Clang! Clang! Dinner bell's ringing - Thurs. May 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night was grilled hot dogs and 2 homemade salads - kidney and cannellini bean salad and macaroni salad.

That soup sounds really good Kay. I would change the kale to collards or just all mustard greens because neither of us likes the texture of kale for some reason. I'll have to remember this when my collards are big enough to start harvesting, which shouldn't be too much longer.
Glad to hear that there are others out there who don't like kale. Himself and I have given up trying them. Greens is greens, they all have nutrition, just differing amount of nutrients.

That isn't so much a soup as a very brothy one-pot dish. I've made "ham and beans and collard greens" a lot in the past year. Usually a meaty hambone, although a ham steak or a smoked pork hock work too. Usually collard greens, and usually cannellini beans. Always good. If you aren't watching carbs, the juices are made for sopping up with a piece of crusty bread.

Kayelle, I liked the way you used the smoked turkey wing. Some of the stores around by us sell smoked turkey drumsticks. I should give it a go with that next time!

Glad to hear that there are others out there who don't like kale. Himself and I have given up trying them. Greens is greens, they all have nutrition, just differing amount of nutrients.

I haven't even tried kale. Don't like cooked leaves much and I'm not supposed to eat a lot of high fiber foods.

I haven't even tried kale. Don't like cooked leaves much and I'm not supposed to eat a lot of high fiber foods.

You definitely wouldn't like kale then. I think it has even more fiber (or something) than collard greens or mustard greens. It has always seemed to retain that curly rough texture no matter how long or how I've cooked it. We also just don't like the taste much. I like the bitterness in broccoli rabe (Craig doesn't) but kale just turns me off.

Surprisingly I liked the smoked turkey wing even better than a ham hock for this dish. I think a smoked turkey drumstick would be even better though. Kale has to be cooked a long time compared to other greens. We enjoy the flavor and most of all, that it holds up well. I also particularly like turnip greens for it's peppery flavor and I cooked it only half the time of the kale. I've never liked "mushy" canned black eye peas, and only use frozen as fresh can't be found in these parts. They're cute too. ;)

Thanks for all the interest.

I love using smoked turkey parts in soups and stews. Such a nice flavor.

Not a big kale fan either, I've only had it a few times.

You definitely wouldn't like kale then. I think it has even more fiber (or something) than collard greens or mustard greens. It has always seemed to retain that curly rough texture no matter how long or how I've cooked it. We also just don't like the taste much. I like the bitterness in broccoli rabe (Craig doesn't) but kale just turns me off.

Growing up in this town, I have never understood the love of bitter foods that Italians just can't get enough of. Then to offset that they fill up on the sweetest, richest desserts. Completely baffle me. :angel:

For those of you who don't like kale, my guess is that it wasn't cooked long enough.
As far as kale goes, if it isn't the way I like it after an hour, it isn't worth cooking. That's how long I let it go in a pot of stuff. Some kind of cheap-foods soup thingy. It was still so chewy that Himself asked if I had bought a real vegetable, or was I using the plastic ruffle that divides the sections at a salad bar. :LOL:

Now, to be clear, the ONLY variety of kale they sell around by us is the curly kale. I've seen Tuscan kale online and it looks like a completely different animal. I would think that variety would cook nicely and give you a nice "bite" without being tough.

Back
Top Bottom