"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Christmas Party Dinner, Dec 10th

Hi All,

I have been doing some Personal Chef work inbetween my job to make extra money, and last night I catered a Dinner party for 10. On the menu was Organic Greens tossed in Raspberry-Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette, with fresh seasonal pears and shaved parmesan cheese. The second course was Pan-roasted Filet Mignon wrapped in Pancetta, ontop of Roasted Garlic mashed potato's with Asparagus, and topped with caramelized shallots and Demi-glace. Alongside a Puff Pastry star was served, topped with a Wild-Mushroom Ragout, and shredded Beef Tenderloin. Dessert was 3 Miniature dessert's. Mocha Cheesecake with Espresso Creme Anglaise, and Chocolate sauce, topped with vanilla whipped cream, shaved chocolate, and cracked sugar. Bread Pudding, on Cinnamon Anglaise, and Chocolate Sauce. Then last but not least Chocolate Torte with Raspberry sauce, Chocolate sauce, and Creme Anglaise.

It all worked out very well and everyone loved it. I took a few pictures and I thought I would share them here, since I havent posted in a while.

Thanks
Josh

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filetmignon.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	729   Click image for larger version

Name:	tredesserts.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	730  

Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Well Josh... You've made me hungry!

Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I think it's amazing when a young man realizes his passion. That is wonderful. I think your pix are lovely and I am happy that you've found a nitch that you enjoy so much. My two sons love cooking too. But not the passion you have for it. Continued good fortune.

I see you're in Sacto. We used to live in Roseville/Granite Bay. Lovely there. Best part of living there, such good food to be had.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the kind comments

I live in Antelope now, very close to Roseville. Its a pretty nice area. Next year I will be in SF at CCA, and I am really looking forward to the constant supply of REALLY fresh Seafood that will be available there!

Josh
Old 12-12-2005, 03:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Josh, the food looked pretty good. Were those your own plates that you used, or do you usually use china provided by the dinner host? The reason I'm asking is because if you are responsible for the china, you should consider investing in larger plates in different shapes so that you can have more spacing and give yourself more options when plating.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, josh, great pics, and nice menu too!

if i were in a restaurant here in the nyc area, i would have ordered that in a second, a la carte. i would see it being $10 to $12 for the salad, $25 to $45 for the entree (depending on the beef), and $10 to $15 for the dessert.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Ironchef, I usually run with whatever the dinner/party host has. I dont have enough plates to cater to more than a few people yet. The plates in the picture were workable ( They belonged to the host) but I agree and whole heartedly embrace large white plates. I love a blank canvas. I am going to invest in a plate collection soon, my local resteraunt supply store is like a candy shop for me. All the food was great, the presentation turned out alright, but I am my own worst critic and I now notice a lot of things I could have done to make it better.

By the way , Ive seen a few of your threads, and your stuff is really awesome, keep up the great work. Especially the Tomato salad and the Deconstructed Kung Pao chicken. I am cooking a dinner for 20 this Sunday and I was planning on using the paintbrush method to dress the bottom of a plate under a small mound of pasta with 2 opposing crescent shaped stripes of Basil oil and Red pepper oil.

Thanks everyone,

Josh
Old 12-13-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
Executive Chef

If you can afford to do it, you should go for it. You know yourself that it will make a difference, and you'll feel better about it because the food is yours. No point in restricting your presentation options.

One of my favorite plates to use now is a long, 8" x 17" (approx.) white rectangular plate. You can really break down and seperate the components of a dish so that the guest doesn't mix everything together and make all the flavors ubiquitous. I should've taken a picture of it, but I ran a steak special that incorporated this technique. It was from left to right, a 6 oz. Petite Niman Ranch Filet Mignon with a Cognac Demi and Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam, Creamed Fresh Sweet Corn and Leeks, Sauteed Matsutake Mushrooms with a Truffle Jus, Mousseline of Salsify with a Lemon-Asparagus Gastrique. Looked and tasted really nice but the prep was a killer.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Josh, you are such a genius!! You got a great future ahead of you that I can be sure!! Keep up the great job!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
If you can afford to do it, you should go for it. You know yourself that it will make a difference, and you'll feel better about it because the food is yours. No point in restricting your presentation options.

One of my favorite plates to use now is a long, 8" x 17" (approx.) white rectangular plate. You can really break down and seperate the components of a dish so that the guest doesn't mix everything together and make all the flavors ubiquitous. I should've taken a picture of it, but I ran a steak special that incorporated this technique. It was from left to right, a 6 oz. Petite Niman Ranch Filet Mignon with a Cognac Demi and Caramelized Sweet Onion Jam, Creamed Fresh Sweet Corn and Leeks, Sauteed Matsutake Mushrooms with a Truffle Jus, Mousseline of Salsify with a Lemon-Asparagus Gastrique. Looked and tasted really nice but the prep was a killer.
I actually do have a 8x17, heres a picture. Some sushi and seared Ahi that I made for my gf's birthday.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Josh1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	748