"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #11
Head Chef

Nasty day here and I don't feel much like cooking....Subway sammie......

Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

Tonight is cream of mushroom soup, a scoop of cabbage salad and a dish of strawberries.

My cream of mushroom soup was sort of homemade!

I cleaned and chopped a 9 ounce box of baby bella mushrooms, put them in a casserole dish with a shot of cognac, S&P, a shake of celery seed and another shake of dehydrated onion, a squirt of Worcestershire sauce, a can of Campbell's Healthy Request COMS and a half can of water, put the lid on and baked it for an hour at 375 degrees.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

Taco Salads with hamburger and homemade taco seasoning, canned salsa spiced up with cumin and ancho chili pepper, sour cream, white beans, lettuce, tomato, jalepenos, and cut up tortillas crisped up with oil in the oven.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I mixed up some Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt and Mural of Flavor with home-grown rosemary and sage and rubbed it under the skin of four chicken thighs, brushed the outside with soy sauce, then put them in the oven to roast.

I'll serve them with pan-fried polenta and braised green beans in chicken broth and Penzey's freeze-dried shallots and Fox Point seasoning.
Really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1463704592840.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24782  
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Since SC does all of the supermarket shopping, I thought I'd check out a brand new store a few miles away after I got my hair cut. Wow, what a beautiful huge store with lots of things I've never seen.

Anyway, I got some of the makings for a southern dinner with beautiful bulk Kale and Mustard greens. I also found a smoked turkey wing and a bag of frozen black eyed peas, along with a frozen bag of pearl onions. I'm going to use my new ham flavored BTB for the broth. Oh boy, it's going to smell good around here and my beautiful Allclad
saute pan with lid got here yesterday!
I'll take a picture later.
It was foodgasmic to quote CG. I love my new saute' pan and it was perfect for this.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

Ya like that word, eh Kay? It's on our "hits list", too. And really love those kinds of meals. I planned on a ham/beans/greens meal for us next week.

I had leftover mac&cheese from a few days ago, made a bowl of coleslaw last night, and picked up fried fish at the grocery store, prepared as I did my shopping. Himself took care of dessert (for himself), cutting up a mango and an overripe pear while I was gone. I told him he should add some of the pineapple I cut up last night and he'll have enough for two servings...for himself. I'm not a fan of mango. Instead, I'll fix a bowl of orange segments, fresh strawberries, and a slice kiwi for my dessert. We've been on a real fruit kick around here lately.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
Master Chef

Just as a footnote for anyone interested in the carbs of my meal tonight. I've been craving a good fiber, and the black eyed peas with the meal tonight turned out to be only 17g for my portion of carbs because of the fiber. It was sooo delicious and satisfying.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I posted a recipe yesterday in another thread and decided it looked so good, I'd have it tonight. So tonight is baked chicken breast with a balsamic vinegar sauce.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:56 AM   #19
Master Chef

Mmmm....good lookin' pics, GG and Kay.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Just as a footnote for anyone interested in the carbs of my meal tonight. I've been craving a good fiber, and the black eyed peas with the meal tonight turned out to be only 17g for my portion of carbs because of the fiber. It was sooo delicious and satisfying.

That soup sounds really good Kay. I would change the kale to collards or just all mustard greens because neither of us likes the texture of kale for some reason. I'll have to remember this when my collards are big enough to start harvesting, which shouldn't be too much longer.

Tags
dinner