Collecting food stuffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I know people collect all kinds of stuff, I am in the process of collecting EVOO and Vinegar... I read a intresting thread on egullet last night about honey and now I am geeked about that, and my wife tried yellow BBQ sauce , i think it's mustard based and now she wants more....
do any of you have a pantry full of some condiment?

Hot sauces. I have more than I will ever use. I don't buy them that frequently anymore as I just don't have the room for it, but when an interesting one catches my eye or I taste a new one that I really like then the collection just grows bigger :chef:

Honey would be a great thing to collect. That is even something you could pass down from generation to generation as honey is the ONLY food that does not spoil.

I've usually got 4 or 5 EVOOs on the go at any one time - simply because I use different ones for different style dishes. I don't keep any more than that, simply because once open, they need to be used quickly before some of the wonderful flavours are lost.

I only have 2 balsamic vinegars on the go at any one time - one a good aged one, one less so.

Vinegars - I've got white vinegar, brown malt vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar and cider vinegar!

I make my own vinegars and extracts, so I have more than I could ever use. But I often gift them in pretty bottles in baskets.

I dehydrate alot also so I have tons of powders, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, carrot, celery, garlic, etc.

I'm like Ishbel -- maybe 3 Evoos going and a boatload of vinegars. Red and White wine, 2 sherrys, 2 balsamics, champagne, cider and malt. And habernaro.

But my fridge is overloaded with maybe 25 kinds of hot sauce. My friends mock me for this ....:( That and my cheese fetish.:pig:

I have purchased some great honey in Europe (Fortnam and Mason and in Italy) but in the US I have found interesting honeys are harder to find. You see them at farmer's markets but not so much in stores.

Last edited:
hot sauces: frank's, crystal, badia louisiana, rex, tobasco, goya, ay carumba, sriracha, el yucateo, melinda's, dave's insanity, busha brown's, dat'l do-it, smack my a$$ and call me sally, and a few homemade ones, my best of which is called bucky's rocket fuel to uranus.

mustards: guldens, coleman's, maille, chinese (i forget the name), grey poupon, and stonewall kitchens.

i also have several types of dried hot peppers, flavored vinegars, peppercorns and sea salts

Beer, wines, and assorted glassware for the beers...

Big surprise, huh?? :-p

John

Herbs and spices...I have many, and use them a lot.
It's gotten to the point where so many prepared foods taste too salty to me, and I think it's because, while I do salt my food moderately, a lot of the flavor comes from other ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom