christmas menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have any traditions you already abide by? I would suggest you plan a turkey that is about 12lbs or so. Then look for a good stuffing recipe on here. There are scads of them. Potatoes are always important. There are lots of recipes on here for that too. I tend to go with oven roasted after tossing in olive oil and coarse salt. That way people can use a lot of gravy! Do at least one veggie side dish. And for dessert, there is that fabulous cheesecake recipe in Desserts under "I have acheived no crack status".

masteraznchefjr said:
i need help planning a christmas dinner for 8 or 9

Providing you want turkey, this is what I have done:

18 lb turkey w/giblets, neck, etc in bag in cavity. Rinse giblets/neck/etc and place in pot and fill with water, add chopped onion and simmer. Neck meat can be removed and chopped to add to stuffing, as can other items, if you want. Rince cavity of turkey and add s/p to taste and fill with stuffing, can also stuff under neck skin. Seal with skewers or sew with baking thread. Rub melted butter or oil on skin and s/p to taste, adding garlic powder and onion powder. Roast according to instructions on plastic wrap around turkey.

1 box Marie Cubbison's seasoned cornbread stuffing, make according to directions on box, add chopped water chestnuts, neck meat, use stock.

4 lbs potatoes, preferably russet, boil potatoes in skin and peel after cooking, add 1/2 cup buttermilk, s/p to taste and whip/mash, add butter to taste, chives, roasted chopped garlic. If more liquid is needed add more buttermilk gradually until desired consistency.

1 lb each brussel sprouts and baby carrots Cut bottom of sprout, remove darkened leaves and make an "X" on bottom, and cut large ones in half. Cook both until desired doneness. Melt 1/2/ stick butter in a sauce pan and add 1/4 cup dejon mustard, and 1 Tbs roasted whole mustard seeds and add sprouts and carrots and toss to coat.

2 each delicatta squash and acorn Slice in half and remove seeds, s/p to taste place cut side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast until done. Remove meat from shells, add 1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup chopped roasted pecans and mix well. Top with nutmeg and butter to serve. Add more butter and/or maple syrup if needing more moisture.

I am sorry I do not have exact measurements, but I eyeball it. My measurements are estimates.

medium rare tenderloin, roasted potatoes (parsley, pepper, salt, garlic and onion powders, paprika, rosemary. coat in butter, bake at 375, till crispy and brown) green beans almandine, rolls/butter, wine, cheesecake and cordials or coffee for dessert.
as pre-meal munchies, chocolates and spiced nuts.

I like to par-boil my potatoes before I roast them, it ensures that they are nicely cooked and I think helps them to get a crisper outside.

A seven rib roast with Yorkshire pudding (you may want to have the roast divided into three and four rib roasts, and start the three rib roast a bit earlier than the four if there are folk who like their meat well done.)

Potatoes cooked around the meat.

Sauteed mushrooms and fresh peas.

Asparagus.

Appetizers and desserts of your choosing.

For the number of persons, do the turkey, but a bit bigger than Alix suggests...try 15-16 lbs...

Check out "Breads and Cornbreads" listings. GoodWeed and I got into it on making "stuffing", there are some good thoughts that you may profit by...

Mashed potato, of course...

Steamed carrots and/or peas, done very quickly in a steamer basket...

Dunno about sweet potato...the Americans tastes are all for it!...but you could do a rutabaga, skinned and thoroughly boiled, add a boiled potato, mash together thoroughly with a half cup of maple syrup or a half cup brown sugar, and a half cup butter/margerine...

Dessert? Well, here, bring on the Pumpkin Pie and whipped cream, the "Peninsula Pie peculiarto the Niagara Peninsula, or the Christmas Pudding with Sauce (might be tough to source this in Guam!)(if that's where you are!)...shortbreads, cookies, slices orthe like, otherwise!

Don't keep yourself from offering "appetizers" as listed on this Board, either!

I'm not sure this "helps" in the South Pacific locale you post from, but where we are presently being entirely coated with umpteen inches of snow (better than the West, where its colder than Charity!), its our menu!

God Bless, and hope you make the best of it all!

Lifter

auntdot said:
A seven rib roast with Yorkshire pudding (you may want to have the roast divided into three and four rib roasts, and start the three rib roast a bit earlier than the four if there are folk who like their meat well done.)

Potatoes cooked around the meat.

Sauteed mushrooms and fresh peas.

Asparagus.

Appetizers and desserts of your choosing.

I am on my way, auntdiot, I will bring brie with mushrooms carmelized in white vermouth and minced garlic wrapped in puff pastry. OK?????

I don't feel like makin Baklava so I think I will just get some from the Arabic Bakery here in Dearborn Michigan. Its to die for.

I usually dress a good bone-in ham with cloves, pineapple and brown sugar.

Bang, I love spinach and cheese, how do you make that spinach and cheese pie?.

Bangbang said:
I don't feel like makin Baklava so I think I will just get some from the Arabic Bakery here in Dearborn Michigan. Its to die for.
grrrrrr, your family and your country are to die for. baklava is tasty. :D
btw, what kind of nuts are in yours? and is it honey or simple syrup on yours?

Bang being non-responsive to these posts, give me a prompt in the morning, and I will look up my wife's recipe's for baklava that have turned out very well (non-commercial, "do-it-yourself" style...may or may not include "tweakings")...likewise we have a couple spinach in phyllo recipe's...

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom