"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Sous Chef
I'm really worried about our bees, but that's another story.

I first had comb honey when I was a kid, had it a few times since. Good Stuff! Wife brought a square home a while back, I cut out a chunk, don't know what happened to the rest. Overall comb honey is a bit more of a mess than I care to deal with.

I buy raw honey by the quart or gallon from local bee keepers. Pretty much the only processing done to this honey is spinning and straining. Far more flavorful than the overly processed store bought stuff. But then this honey is from a variety of plants so it will tend to have unique characteristics.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Head Chef
When I helped, one year, with bees and taking the honey out of the combs (in a spinner), I had to break the comb (top) so the honey would flow out. It's by far easier to leave the honey in the comb for sale, if the market would support it. You could probably find it by asking any bee keeper (or the farmers that let them keep their hives on the farm). ~bliss

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Master Chef
Hubby used to do beekeeping and had honeycomb , I don't recall we ever ate the honeycomb. I know he used the spinner to get the honey off. He doesn't do beekeeping since bears destroyed the wooden hives about 10 yrs. ago.

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote