"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #31
Master Chef

when I was young, it was tourtiere and beets, eaten after midnight mass, while opening presents.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
LOL! My father said that Santa's favorite thing was a bologna sandwich on white bread, so that's what we left out for "Santa".

When I spend Christmas Eve with my mother's side of the family, who were/are Polish, we eat mushroom borscht with hand-picked and home-dried wild mushrooms, cheese and cabbage pierogis and golompki (stuffed cabbage rolls).

I have to come up with an easy breakfast at Mom's for Christmas morning. Probably go with Swedish Oven Pancakes. Whoever posted the recipe put the word "Christmas" next to it, so I'll take that as a sign. Served with some nice breakfast sausages mmmmm!!

Lee

Swedish Oven Pancakes (christmas)
4 Eggs
3 c Milk
4 tb Butter, melted
2 c Flour
1 ts Salt
2 tb Sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a bowl, beat eggs well; add milk, butter, flour, salt, and sugar.
Bake in a greased 9x13 inch pan for about 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately with butter and lots of maple syrup.

I tried this recipe out for a trial before Christmas morning. It is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. I usually make an egg dish but will add this to our breakfast menu on Christmas morning.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #33
Head Chef

I've really enjoyed reading all of your Christmas traditions! When I was a child (50+ years ago), we always had oyster stew for Christmas Eve dinner. Since my children could not look at an oyster without running from the room screaming, I substituted clam chowder while they were growing up. Of course, my children are grown and on their own, and my husband and I are spending our first Christmas here in Mexico since we retired here seven months ago. Our Christmas Eve soup this year will be posole, and we'll be joined by my daughter and her husband, who are arriving Christmas Eve. To go with the posole, we'll have home-made tamales...yum. A different kind of Christmas to be sure, but we will treasure it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #34
Head Chef

After my dad died my sister and I would go out to the kosher deli and take out their hot dogs (with the great kraut), knishes, and anything else we wanted and go back and eat the stuff with my mom.

How that became a tradition I have no idea, although it did not take much prodding for us to go the kosher deli.

And then we would prepare for Christmas.

But that was many years ago and that family is no more.

As much as I would like to resurrect the traditon, we live a prohibitve number of miles from a kosher deli and cannot recreate the food at home (how they made their wonderful sauerkrat, I have no idea).

And so now usually go with take out Chinese, with extra helpings of the peanut butter noodles.

And if Santa wants a helping of lo mein, he is welcome to it. But he better leave those noodles alone.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and best wishes to all.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

auntdot, if there's anything special that i could send you from the city, don't be afraid to ask. it'd be my honor.

i just found out i'll be making a standing rib roast for christmas day. my first one was a disaster, so i'll be searching the forum, and any persional tips will be appreciated. btw, my oven only goes up to 490 or so, even though it is marked for 550.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 AM   #36
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Buckytom, Iam also fixing a standing rib for Christmas, Oam going to try -Paula's (Deens) foolproof standing rib roast. I don't know how to -(cut and paste the recipe} It has very good reviews - check it out ! Hope this helps a little !
Old 12-18-2006, 07:10 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks barb. will do.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I really enjoyed reading about everyone's traditions.
Christmas Eve is our day as a small family of 4. This year we will be going to church for our morning worship and then again at 7. At some point between the two services I'll make something that the kids want for dinner (I haven't been informed yet). When we get home they each get to open two gifts. One is always Christmas pajamas and the other is always a toy.
Santa eats milk and cookies at my house (wish I had thought of the brie and wine) so we'll put those out and the kids go to bed.
DH and I of course stay up making sure that Santa put everything together and then we get our breakfast casseroles underway.
Christmas morning usually comes (and goes) too quickly. My parents come for breakfast and then we enjoy the day until that night when again, we get together with my parents, my brother and his family, and my grandparents.
Christmas Eve Eve I will be entertaining my husband's very large family for brunch and then having a big party with close friends that night.
WOW! I'm tired just thinking about it all!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
Head Chef

I love Holiday traditions! It seems that they are the only thing stable in our everchanging world. Christmas Eve dinner is always at Mom and Dad's. We always have codfish cakes, oyster stew, steamed shrimp and assorted sides. Christmas day lunch is at my house. No standing menu for this, just whatever I come up with. This year It's fresh ham stuffed with greens, chipotle spiked potato salad, bacon wrapped lil smokies, deviled eggs, antipasti platter, baked brie, assorted cheese and crackers.