, sorry your family is sick - also sorry that mine is too!

Both DH and I are under the weather to the back up plan of cranberry & wild rice stuffed turkey breast is on hold and the new back up plan is I am boiling some chicken thighs and turning them into soup. So now we have two Christmas dinners to make up - the one with my family and the one I planned when that one got postponed! At least I know we have enough food in this house to last as long as the snow does!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We are having venison. I have a roast that I'm going to slice up, season with garlic/onion powder salt and pepper and then quickly fry in olive oil and butter. I'll serve it with fresh green beans sauted with onions and bacon. We were going to do some potatoes too but we are not really that hungry.

besides we have to save room for our peppermint ice cream dessert
Old 12-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
We are having venison. I have a roast that I'm going to slice up, season with garlic/onion powder salt and pepper and then quickly fry in olive oil and butter. I'll serve it with fresh green beans sauted with onions and bacon. We were going to do some potatoes too but we are not really that hungry.

besides we have to save room for our peppermint ice cream dessert
That sounds wonderful!

We have not felt well today, so our "drive until we find something good that is open" tradition went down the tubes. I had leftover Chinese food for breakfast. This afternoon, when my pain subsided, I had a wonderfully healthy (joking, of course) meal of tortilla chips and salsa, and James had some equally nutritious Doritos (well, at least my salsa had tomatoes and onions, lol), as we sat in bed watching a couple episodes of "Lost in Space" on DVD. Since then I have been nibbling on chocolate covered cherries and Brazil nuts. For entertainment tonight we can just watch my ankles swell!

Barbara
Old 12-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thanks Barbara it will be good!

Hope you feel better!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Add me to the "sick" roster I have a wicked cold which made a tough xmas tougher.. Xmas Eve dinner was, courtesy of mom, absolutle perfection on the culinary end... on the personal side though the family is going through a rough patch... some things that will ultimatley be trivial some things that are major and we will get through but it is not a good time right now there is alot of hurt going around. At least we were together though. Xmas dinner I skipped as I am feeling aweful and had a long drive... I stuck around for the antipasto which is my favorite part anyway... probably shouldnt have eaten all that but what are you to do presented with mounds of prosciuotto de parma and chunks of reggiano etc... hard to pass up..... finally home and trying to wind down.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i had dinner christmas eve, ham, potato salad, baked beans, rolls etc. two desserts.
this am a christmas brunch of scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon and or sausage. cinnamon rolls, and o.j. such few watching the babies open gifts. then home about one pm for a long nap. had left overs from the eve meal.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I don't remember if I posted this in the other thread the other day, but here is what we had.

Italian sausage balls, assorted cheeses and crackers, the cream cheese/jalapeno jelly deal, Jack Daniel's party nuts, fresh pineapple and grapes

veal cannelloni
Italian bread
a salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, hearts of palm, pepperocini, artichoke hearts, croutons, green and black olives and fresh mozzarella balls

butterscotch pound cake
gingerbread and whipped cream
apple pie with caramel drizzled over

eggnog with or without rum, wine, soft drinks, etc.

I am full.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #19
Head Chef

My in-laws made a wonderful supper of ham, scalloped potatoes and stuffing left from last night. Honestly, though, it wouldn't have mattered ... we were just happy to be with DH's family after several days of agonizing over whether or not we would actually make it back to Oregon (because of the weather). While we make it back here every fall (by car), it's been several years since we were back for Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

Today it was just the 4 of us so I made cinnamon pancakes with sausage links for brunch. Then later after #1 son went to work, we had broiled crabcakes and shrimp. We have lots of cookies and sweets to snack on so we went light on the food. Tomorrow the rest of the family is getting together here at my house and we'll have meatballs, homemade pizza, shrimp, hot cider, crackers and cheese, veggie dip and all the assorted cookies and candies and crackerjack.