"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #11
Master Chef

Oatmeal with brown sugar and butter drowned in milk. My family had this at least once a week when I was a kid. My other comfort food is white rice, granulated sugar, and milk. My mom used to eat this when she was young and told me about it one day. It has been a favorite of mine ever since. Biscuits and gravy are another of my comfort foods. It reminds me of my grandma. She made the best biscuits and gravy.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #12
Hospitality Queen

Another one, from Grandma:
we'd pick giant figs from her tree (and I mean GIANT!), peel them and dice them, put them into a bowl and pour cream or whole milk till they were about 1/2 covered and then about 2 tsp of granulated sugar. AAAAHHHH!

Also, any pasta alfredo is a major comfort food!

Old 06-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

I agree with Andy M. that anything that brings back fond memories of your younger years is comcort food. For me, some of it is a New England boiled dinner, chicken fricasee, spaghetti, cinnamon toast (a real treat) . I could go on and on, but you get the drift.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
Head Chef

Soup is one of my big comfort foods. Tomato soup, chicken and dumplings, creamy chicken and rice, mom's vegetable beef soup, ect.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
Master Chef

Anything with mashed potatoes or pasta, and just about any soup or stew.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

thank you all so much for your replies! All your answers really helped me a lot. Does anyone have any healthy comfort food recipes? Are there any out there at all? I am pretty sure that anything that is healthy is not really comforting, but if anyone knows any let me know PLEASE!! thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

My favorite comfort food is grilled cheese. Mmmm. :) Or a peanut butter sandwich, with lots of PB.

I'm sure there's healthy comfort food. Homemade chicken noodle soup is another one of my favorites and it's pretty healthy.

Sara

"Cheese makes life worth living." - me
Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My favorite comfort foods are pretty much anything with gravy or sauce (mashed potatoes and gravy, beef stew, porcupine meatballs with potatoes and the sauce from the meatballs, etc.), macaroni and cheese, tuna noodle casserole, and (like SierraCook) oatmeal with butter, brown sugar, and milk.

Healthy comfort foods? Hmmmm I will have to think about that one!

Barbara
Old 06-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #19
Head Chef

S'mores!!!

We are up to 5 generations now of having s'mores for picnic desserts. My mom is 83, I'm 58, my niece is 30, and her oldest is 8. My mom's mom was still a relatively young 40 something when I was first introduced to that family tradition, finishing off the last coals of the fire (that was used to roast the hot dog weenies) by cooking marshmallows golden brown and completely soft through. Then transferring them to the sandwich so fast that you still burned your tongue on the first bite, with marshmallow and melted chocolate oozing out the sides.... mmmmmm boy!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

this may be a little weird, but chicken parm is a comfort food to me. it was my mom's best dish, along with pot roast mashed, peas, and gravy.

when i had my wisdom teeth removed, my mom happened to make chicken parm that day for the family. i loved it so much i threw some in a blender with extra sauce and spaghetti, since i wasn't allowed to eat anythng solid for a few days. mmmmm, chicken parm and spaghetti paste...