Columbus day, Canadian Thanksgiving, or whatcha eating 10-13-14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i figure since today is columbus day in america, and canadian thanksgiving, we should get the ball rolling on the dinner thread.

i have to work until 8a, but after a short sleep i'm going to get up and teach my boy how to make chilli. with both beans and meat.
if there's time, we're going to make ghost chili sauce and craig's brother's pepper jelly.

then i plan on going to a store that is having a columbus day sale, walk in and take what i want claiming i discovered it. then i'll tell them that canadians actually invented the holiday and escape.

;)

lol, sooooo, what's on your table this october 13th, 2014?

Last edited:
Wow, Bucky T, you are really eager for dinner! When you posted it was still Sunday here! ;)

I am getting spoiled today. I had to cancel the dinner with the kids and their Mom because my in-laws are going away soon and want TB to fix their TV and for me to go online to book their trip home at Christmas from Palm Springs (they are snowbirds!).

So, we are picking Chinese food up on our way there.

Then the mom called and asked if we could come for lunch and eat the turkey leftovers from her dinner today with her parents. She kept saying "the kids would love to see you", but I could tell in her heart she really wanted to cook dinner for us, even if it IS leftovers. I'm not eating turkey, but there are a lot of veggies and I am taking a salad.

I went to the store this morning and got some bone in pork chops, so I am making breaded pork chops cooked in the oven. Along with those we will have mashed potatoes and stewed tomatoes. For dessert it's going to be cherry pie.

We're doing leftovers here too. Can't decide between turkey a la king or hot turkey sandwiches.

There are new and massive roadworks between me and my job - causing immense tailbacks and aggravation all round.

What does this have to do with my meal today you may be wondering?

Well, sitting in an interminable queue this morning I was determined to find another route to bypass the roadworks (which are going to be there for the next YEAR!!)

So, I discussed the options with a couple of people today and then this evening, I set off to investigate a rural route with my brother Ollie, which just happened to end up outside an "award winning" fish and chip shop. Convenient, no? :cool:

There are new and massive roadworks between me and my job - causing immense tailbacks and aggravation all round.

Well, sitting in an interminable queue this morning I was determined to find another route to bypass the roadworks (which are going to be there for the next YEAR!!)

So, I discussed the options with a couple of people today and then this evening, I set off to investigate a rural route with my brother Ollie, which just happened to end up outside an "award winning" fish and chip shop. Convenient, no? :cool:

Maybe you and Mr. p could carpool. ;)

I too have been dealing with road construction all summer. I found a rural route that takes me east of the City and has me coming in from the east end. Only, there are no award winning eating places on my cross-country route. But, it does take 30 minutes less time each way (normally would take me 45-50 minutes to get my client's site. The x-country route is about 10 minutes longer travel time, but because there is no construction, it takes less time then if I were to drive through the City). It is also more relaxing to drive x-country than it is to deal with City traffic, stop and go, new road closures/detours, accidents, etc. Sometimes, the scenic route is a better choice.

Last edited:
I mixed some leftover taco meat into some leftover tomato Mexican rice soup, and crunched in some Tostitos along with shredded cheddar. I love soup weather!

Good ole grilled Rib Eye steaks tonight. The side is "Polenta Provencale" with spinach & peas in a spicy cream sauce..a new item from Trader Joe's.

Defibulator paddles on stand by.

I had leftover vegetable barley soup from yesterday. Turned out delicious! Good thing, because as usual I made too much. :)

Almost-meatless Monday

Technically, it wasn't meat since it was cod. Our dinner tonight was more like Monochromatic Monday. :ermm: Fried cod, oven baked potato wedges, buttercup squash mashed with sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese. The plate looked like my back yard ground: hues of golden beige, orange, and very pale brown.

First time we had buttercup squash. It was too sweet for us to use as a side dish in spite of the sharp cheddar and generous grind of fresh pepper. Moving on to the another variety later this week.

To celebrate Thanksgiving, we at least had poultry, "tandoori chicken". I grilled it, since the weather was cooperating. I grilled some vegis too and nuked some already cooked brown basmati rice. lt's the first time I have grilled vegis. I burnt some of them. Some got a nice char. This has definite potential. We had an Indian chicken dish for Thanksgiving last year. One more year and I will call it a tradition.

10352253_10154716015855191_3732764935064792990_n.jpg

Stuffed shells with tomato sauce from the freezer, a salad, and fresh made garlic rolls. Plus, we had an errand to run that took us by the Cheesecake Factory. So guess what we had for dessert, though we only made it half-way thru each of our pieces.

Back
Top Bottom