"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i don't really like coffee at all but i do like french vanilla capuccino from the gas station lol

Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
i don't really like coffee at all but i do like french vanilla capuccino from the gas station lol
lol, middie, do they have a sign in front of the coffee / food counter that says, "eat here, and get gas"?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

I used to NEED a cup of coffee in the morning before I could do anything other than grunt. Thank god for my wife, she understood my grunts and also understood that I was not to be held accountable for anything before having a cup. I have since quit having coffee every morning because the caffeine was causing me some trouble. I still have a cup every once in a while, but very rarely. I wake up much better without it now. I am am much more pleasant person in the morning since I quit. It took me about 3 weeks to get over the dependence, but I am so happy I did.

When I go out for breakfast (which is rare) I will get a cup and on the weekends when it is a beautiful morning my wife and I will still go out and sit by the pool in our bathrobes and have a cup, but that is maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I don't miss the coffee that much, but sometimes I miss the routine. I just really loved the smell and the warm cup in my hand.

I drink it black or as they said when we were in Jamaica, straight from the mountain. I enjoy it very strong, but there is a difference between strong and burnt or over roasted like Starbucks.

Gevalia is not bad and they usually give you a free coffee maker if you place an order of like $10 or so. I did that to get my coffee maker when I went to college. The coffee maker is well worth $10 so I thought it was a great deal. I canceled right after also and they never bothered me again.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:41 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
lol, middie, do they have a sign in front of the coffee / food counter that says, "eat here, and get gas"?
no silly but maybe they should??? lol
Old 10-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I like those roadside restaurants that have a neon sign saying "Dine Here" and the "n" is missing. That, or "Good Foo"
Old 10-07-2004, 03:40 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Taster's Choice, hot and black. Three 16 ounce cups the first hour and a half I'm up. Little or none after that.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

And Otter, how many times do you have to go to the bathroom before noon?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Like Dove I like Splenda. Used to be the absolute highlight of my day...that first cup of coffee in the morning...that first sip with sugar and half and half....ahhhhh...heaven. Then I started using Splenda (unwillingly at first) and fat free half and half. So, about a week later I made it my old way as a "treat" and had to throw it out - YUCK - too sugary. Which actually is a good thing.

So...Splenda and fat free half and half - and I tend to like the African coffees or a real honest-to-goodness Costa Rican.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #29
Certified Executive Chef

I like a bold, rich and flavorful coffee, no sugar or cream, black. I get beans from Starbucks and prever the Summatra, Sulganese (think I spelled that wrong), Kenya and the expresso, French Roast is good as well. The are all dark roasted beans. The African beans are richer, but I also like Columbian coffee. I am a coffee snob and if it has been sitting on the burner for over 20 minutes it is UGH. I grind my own beans every morning and make one cup at a time in my French coffee press. My coffee pot, which I got from Gevalia, is a thermos and the water is on nearly all day. Occasionally I like a Cappaccino or Latte. My father was also a coffee drinker and he told me when he was growing up in Norway there was always one of those campfire type pots, which held 2-3 gallons was always on the pot belly stove. They would put a couple cups of grounds in the bottom and fill with water, when the coffee was gone they would add more fresh grounds and egg shells and fill again with water. When the pot was so full of grounds that you could not add any more, it was taken to the garden as mulch. He said when the pot was nearly ready to be mulch the coffee was so think it was like molasses. He said it was the best tasting coffee he had ever had.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:45 PM   #30
Hospitality Queen

norgeskog, you are quite a vivid writer.
I can almost smell the coffee!
Thank you for sharing your dad's memory!